Search Unity

FPS Navigation Method

Discussion in 'VR' started by COLiTRON, Dec 20, 2017.

1. COLiTRON

COLiTRON

Hey there Unity Mixed Reality Devs. I'm in the early stages of creating a large, fully explorable virtual world that will act as a testbed for my VR development. So far I've been sticking to using the standard Teleporting technique for navigating long range, and I'm not a huge fan of it.

Has anyone tried using the Motion Controller joystick as a sort of WASD style FPS control? Is there a good method for implementing this? I've tried parenting the Mixed Reality Camera to an FPS Input Controller from the Standard Assets Package, but that got me nowhere. Importing those assets into a Mixed Reality project creates too many scene breaking errors.

Let me know if you folks have any thoughts. For the hell of it, heres a screen cap of the world I'm developing. There's quite a lot of space to navigate so far.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. COLiTRON

COLiTRON

Update: I've managed to create a basic player controller that allows for WASD input through the keyboard. I'm still working on mapping these controls to the motion controller thumb sticks.

3. VenisterUT

VenisterUT

I’ve tried the same way when I started to design my game. For my case,
    Collegues who are not familiar with VR games seems to feel serious motion sickness in this way. - Especially for room scaling.

I hate teleporting system too. I think that the system can make many troubles in balance. But almost peoples are not familar with VR, I think teleporting system could be affordable choice.

(Currently I’m developing a game that movement is not important. :p So I abandoned codes related to such locomotions.)

4. jessechunn

jessechunn

I am wondering if you have made any progress on this front...? I am not a fan of the teleporting method either... Not at all. In fact, I hate it. I have not tried anything yet, and found this thread in my very first search for what others are doing. Would love to know if you came up with anything that feels "intuitive" yet. The reason "wasd" became the standard, in my humble opinion, is because it just felt natural. My initial thoughts (very initial) are to use the thumbsticks (maybe left thumb for rotate and right thumb for forward/backward/strafe) but I wonder if that will interfere with shooting/jumping/crouching...? Anyway, just wondering what you may have discovered so far that might save me (and others) some trial and error.

5. COLiTRON

COLiTRON

Hey Jessechunn! Yes I did make progress on the FPS system. I managed to get the WASD controls mapped to the thumb sticks after a little bit of messing around with the controller mapping settings. It works really well and the walk speed increases and decreases with the joystick position, just as you would expect it to. The player position is basically parented to a ridged body capsule with some control scripts attached to it. The capsule's Y orientation is matched to the headset's Y orientation. So no matter what direction you're facing, pressing forward on the joystick will always move you forward.

The FPS controls still need some improvement however. I want to add some code to the player capsule that makes it follow the User's position when the User is actually walking around in room scale, and not using the Joystick to move through the VR environment. This will keep the player capsule aligned with User at all times. What I'm saying is better described in this other post of mine (The control stuff is near the bottom of the post) https://forums.hololens.com/discuss...tica-a-large-scale-virtual-world-test-project

Beyond that, I haven't made much more progress as I've had to set this VR project aside for a about a month so I could finish up a different project, but recently I've started to jump back in. I wish I could tell you more about how it all works, but its been a while since I've looked at it all, so I've forgotten a lot of the finer details. Ill take a look at it some time this week, as I'm thinking about publishing the control system to the Unity Store. I'm new to all this so I'll need to look further into all that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    ROBYER1 likes this.
  6. jessechunn

jessechunn

Hi Colitron… Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't get back sooner... I didn't get any notification that this thread had been updated. Anyway, please by all means keep us posted on your progress, and let me know if you put something in the asset store.

7. COLiTRON

COLiTRON

That's alright man. I'm working on this in my spare time, so it's been a slow process. Especially since I'm still creating my own assets for the project. Now I see why people dig into the Unity Asset Store so much!