Search Unity

FPSSample license

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by Pio_pio, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Pio_pio

Pio_pio

i have a doubt, can i use for commercial purposes? if i make a multiplayer game, not a fps, unity would have the intellectual property of my project?

2. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

Yes, you can use it commercially

3. Yes, you can use it. No, Unity wouldn't own your IP, although you wouldn't own these assets as well. So anyone can use them and you can't sue them (well, you can, but you probably lose). But your work is yours.

4. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Be sure you read the legal stuff, or your 'team does' so you know it first hand. Here are some snip-its from those files, but you will need to read: http://www.unity3d.com/legal/licenses/Unity_Companion_License.

FPS Sample 2.0 Readme.MD <Bottom>
    ## License

Our intention is that you can use everything in this project as a starting
    point or as bits and pieces in your own Unity games. For the legal words, see
    [LICENSE.md](LICENSE.md).

FPS SAMPLE 2.0 LICENSE.MD

Copyright (c) 2018 Unity Technologies ApS

Licensed under the Unity Companion License for Unity-dependent projects--see [Unity Companion License](http://www.unity3d.com/legal/licenses/Unity_Companion_License).

Unless expressly provided otherwise, the Software under this license is made available strictly on an “AS IS” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. Please review the license for details on these and other terms and conditions.

Summary I believe, is that you can use the FPS Project as a base and anything in it, to release a Unity based game for personal/commercial profit. So you can take the game as is, and see what you can get on STEAM Marketplace, but so can I. We both can pitch the same game, but we will do better, if we change the characters, sounds, levels, to add some of our own custom content to the game.

That added custom content, is your IP/Intellectual Property (if your created it, like building a new model in blender or probuilder yourself, if you buy assets on the asset store, you are paying for that IP that you can then add to the project.)

The rest of the game, is Unity's property, and they are allowing you to use it for 'free' with your owned/created IP to construct a finished game you can sell.

Unity gets paid, when you make over ~$100k, and are then required to sign up all of your companies developers for monthly unity subscriptions for continued development of your game(s!). If you did not continue to develop games, post making 250k, I believe you could ignore the need for a Unity Subscription. But you couldn't make any more unity games or update your existing game without The subscription. It is something like $125 a month per person.

Sweet gig/Setup. Thank you Unity!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  5. $100k, because there is a Plus subscription and it is mandatory if you're using Unity and you're above $100k.

uni7y and AggressiveMastery like this.
  6. uni7y

uni7y

I'm using the Pro version so I don't pay 1 USD ;)

FYI
    https://store.unity.com/compare-plans