Search Unity

Fps microgame not working

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kharerishit, Mar 18, 2020.

1. kharerishit

kharerishit

So, I just got started on unity yesterday. I had no trouble downloading and playing and modifying the kart racing microgame. But today, when I tried to download the fps game, whenever I hit play it rapidly alternates between the "game" and "scene" tabs. The sound is working just fine. This doesn't appear on the kart microgame.

2. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey! Welcome to Unity <3

Are you able to confirm for me which version of the Unity editor you are using to run this microgame? I'm aware that it only works for specific versions so do check the documentation on that and if needed, install the version required and let us know here if you still having issues.

3. kharerishit

kharerishit

Hello! Thank you!

I had been running 2018, but I downloaded the 2019 one and it still hasn't been working. Thank you for responding! Today I tried again and got a screen capture. The player just goes completely haywire.

EDIT: Lemme also add this other screen capture showing which versions I have installed. I also tried using the microgame from the "Learn" tab of the hub, but still no luck... :(

Attached Files:

4. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

It will only work with 2018.4 according to https://learn.unity.com/project/karting-template so I would suggest troubleshooting it on that version. I'll raise this internally and see what options we have to get you up and running. Are you able to provide me your system requirements?

Are you able to get a screenshot/video recording of the fps doing this in 2018.4? I think the issue might be that your initial screenshot is due to the microgame being run on a version of the Editor it was not intended for.

5. kharerishit

kharerishit

Ok, so I don't know much about system requirements, but here is a screen capture of the "About this Mac", if that helps.

I got a video using QuickTime Player for Mac: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17GXRowicNlKqrHBqSnOyVK8-9JbQnLb3/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files:

6. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Thanks!

So near the bottom you'll see a tab called Console. Is anything being printed there?

7. kharerishit

kharerishit

Nothing is printed when I hit play. Uh oh...
    Is there some kind of debugging option I need to switch on or something?

Attached Files:

8. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Nah, if it's not printing out errors, then as far as the Editor is concerned, it's doing everything it should be.

In that case, my assumption here is that the Macbook Pro model you have is struggling. Running this project on a 2013 Macbook Pro with no dedicated GPU might be straining the CPU on it.

What I'd suggest doing is running the Activity Monitor before you hit 'Play', see the CPU usage and then hit 'Play', to see what it does after. If you're chugging at 100% CPU usage, then the issue is probably down to your MacBook not being powerful enough for the FPS, as it may have more going on in that than the Microkart which seems to work fine.

9. kharerishit

kharerishit

I opened the activity monitor, but how do you check CPU usage?

10. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

11. kharerishit

kharerishit

Ok well it looks like you're right. I guess I'll have save up for a new computer or something. Thanks so much for your help!

12. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

No worries. Glad to be of assistance <3

13. unity_uBBJEfhiKXtEzw

unity_uBBJEfhiKXtEzw

whenever i try to decompress Fps microgame it says unable to decompress

14. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Anything else in the error message? How much free hard drive space do you have?

15. gwilcken

gwilcken

Hi all! I am having a slight problem with the FPV Microgame. When pressing play, the camera panned straight up toward the sky and the player was spinning. I was able to correct this by changing the Input Managers Look X, Look Y, and Vertical from Joystick to Mouse Movement. This worked, but has a side effect of also moving the player slightly when using the mouse to look around. I have read other posts referring to having a joystick installed that caused the issue, but I have no joystick installed on my pc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

16. nickolasfranco618

nickolasfranco618

when ever i try to use the tutorial it just has it kind of dark and wont load

17. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I tried to load the FPS microgame last night on my latest 2021 version of Unity on my Linux powered Chromebox, the damn thing just crashed.

I sent in a bug report.

18. anawovic

anawovic

I just imported the FPS Microgame to my project, but it shows "All compiler errors have to be fixed before entering playmode". I haven't edited anything yet, I just imported it and want to test it out. What's wrong?

Buxler and Zaiken64 like this.