Search Unity

NEW | First Person View 3 - FPS Render for Default Render/HDRP/URP | No Clipping + Independent FoV

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eskovas, Sep 23, 2015.

1. watch01

watch01

Hi, I have sent a PM to the developer but haven't received a reply as yet. Hope you people will be kinder than some on the forums. I have little understanding of Unity especially the coding side of things, but I need help setting this asset up in my game. I don't really understand the instructions.

I have tried the Quick Set Up with no result. I have not got the example working.

I duplicated the UnityShaderVariables.cginc file from the Unity 5.6.1 folder and pasted it into the FPV shaders folder. I don't know what is meant by re-importing the cginc and shaders files. I did try installing the latest shaders from Unity.

I have using my own controller and copied the scripts from the Prefab in the FPV_Shader_Material_Solution (V2) folder onto my camera (and added the child camera and duplicated all the settings. However, there is still clipping.

(I am currently using version 5.6.3.p2 - upgraded after posting the images below)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. CTPEJIOK22

CTPEJIOK22

your setup seems right, did you changed material of hands and weapons to fpv_standart shader?

3. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,
    Sorry for the late reply.

By reimporting the shaders, i really mean reimport the shader. Just right-click on the shader and click on the reimport.

Also make sure the shaders are compatible with your Unity version (don't use 2017.x shaders on Unity 5.6 for example, or the cginc of 2017 on 5.6)

PM me if this still doesn't work.

4. eskovas

eskovas

Temporal effects unfortunately don't work (like it's noted in the description of the asset). I do have good results with the SMAA effect on my game, so maybe try that.

I believe it's included in the legacy Standard Assets from Unity, or from their bitbucket.

5. CTPEJIOK22

CTPEJIOK22

thanks, smaa looks good.

6. eskovas

eskovas

There seems to be a problem with using the provided cginc file for the 2017.1 version. I'm fixing the issue at the moment and will upload a fix, but in the meantime, you can fix it by just making the same changes in the same file to the updated cginc for your unity version.

7. eskovas

eskovas

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a few things, and i'm finally getting some progress on handling some issues that are present with FPV.

I have been able to support a temporal effect, like TAA, and was able to correctly support forward type shaders and Forward rendering.

Here's an image from the demo scene with TAA and the "holo" sight (standard transparent shader).
    fpv.png

Since it's a still image, not much can be seen, but it's working quite well in motion without any artifacts or ghosting.

This will need two simple extra steps to setup, having to change the Depth Normals and the Motion Vectors shaders in the shader settings of the project.
    It's not complicated and it will be explained in the manual.

I'm still testing and making sure this works with other effects and i'll try to give an update soon.

arnoob likes this.
  8. eskovas

eskovas

New update.

I've been able to add First Person shadow casting without having to change any Unity's CGInc files :)
    I do this by using Command Buffers, which is very simple to setup.

I'm still trying to get better environment shadows onto first person objects (without changing Unity's CGInc files), but that is a bit trickier and i'm not sure if it will be 100% correct. (The images from my game where it shows this with the old setup (changing CGInc files) is far from correct and creates a few artifacts)

fpvshadow.png

I'll bring more updates when i'm closer to submit the update or if i can solve the issue above. This will be a big update to FPV2!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  9. eskovas

eskovas

Correction, this doesn't require any additional setup to the original FPV setup.

10. eskovas

eskovas

Just updating on the state of the new update of First Person View 2.

I'm currently testing the asset in 5.6 and 2017.2 to check that everything works.

I will be removing the multi-camera solution (v1) since it does not work with these new Unity versions anymore. The V2 solution is much better and more appropriate, since it gets much better results with much better performance.

I will be making a simple tutorial video to show how to setup everything well. I usually get messages on how to setup the asset, so this new video should help out anyone who is having trouble (You can still contact me with any problem)

I'm also updating the manual with a more straight to the point tutorial.

Will give more news soon!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    arnoob likes this.
  11. eskovas

eskovas

Finished the new manual with 22 informative pages.
    manual_l.png

It contains a direct and simple tutorial to get things up and running fast, and a detailed look at how it all works.

It's also much better presented and easier to understand than the previous manual.

I'm currently making some final adjustments and making some final checks and will submit the new version to the asset store soon!

This will be the change-log for First Person View 2.1:
    • Added support for temporal camera effects (TAA for example)
    • Added support for FPV objects to cast correct shadows onto the environment
    • Added support for Forward Shaders and Forward Rendering
    • Fixed how the Depth Normals Texture is rendered for FPV objects
    • Removed the First Person View Layer requirement. It’s no longer needed.
    • Removed FPV V1 solution (Multi-Camera solution), because it does not work with Unity anymore. V2 is a superior version and much more efficient.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    arnoob, TimLee9024 and AntonBertelsen like this.
  12. arnoob

arnoob

That's some fantastic news! I putted aside your asset because I thought motion vectors wouldn't be supported, but now that it is, I'ill try to implement it back! :).

By the way, for the receiving shadows on the FPS gun, the way I do it in my game is by using a "screen space shadow" method. This way you have the gun casting shadows on himself, without creating a shadow of a floating gun in the environment!

Attached Files:

13. CTPEJIOK22

CTPEJIOK22

great, nice feature

14. eskovas

eskovas

15. KarloE

KarloE

Hey, got a problem.

I have a rigged hand I am using fpv on, and I want to put a light in a palm of the hand. Apparently, thats kind of hard to do using fpv because it doesnt follow the bone as I would expect it to. Is there any solution for that? Im guessing Id need to do a custom script that will follow the hand, as its a child, but I don't really know what formulas to use to compensate for what fpv is doing, if you get me.

16. eskovas

eskovas

I think for what you want, you would have to compensate the position of the light for the FPV projection change to the hand.
    There's a static function in the FPV.cs script, called FPVPointToWorldPoint, where you give a Vector3 and it returns that point corrected with the FPV projection.

For example, if i wanted to instantiate a projectile at the end of a FPV barrel, i would use that function to convert the position at the end of the barrel the same way as FPV affects the barrel, putting it at the correct position.

Let me know if that works, or if i didn't explain it right.

17. KarloE

KarloE

Hmm maybe that works, I will try it out tonight/tomorrow and let you know. :) Thanks!

eskovas likes this.
  18. eskovas

eskovas

Just giving an update on FPV 2.1.
    The update is taking a little longer because of an issue i found about the motion vectors. I'm currently trying to solve it and hopefully i will have that sort out soon.

TimLee9024 and Weendie-Games like this.
  19. KarloE

KarloE

https://imgur.com/F0AvpmA - this is normal standard shader
    https://imgur.com/FwhvUJS - this is fpv shading

in both cases, light was tracking the white box, in the upper it just tracked position, in lower it tracked position with a help of formula you mentioned

Obviously it doesnt work well, puzzled why. Does light work in some different way on FPV objects?

20. betaFlux

betaFlux

Does this asset have native support for visible body as seen in the asset store video?

21. eskovas

eskovas

Hello, sorry for late response.

This is a known issue with the current version. The objects are z scaled into small values and closer to the camera, so the light loses depth precision on FPV objects, that's why the point light doesn't affect the objects correctly.
    I'm trying to have that fixed for FPV 2.1.

Yes. The body is setup in the same way the weapons are, with compatible FPV shaders and enabling/disabling through script.

22. betaFlux

betaFlux

Sounds good. Is it possible to use any skinned mesh character with any animation system (Animator, Legacy) and custom animations?

23. TCROC

TCROC

Hello I just have a few questions that I hope you may answer for me.

1.) What do you use for your first person controller? Do u use a custom solution or UFPS or something different?

2.) If you use a custom solution, would u ever consider selling it on the asset store?

3.) Do you use the same full body for the first person view or do you use first person hands?

4.) How do you go about animating the picking up of weapons and vaulting over things in first person?

Thank you for your time. :)

24. FewGears

FewGears

Weapon is stretched/ Without FPV2 and with, but seems this problem is on my side (If change some values on disabled camera and revert changes stretch will disappear) upload_2018-1-10_19-40-34.png upload_2018-1-10_19-39-59.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  25. ryanflees

ryanflees

Hi, I'm about to make a FPS for the GameJam next week.
    And when I moved my project to my macbook I just found that the hand &weapons are upside down in runtime which are working correct on windows, any idea how to fix this?

26. _OK_

_OK_

i get the same on imac must be mac specific - is there a fix? thanks uv's are also inverted

i get this error when i use mac unity shader, its no long upside down but it is pink

Shader error in 'FPV/Standard (Specular setup)': Recursing macros (on metal)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  27. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,

I've been away from development stuff for a little while.
    I decided i'll release the next update 2.1 but with partial support of Motion Vectors. It kinda works with motion vectors, but that's only because it "resets" buffer.
    In my tests i don't see a difference and everything seems to be working, but it shouldn't be like that. I'm still trying to figure out a solution.

2.1 will still have stretched shadows/light on FPV objects. That issue is a more difficult to address. I know how to fix it, but only by changing a CGInc in Unity's own folder, but i won't be doing that.

2.1 should be a lot simpler to setup and to work with, with better documentation.

Again sorry for all the wait and for the unanswered questions.
    I'll post here when i submit the update, should be this week.

28. eskovas

eskovas

I have submitted First Person View 2.1 update to the Asset Store. It's now pending review.
    I'll post here when it becomes available.

If you have any questions, let me know.

29. eskovas

eskovas

30. arnoob

arnoob

"Added support for TAA and removed the need of additional layers" Thank you so much! I'll try it right away!

31. eskovas

eskovas

Motion Vectors are only partially supported. It may have wrong results on your end.
    On my tests i didn't notice problems, but others might have.

Let me know if you run into problems with that.

32. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

is there any way this could be adopted for the new Scriptable Render Pipeline?

TimLee9024 likes this.
  33. alecfa

alecfa

I'm having a bit of trouble implementing this with my custom surface shader. Everything works fine when I use the included standard shader replacements, but it doesn't play nice with my own. When the FOV's differ, I see two weapons on screen. The one with the new fov appears almost semi-transparent, since you can see shadows through it. The one with the old main camera fov looks like empty screen space that's being cleared every frame. Only where they overlap does everything look normal.

This gif illustrates me messing with the FOV and moving the weapon around
    https://imgur.com/a/T1MtT

I think the depth texture isn't using the projection matrix or something? Here's the shader in question:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/FPV" {
    2.     Properties {
    3.         _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (0.5,0.5,0.5,1)
    4.         _MainTex ("Base (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    5.         _Ramp ("Toon Ramp (RGB)", 2D) = "gray" {}
    6.         _BumpMap ("Bumpmap", 2D) = "bump" {}
    7.         _BumpIntensity ("Bump Intensity", Range ( 0.0, 1.0)) = 0.0
    8.         _SpecularMap ("Specular Map", 2D) = "white" {}
    9.         _Shininess ("Shininess", Range (0.01, 8)) = 0.3
    10.         _SpecularIntensity ("Specular Intensity", Range(0.0, 16.0)) = 4.0
    11.         _Cube("Reflective Cubemap", CUBE) = ""
    12.         _ReflectIntensity("Reflectiveness", Float) = 0.0
    13.         _CubeBlur("Glossiness", Float) = 0.0
    14.         _EmissiveMap ("Emissive", 2D) = "white" {}
    15.         _EmissiveTint ("Emissive Tint", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    16.         _EmissiveIntensity ("Emissive Intensity", Range ( 0.0, 16.0)) = 0.0
    17.         _ReflSat ("Reflection Desaturation", Range(0,1)) = 0.0
    18.     }
    20.     CGINCLUDE
    21.         #pragma multi_compile __ FIRSTPERSONVIEW
    22.         #pragma multi_compile __ FPV_Light
    23.     ENDCG
    25.     SubShader {
    26.         Tags { "RenderType"="FPV" }
    27.         LOD 200
    29. CGPROGRAM
    30. #pragma target 3.0
    31. #pragma surface surf ToonRamp
    33. sampler2D _Ramp;
    34. sampler2D _BumpMap;
    35. sampler2D _SpecularMap;
    36. sampler2D _EmissiveMap;
    38. half _SpecularIntensity;
    39. half _BumpIntensity;
    40. half _EmissiveIntensity;
    42. half3 specularColor;
    44. half _ReflectIntensity;
    45. half3 reflectionColor;
    46. half _ReflSat;
    47. float _CubeBlur;
    49. half _Shininess;
    51. sampler2D _MainTex;
    52. samplerCUBE _Cube;
    53. float4 _Color;
    54. float4 _EmissiveTint;
    56. #pragma lighting ToonRamp
    58. inline half4 LightingToonRamp (SurfaceOutput s, half3 lightDir, half3 viewDir, half atten)
    59. {
    60.     #ifndef USING_DIRECTIONAL_LIGHT
    61.     lightDir = normalize(lightDir);
    62.     #endif
    64.     half d = dot (s.Normal, lightDir) * 0.5 + 0.5;
    65.     half3 ramp = tex2D (_Ramp, float2(d,0)).rgb;
    67.     fixed3 reflection = lerp(reflectionColor.rgb, dot(reflectionColor.rgb, float3(0.3, 0.59, 0.11)), _ReflSat) * _ReflectIntensity;// * 0.5;
    69.     fixed nh = max (0, dot (s.Normal, normalize(lightDir + viewDir)));
    70.     fixed spec = pow (nh, _Shininess*128) * _Shininess;
    72.     fixed3 specFinal = (spec * specularColor) + (reflection * specularColor * s.Albedo);
    74.     half4 c;
    75.     c.a = s.Alpha;
    76.     c.rgb = ( (s.Albedo * _LightColor0.rgb * ramp) + ((_LightColor0.rgb + unity_AmbientSky) * _SpecularIntensity * specFinal ) ) * (atten * 2);
    78.     return c;
    79. }
    81. struct Input {
    82.     float2 uv_MainTex : TEXCOORD0;
    83.     float2 uv_BumpMap;
    84.     float2 uv_SpecularMap;
    85.     float2 uv_EmissiveMap;
    86.     float3 viewDir;
    87.     float3 worldRefl; INTERNAL_DATA
    88. };
    90. void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o) {
    91.     half4 c = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex) * _Color;
    93.     o.Albedo = c.rgb;
    94.     o.Alpha = c.a;
    95.     o.Normal = lerp(UnpackNormal (tex2D (_BumpMap, IN.uv_BumpMap)), fixed3(0,0,1), -_BumpIntensity + 1);
    96.     specularColor = tex2D (_SpecularMap, IN.uv_SpecularMap).rgb;
    97.     reflectionColor = texCUBElod (_Cube, float4(WorldReflectionVector(IN, o.Normal), _CubeBlur)).rgb;
    98.     o.Emission = ((tex2D (_EmissiveMap, IN.uv_EmissiveMap) * _EmissiveTint) * _EmissiveIntensity);
    99. }
    100. ENDCG
    102.     }
    104.     Fallback "Diffuse"
    105. }

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  34. eskovas

eskovas

I haven't researched anything about how to use SRP, but i'll definitely try it.

That is weird.
    I'll see what i can do to fix that.

Did it work with the previous version of FPV?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  35. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

Hi @eskovas, motion blur seems not be working on Post Processing Stack 2 and Amplify Motion (With Amplify the motion blur is applied in the view model)

Also only works partially on Post Processing Stack 1 with "Multiple Frame Bleeding" option.

I'm using Unity 2017.1.1f1 and FPV Internal Shader 2017.1, check this video:

Any idea how i can workaround this? Thank you, cheers

36. eskovas

eskovas

It's because of the limited support of motion vectors. I call it limited because it doesn't break everything related with it (TAA for example kinda works even though it's not exactly correct). I don't have a solution for this at the moment.
    I'll post here when i have a working solution for this.

Weendie-Games likes this.
  37. ChillyMcChill

ChillyMcChill

Gave it a shot with mobile and Mars Photon FP kit

Looks like it fudges the FP view

Attached Files:

• wot.PNG
      wot.PNG
      File size:
      1,002.6 KB
      Views:
  38. eskovas

eskovas

That's weird, must be something specific on mobile because it already detects if it's using opengl or directx (opengl flips the image vertically, but the script already accounts for that). I'll try to have a look into it.

For a workaround, If your game is mobile only, go to the script FPV_SM_WorldCamera.cs, and after this line in OnPreCull function: "Matrix4x4 fpvProjectionCustom = fpvProjection;", add the following:

Code (CSharp):
    2. fpvProjection.m11 *= -1;
    3. fpvProjectionCustom.m11 *= -1;
    Let me know if that fixes it for now.

ChillyMcChill likes this.
  39. ChillyMcChill

ChillyMcChill

That works! Thanks!

40. Zayah117

Zayah117

Hey all. I'm having an issue in Unity 2018.1.1f1.

fpv.png

Both the FPV 'Standard' and 'Standard (Specular setup)' are failing to compile. Is there something I can do to fix this? Or is this just a bug with the latest version of Unity?

41. eskovas

eskovas

Do not use FPV shaders in different unity versions. Unity changes things in their CGIncludes that break old fpv shaders.
    You have to create new shaders/cgincs for new versions to avoid those problems. (I explain that in the docs and how to update them).

I will be submitting a new update today with 2018.1 version FPV shaders/CGIncs.
    I'll also put each version into a separate Unity package, so no errors appear for older versions.

Note: First Person View does not work with Unity's Scriptable Render Pipeline (SRP).

EDIT:
    Submitted new version with 2018.1 version. I also fixed an issue when using Forward Rendering.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  42. Zayah117

Zayah117

Thanks eskovas!

EDIT: I don't see any updates on your store page. Is the new version available someplace else?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  43. eskovas

eskovas

New version is now live. Let me know if it works for you now or if you have any issue with it.

44. Zayah117

Zayah117

Thanks again! I'll have to try it out. This asset is truly a life saver.

45. Inan-Evin

Inan-Evin

Regarding FPV not working with SRP, is there going to be any updates to make FPV work properly with HDRP? Because as far as I have experimented so far HDRP uses a resources scriptable object to use the built-in shaders, which expose the motion vectors asset so that we can change it to your 2018.1 motion vectors but no depthnormals option to change. And eventhough I don't think it will properly work if there was an option, without proper adjustments. Is there any plans to make FPV work with HDRP, and/or is there any easy workaround that can be used for now? Thanks!

Weendie-Games likes this.
  46. TimLee9024

TimLee9024

MSAA seems to not work proper when your objects is above shadow in screen and not currently being cast by shadow. Test in Unity 2018.2 Standard Specular Shader with FPV Modified.

No AA
    NoAA.png

MSAA 8x (Aliasing at FPV object's edge)
    MSAA.png

SMAA at High quality in Post Processing Stack V2
    Currently the most suitable solution, but objects at far distance will not looks good
    SMAA.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  47. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

Hi @eskovas , is possible to make FPV work in a World Space Canvas?

48. hattyh

hattyh

How do you make it work with UFPS, i can't figure it out, the example works in my scene, but i believe my problem is not being able to activate the FPV object script, i don't know how to do it, i've been playing around for hours no luck :(

49. K4rha

K4rha

i've integrated FPV a while ago. You need to modify some UFPS and FPV core files to make it work so please backup your project. It seems like many people are requesting this integration so i wonder if it would be fine for both publishers of FPV und UFPS to make it public. If anyone needs a detailed step by step guide you can contact me.
    Please keep in mind that this will only work with UFPS 1 not with their new release but i'm going to take a look at this soon aswell.

50. K4rha

K4rha

I don't think it should be a big deal to make it work.
    Did you already try it? Would be interesting to know since i'm going to use it in the upcoming months.