Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS model/animation setup questions

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by spiff888, Jan 10, 2021.

1. spiff888

spiff888

I plan on developing a "Halo" style weapon system I'm more of a programmer with a general understanding of modeling and animation in Blender. First I was wondering if I should have both player arms as separate models and animate them separately since they can equip different items and use them independent of each other, but there's the issue of what if during a reload animation both arms are required for the animation, so how do you animate that if they're separate models? Second question is if I should include all weapons in each arm model(.fbx) file, and animate them accordingly, while hiding the rest during gameplay in unity, or should the weapon models be separate from the arms models, in which case I understand I can attach the weapon objects to an arm bone in Unity, but how do you go about animating them if they're separate models? Generally how do I animate things together if each model is separate?

2. Siccity

Siccity

Good question.
    I'm really not sure, But I would animate both arms together (double magnum anim, single magnum anim), and use avatar masks in Unity to control each arm's animation separately. This would mean you'd have to animate each akimbo weapon once for each arm, unless you find a way to mirror poses in blender.

3. spiff888

spiff888

Yeah, I came up with this idea while brainstorming, but the biggest issue is how do I get weapon animations to work concurrently with it? I know I can parent a weapon model to a bone in unity, but how I handle the weapons animation, such as when the arm removes the weapon clip? Do I make reload animations for both arms and weapon separately and play them at the same time in unity(seems sketchy)? Or do I have to create separate fbx imports with arms and gun included and animated together in a single file, thereby having a weapon + arm prefab for each weapon(doesn't seem elegant)?