Search Unity

FR: Additional Strokes/Outlines

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by xZanrok, Aug 9, 2019.

1. xZanrok

xZanrok

Posting this on the main thread for better visibility per Stephan's request.

I was wondering if support could be made so we could add multiple Outlines (strokes) to a TMP object... so we could create a text material with say 3 Strokes. A lot of our artists like to use photoshop to create their fonts and photoshop has the ability to hit (+) to add multiple strokes to a font. Ideally, it could be a matter of modifying the original shader to support additional outlines and then when activated they would be used, otherwise it would only use 1 outline.

Hopefully something like this can be added relatively easily as it would extremely beneficial for our games.

Thank you!

2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

This would be a cool feature. Currently, I use the Underlay like a second outline, or I offset it to make an outline fatter in a single direction.

C1.PNG

xZanrok likes this.
  3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Similar functionality has been requested before including multiple outlines, underlay channels, glow channels, etc.

Although this type of functionality could be achieved by providing adding shaders, the number of options / permutations would make this hard to manage.

I believe a better solution might be to provide some template / base SDF shaders designed using Shader Graph where users could then tweak these to add these types of additional features.

xZanrok likes this.