Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS Mesh Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CodeBison, Jan 11, 2015.

1. CodeBison

CodeBison

Thanks for the info. I'll check with Opsive and see what they have to say.

2. CodeBison

CodeBison

Thanks for the info. I'll check with @opsive and see what they have to say.

3. CodeBison

CodeBison

I had a chat with Opsive and have uploaded a new version of FPS Mesh Tool that should resolve your issue. If you don't want to wait for the asset store approval process to complete, you can send your FPS Mesh Tool invoice number to support@codebison.ca and I'll be happy to send you the updated version.

Cheers!

hengeworks likes this.
  4. CodeBison

CodeBison

Yeah I really should do something about that. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

5. hengeworks

hengeworks

Awesome, this works for me! Thanks so much!

CodeBison likes this.
  6. CodeBison

CodeBison

Awesome, glad it sorted things out for you!

7. Elton9996

Elton9996

the InvisibleMaterial is pink for me in my URP project. the InvisibleMaterialNoShadows works fine and the InvisibleMaterial in a standard project works fine. I upgraded my project materials to URP materials and its still pink. how can i fix this?

8. CodeBison

CodeBison

Hi Elton,

Thanks for your question. I sent you an invisible URP material I whipped up in Shader Graph. It should do the trick for you while I work on a properly optimized version to include in the package.

(I've also attached the material here in case it's useful to anyone else in the short term.)

Cheers!

Attached Files:

9. andrew_unity628

andrew_unity628

10. CodeBison

CodeBison

FPS Mesh Tool isn't compatible with UMA's runtime components. UMA characters saved to prefabs via Power Tools should work though. If you try it and find out it doesn't work for your use case, I'm happy to refund your purchase.

As for the exception you mentioned in your email, I'll check with Opsive to see if there's an API change on their end that will require changes.

Cheers!

11. CodeBison

CodeBison

That's an odd one. I don't see anything in there that's obviously related to FPS Mesh Tool, but you might find it helpful to reset your layout via Window -> Layouts.

If that doesn't work to resolve things, you might find useful information here or here, though as always be careful when following advice you get on the Internet. ;)

12. corb555

corb555

Issue resolved by switching to an LTS version of Unity.

13. CodeBison

CodeBison

Cool, glad you got it sorted! :)

14. Steinvorth

Steinvorth

Hey, I was wondering if someone knew how to fix this error with the FPS mesh integration with the Opsive UFPS asset. I am getting this error, when I import the integration, and also when I try to attach the script to the Character. Any ideas of what may be causing it? OPSIVE.png opsive2.png

15. CodeBison

CodeBison

The UCCFPSMaterialController component doesn't need to be put in any of those slots. It just needs to be on your character (generally on the root transform). It listens for first/third person perspective switch messages UCC sends when you switch between first and third person. You'll want to follow the standard UCC item setup procedures, with the only difference being you don't add the head and arms as third person objects. UCCFPSMaterialController handles that part for you.

The overall process is:
    • Get the weapon set up in UCC without the UCCFPSMaterialController at all. Following standard UCC procedures should get you to the point where your weapon is toggling visibility properly but you still have your third person head/arms visible in first person. Once you get to this point, you're ready for the integration:
    • Add UCCFPSMaterialController to the root of your character, and make sure it has the correct body parts selected (so it knows which parts are hands/arms/etc - see the documentation for details). Your head/arms should now turn on and off properly.

16. Steinvorth

Steinvorth

I have been going crazy because of this, thank you so much!

17. CodeBison

CodeBison

:)

18. magique

magique

@CodeBison I've imported the UCC integration package with UFPS and I receive the following compiler error:

Assets\CBG\FPSMeshTool_Integrations\Scripts\UCC\UCCFPSMaterialController.cs(27,108): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Character' does not exist in the namespace 'Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.ThirdPersonController' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

I have the latest FPS Mesh Tool 1.2.12 and UFPS 2.3.1 and Unity 2019.4.20f1

19. CodeBison

CodeBison

You don't need UCC integration if you're only using UFPS. You only need runtime material changing if you have both first and third person. So you can just delete the integration files and you'll be good to go.

magique likes this.
  20. Mancu37

Mancu37

Hello, It seems that the integration (UCCFPSMaterialController) with Opsive UCC is not working with a mirror. See the image below. It works fine in a game without a mirror. In the last version of Opsive UCC, they added mirror compatibility for both view First and Third Person. Could you add that compatibility with your component?. Or do you know if there is a workaround for this?

This a model that I've created with FPS Mesh Tool

upload_2021-4-26_22-52-36.png

I've tried with Nolan (Opsive Character) in my scene and the mirror compatibility works as expected see the image below

upload_2021-4-26_22-59-7.png

Thanks in advance,
    Martin

21. CodeBison

CodeBison

I'm not sure how they're handling mirror support in UCC. A quick glance at their documentation here gives me the impression they're using a second camera and swapping materials out between cameras. I can take a look at it this weekend and see if there's a sensible way to tie into their systems. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mancu37 likes this.
  22. Mancu37

Mancu37

Yes, they are using another camera that it has a script called Mirror.cs, also the first person and third person cameras have other script called MaterialSwapper.cs, I believe they are working together. If you can find a way to make it works that would be awesome!. I'll be wait your response.

Thanks!,
    Martin

23. CodeBison

CodeBison

Hi Martin,

I've been in touch with Justin at Opsive, and I hacked together a quick version of FPS Mesh Tool support for mirrors etc. The good news is that it will work. It's just going to take a little bit to get a solid solution instead of a dirty hack - I want to make sure the implementation I go with doesn't cause problems for anyone down the line. I'm working with Justin to make sure it's implemented in a way that's well-aligned with the overall architecture of UCC. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers!

24. Mancu37

Mancu37

Awesome!, thanks so much for your help on this. I'll be waiting that solution.

Cheers!

25. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi i need some help getting my mesh to split correctly
    . the mesh im using had lods and it seems to split the parts correctly in scene but when i process the mesh its still only one mesh and not split into parts any ideas

Attached Files:

26. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

I have quickly ran a test witch a different model (robot kyle) that is shown seperated correctly in the Asset store screenshots and still it does not seperate after building fps mesh, still only a single mesh.

Attached Files:

27. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

I reimported the asset and realized there ware these warnings, so maybe that could be the issue?
    bandicam 2021-05-08 01-59-00-551.png

28. CodeBison

CodeBison

Hi,

By default, FPS Mesh tool splits your mesh into multiple submeshes based on body parts. You'll see this reflected as multiple material slots in the inspector, which will allow you to selectively turn different parts of your model invisible. It will still all be one model, however. Here's what this looks like:

If you're aiming to completely separate your mesh into different pieces (IE, a mesh that is only arms or something similar), you can do that by unticking "include all" in the FPS Mesh Tool window. That will give you the ability to choose which body parts to keep. You can find more details about this in the FPS Mesh Tool documentation, under "Choose What To Include In Final Mesh"

Hopefully this gives you the info you need to get the results you want with your character. If not, or if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know.

Oh, and those warnings are safe to ignore.

Cheers!

29. CodeBison

CodeBison

Just wanted to give you a quick update. Support for this feature will require an update on the UCC side, as well as an update on the FPS Mesh Tool side. When the next version of UCC comes out with the required changes, I'll be releasing an updated version of FPS Mesh Tool as well, and you'll have full mirror support at that point.

Cheers!

30. Mancu37

Mancu37

Great!, thanks so much!, I'm making an horror game and mirrors are really needed.

Thanks again for your help!
    Martin

unityunity