Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fracture tool opinions

Discussion in 'Physics' started by poony, Jan 28, 2015.

1. poony

poony

Hi all,

I'm looking to use a fracturing tool for my next project in Unity, and came across some potential options in the Unity Asset Store such as:
    -Fracture, and
    -Ultimate Fracturing & Deconstruction

However, before committing $50 to either product, I was hoping if I could get some insight from users who have used both or either tool.

In particular, I'd like to know the following:
    -Can you only fracture basic primitive objects (i.e., only cubes, cylinders, spheres)
    -Can you apply fractures to imported meshes (e.g., from Blender or 3DS Max)?
    -Can you fracture meshes created in GameDraw?
    -Can you destroy a mesh in one shot instead of chipping away at it? (e.g., if I shot a rocket at a wall, I'd expect the wall to be obliterated, instead of chipped)

2. JJDeveloper

JJDeveloper

Support this: http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggest...ntation-of-the-standard-fracture-script-asset

There should really be a Unity standard that has no (or few) bugs created by the actual Unity team, and that is up to date with the current version of Unity. Now that Unity 5 is out, those fracture scripts may not work as well, as even one of the authors has said he was worried it would not work properly with Unity 5.