Search Unity

FPS Mesh Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CodeBison, Jan 11, 2015.

1. b152349

b152349

I've created a new video showing the entire process starting with model generation using this tool. Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. The controller I'm using is the one that Opsive's Justin said was equivalent to the "DemoController" mentioned elsewhere.

2. b152349

b152349

Fixed. Was using the Sword item type from the default list of choices, but apparently I should have been using an Item Type created from scratch. Apparently had nothing to do with fps mesh tool, was just an opsive setup issue.

People can use the video above to see everything from start to finish minus tweaking. Just don't forget to create your own item type (like in one of the tutorials in opsive's youtube channel, it's simple) and use that.

3. CodeBison

CodeBison

Looks from that thread like you got everything sorted out. Glad it's working for you. :)

[edit] Whoops didn't see there was another page. My bad!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. b152349

b152349

Unfortunately I immediately ran into another issue and haven't been able to figure it out after a few days. Any model I'm trying with ucc is having this problem with the arms. after the first attack, the left arm sits way out in front of the right and they have a weird twisted thing going on. I've fiddled with the rotations and position of the arms but nothing helps. Makes it impossible to use the first person character controller. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  5. CodeBison

CodeBison

Hmmm. I don't know enough about the inner workings of UCC to be able to give you an answer to this. The arms you get from FPS Mesh Tool are still a standard humanoid rig, and you'll be able to do anything you want with them by applying an appropriate animation. Maybe Opsive support will have an idea what the best approach is to get the behaviour you want here?

b152349 likes this.
  6. b152349

b152349

Thanks @CodeBison I have an open thread there. He's taking a look.

7. CodeBison

CodeBison

Cool. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out. :)

b152349 and JBR-games like this.
  8. b152349

b152349

Basically looks like you can't use his animations with arms created by this tool for first person. I don't know what it takes to rig arms specifically to be compatible with a given animation but that seems to be necessary here so I'm looking for resources to learn that sort of thing...

9. CodeBison

CodeBison

Ah gotcha. sounds like the Nolan arms included with UCC aren't humanoid rigged then.

JBR-games likes this.
  10. JBR-games

JBR-games

Are the included animations even any good ? I bought opsive's now deprecated "third person controller" and the animations were not great.. Kinda surprising he wouldn't use mecanim animations for simple easy of adding some from the store.

11. b152349

b152349

I honestly don't know as I couldnt get them working. There are precious few first personal melee (sword, axe, etc..) animations that I can get. The best thing I've found is only offered for ue4 (https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/fpp-melee-animset) and I have no idea how to plug that in or if it's even possible. I might have to make my own animations I guess

12. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

If you haven't looked at Mixamo animations, check them out. They're free and of decent quality. I use them as is, and/or slightly modified. Plus I make my own for ones that they don't have.

13. CodeBison

CodeBison

They'd probably work, though the UE marketplace license doesn't permit using their assets outside Unreal. Kubold makes Unity assets too though, so they might be willing to publish to Unity Asset Store if you ask them.

Those anims do look really good.

14. b152349

b152349

I thought they allowed any assets other than their own free ones to be used anywhere

Can I use these products in other gaming engines, like Source or Unity?
    Any Marketplace products that have not been created by Epic Games can be used in other engines. Please note that products purchased from the Marketplace cannot be sold back to the Marketplace after alteration.

JBR-games likes this.
  15. JBR-games

JBR-games

Thats good to know that the UE marketplace is an option for buying animations or models for unity..

16. CodeBison

CodeBison

Oh, good to know. I must've been confusing the terms all the Epic assets are released under with the general UE marketplace terms. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

17. CodeBison

CodeBison

By default FPS Mesh Tool will configure itself to separate head, arms and legs from a character mesh. There's nothing stopping you from telling it arms start at the elbows or wrists, though.

JBR-games likes this.
  18. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

I found this by typing "easy rig fps arms" on YT, hopefully it helps.

19. vampir26

vampir26

Unfortunately, it's not working with character creator 3 characters :-(

20. CodeBison

CodeBison

Sorry, it's hard to tell from your picture what problem you might be experiencing. That screenshot looks normal to me. What sort of trouble are you running into?

21. vampir26

vampir26

Oh I thought it was clear. The tool don't separated arms or head. I thought it should appear arms and head as a new child in the character game object. :)

22. CodeBison

CodeBison

Oh gotcha. That's not how FPS Mesh Tool works. Instead of breaking the body parts into separate gameobjects, it separates them into submeshes. The submeshes show as separate material slots in your character's skinned mesh renderers. The way you show or hide different body parts is by swapping out the relevant materials with the included invisible shadowcaster material (or optionally another material you create yourself if you want different behaviour). There's more detail on this in the documentation here.

Cheers!

23. CodeBison

CodeBison

FPS Mesh Tool is compatible with Unity 2018.3, though if you're using LWRP or HDRP, the invisible material might not be compatible. I haven't tested it yet. I'll be doing that soon, though, and publishing an update if it's required for SRP compabibility.

24. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

I see. I noticed that the shader is blank. What should it be? I'm using Opsive's UCC 2.1.1.

EDIT: I think I have an issue when upgrading to the latest version because I have found more missing shaders.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  25. CodeBison

CodeBison

Oh thatis interesting. There's an issue that sometimes happens in 2018.3 where the initial import of shaders doesn't work. You might want to try right-clicking and reimporting the CBG folder to see if that sorts it out.

26. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

So yea, after deleting the library folder and re-launching the project Unity imported everything correctly and the pink missing shaders has been fixed. Sorry about thinking Unity broke FPS Mesh Tool. Thank you for the help though.

27. CodeBison

CodeBison

No worries. Glad you got it sorted out.

28. radiantboy

radiantboy

Are there any tutorials showing how to use this to make a new set of arms for ufps (old version)? And use them for making guns? Going to have a go at this over the weekend was just wondering.

29. CodeBison

CodeBison

There are some videos on the Opsive site that should help. You might find this one or this one useful.

radiantboy likes this.
  30. WHAT-THE-FACE

WHAT-THE-FACE

Hi, I'm not sure the UCCFPS Material Controller component is working with Unity 2019.1 and UCC 2.1.3

31. CodeBison

CodeBison

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look.

32. WHAT-THE-FACE

WHAT-THE-FACE

cheers! im a super noob so it's possible i did something wrong.

33. CodeBison

CodeBison

There's definitely something odd going on with the UCC integration in 2019.1. I've submitted a patch to the asset store that takes care of it. In the mean time, you can make this quick edit to UCCFPSMaterialController.cs to get it working:
    • Delete the first line:
      Code (CSharp):
      1. #if FIRST_PERSON_CONTROLLER || THIRD_PERSON_CONTROLLER
    • Delete the last line (line 37):
      Code (CSharp):
      1. #endif
    If you're uncomfortable making this edit yourself, you can send your invoice number to support@codebison.ca, and I'll send you a copy of the updated package.

Cheers!

34. WHAT-THE-FACE

WHAT-THE-FACE

Sounds good!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

35. AlejMC

AlejMC

Hello!
    It would be great if the preview materials would have a 'fallback' shader when on HDRP or LWRP.
    Default built-in Unlit materials do work and would be a good fallback (or maybe a basic LWRP or HDRP lit material that has a hard-coded light direction would be enough).

36. CodeBison

CodeBison

Oh, good point. I'll do some thinking and see if I can come up with a good solution that doesn't complicate things for people.

In the meantime, you can change the shader used by the preview materials yourself to be whatever you want, and it'll work.

37. radiantboy

radiantboy

Was just thinking you should support legs too, separately. That way this would be perfect for dismemberment in games, id love that feature.

38. CodeBison

CodeBison

Already in! :)

39. noobynobody

noobynobody

I was also thinking of using this for dismemberment. But if you split the mesh, there's essentially a hole on each mesh. How would you solve that?

40. CodeBison

CodeBison

You would have to
    You would have to cap the mesh off somehow. The crude way to do this would be cap the ends with a separate "stump" object that has protruding bone/bleshy bits. The clean way would be to edit the submeshes to give them appropriate ends. Though since you'd be manually editing the meshes yourself at that point, there might not be too much point to using FPS Mesh Tool in the process.

noobynobody likes this.
  41. radiantboy

radiantboy

really? ive never seen that? is it new?

42. CodeBison

CodeBison

It's been there for a while. If you tick this box:
    upload_2019-7-12_10-25-39.png

Then you get this:
    upload_2019-7-12_10-26-55.png

Attached Files:

radiantboy likes this.
  43. CodeBison

CodeBison

Correction: The last two highlighted items (Include Left Leg/Right Leg) aren't dependent on selecting Process Legs. They become relevant if you untick Include All. Oops.

44. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks man I got to try dismemberment soon then

45. play_unity729

play_unity729

Dear developer asa suggestion you should create a tutorial of how use your code with UCC, because looks like the people buying it have issues with that and I have plans to do it too, but looks like it's not working and also your tutorial it's outdated

Trungdv likes this.
  46. magique

magique

Does anyone know if this works with RFPS?

47. CodeBison

CodeBison

I'm not sure which asset you mean when you say RFPS (I found multiple assets called Realistic FPS), but FPS Mesh Tool will work with pretty much any system that doesn't generate its character meshes at runtime. If you try it and it's not suited to your needs (eg it doesn't work or you just think it's dumb) I'll be happy to refund you.

Cheers!

48. CodeBison

CodeBison

Sorry, just saw this now. I didn't get notified of your message for some reason. There's a section in the manual that goes over how to use UFPS with UCC. It should be noted that the first person animations that come with UCC only work with first person assets matching the rig of the ones included in UCC, while the FPS arms you get from using FPS Mesh Tool will still be humanoid rigged. This means you'll have to supply new animations for first person, but since the arms are humanoid rigged you have the option to use any standard humanoid animations in your library.

Cheers!

49. magique

magique

Sorry, I mean Realistic FPS by Azuline.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely consider it.

50. jnbbender

jnbbender

Can I suggest that the documentation be put in pdf format. I do not have MS Word, nor will I, and when I upload to Google Docs I can't see any pics.
    Thanks.