Search Unity

FPS Mesh Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CodeBison, Jan 11, 2015.

1. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

嗨,我刚买了FPS网格工具。我无法将FPS网格工具创建的字符与UCC集成。我只能将原始角色模型放在UCC中。你能谈谈FPS网格工具和UCC集成的详细步骤吗?

20181205013026.png

2. CodeBison

CodeBison

Hi,

This issue is not specifically FPS Mesh Tool related, but I think I can help you.

It looks like you might be trying to use the prefab of your character in the UCC setup wizard instead of a copy you've dragged into your scene. UCC requires the object you're modifying to be in scene instead of in your project folder.

If you're using one of the Unity 2018.3 beta versions, you might be seeing this issue with in-scene objects as well. The only workaround I know is to break the prefab instance once you have the object in scene. In 2018.3, you do this by right-clicking the in-scene object, and selecting Unpack Prefab. Once you've completed the wizard, you can make a new prefab out of your updated character. You can learn more about breaking prefabs in 2018.3 here: https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.3/Documentation/Manual/UnpackingPrefabInstances.html

Cheers,

Cameron

3. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

I got it, thank you. I have a new questions.

UCC has some good first-person hand animations in the FirstPersonDemo animator. Can the hands made with FPSMesh use this animator or these animations directly?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  4. CodeBison

CodeBison

I'm not sure what the rigging requirements are for the animations included with UCC. If they work with a standard humanoid rig, you'd be able to use them no problem. I suspect you'd be able to use their third person anims, but their first person anims likely use a custom rig. Opsive support should be able to tell you for sure.

5. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Understand, thanks for reply.

6. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

Hello, I have the Ultimate character controller and attempting to make use of this asset. I ran the Mesh tool and have the new Prefab that was created. I then assigned that mesh as the First person base of my Item in the Item manager. The second character is floating behind my Main Character as expected but Even though I set the body, head, and legs to not be visible when in first person, it still displays the whole character behind my main character. I m using the UCCFPS Material Controller Script. What do I have to do to get this to work. It says that it should work by default in your documentation...

7. CodeBison

CodeBison

Are you saying there are two completely separate copies of your UCC character showing, one behind the other? From my understanding of the UCC character creation process, you should only ever see one copy of the character (possibly with a few extra parts for the separate modes). I think you may want to revisit the UCC character creation process if this is the case. If I've misunderstood what you're saying, please let me know.

I can create a video showing UCC character setup with FPS Mesh Tool later tonight. I'll post here once it's up.

Cheers!

8. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

Nope. I recreated the character. Now I have one character. My problem at this point is the character is totally invisible when I go into first person view. mI added the UCCFPS Script and set only the head and arms to hide when in first person.
    My primary reason I am using this asset is to create first person hands easily. That is why I had the second character behind my primary Character. I added the second character in the Item Manager and set the body to be invisible so that only the arms would be visible. The body would not go invisible so I had two characters on the screen.
    How do you use this asset with the new UCC in order to make First person hands?

I just tried the FPS Material controller as well and still have no control over what is hidden and what is not...

All the materials on my Character's Skinned Mesh renderer go to the invisible texture
    even if I remove all Material controller scripts the whole character is hidden.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  9. CodeBison

CodeBison

Okay I think I see what you're running into now. If you're just looking to make a set of FPS arms for UCC, that's pretty straightforward. If you run FPS Mesh Tool on your base model, untick Include All, and just leave the left and right arms selected, FPS Mesh Tool will output a mesh that only has arms. Then you don't need any special material handling - just add them to UCC as first person objects and you should be good to go. UCC will automatically take care of showing them in first person without you needing to add any of the custom scripts included with FPS Mesh Tool.

I'm working on clearer documentation for creating first/third person components for UCC. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to help.

Cheers!

10. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

Ok, does UCC automatically apply the Invisible texture? It still looks like my whole mesh is being assigned the invisible texture without using any of your scripts. I would like to have the option of having parts of it visible for the full body awareness.

11. CodeBison

CodeBison

That's odd behaviour for sure. The UCCFPSMaterialController should take care of making sure only the body parts you want to hide in first person go invisible. I'm uploading a video that shows the process and expected behaviour. I'll put the link here once it's up.

12. CodeBison

CodeBison

Here's the video showing setup for UCC, demonstrating head and arms hiding in first person:

Note: The "Unpack Prefab" step is only relevant to Unity 2018.3.

JBR-games likes this.
  13. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

I thought it was your InvisibleMaterial but after looking I see it is actually and InvisibleShadowCaster from the UCC that is being applied. It looks like it is overriding the UCCFPS Material Controller... I posted on the Opsive forum but do you have any idea how to disable this so I can use your Material Controller?

14. CodeBison

CodeBison

From my understanding of UCC, the only reason that would be happening is if you set your body parts as third person objects in the UCC character setup. If you haven't done that, I'm not sure what happened with your character. If you check the video I linked above, you'll see the start-to-finish process for getting head/arms toggling properly on a new character. Does it work properly if you start clean and follow that process?

15. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

Ok I found my problem was assigning the third person Component. When that is assigned, UCC assigns the invisible texture.

I am now getting an error in UCC when I attempt to create an item with an FPS Mesh Character.
    Can you test and attempt to assign an item using the FPS Mesh?
    Also in the description of the asset it says you can make FPS Arms. Can you try that as well?
    I am unable to add any items in UCC to the FPSMesh character much less create FPS Arms.

Here is the error I get. It does not look like this asset is compatible with UCC any longer...

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Utility.Builders.ItemBuilder.BuildItem (System.String name, Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Inventory.ItemType itemType, Int32 animatorItemID, UnityEngine.GameObject character, Int32 slotID, Boolean addToDefaultLoadout, Boolean addFirstPersonPerspective, UnityEngine.GameObject firstPersonObject, UnityEngine.RuntimeAnimatorController firstPersonObjectAnimatorController, UnityEngine.GameObject firstPersonVisibleItem, Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Items.ItemSlot firstPersonItemSlot, UnityEngine.RuntimeAnimatorController firstPersonVisibleItemAnimatorController, Boolean addThirdPersonPerspective, UnityEngine.GameObject thirdPersonObject, Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Items.ItemSlot thirdPersonItemSlot, UnityEngine.RuntimeAnimatorController thirdPersonObjectAnimatorController, UnityEngine.Material invisibleShadowCasterMaterial, ActionType actionType, Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Inventory.ItemType actionItemType) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Utility/Builders/ItemBuilder.cs:118)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Editor.Managers.ItemManager.DrawNewItem () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Editor/Managers/ItemManager.cs:276)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Editor.Managers.ItemManager.OnGUI () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Editor/Managers/ItemManager.cs:111)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Editor.Managers.MainManagerWindow.OnManagerGUI () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Editor/Managers/MainManagerWindow.cs:407)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Editor.Managers.MainManagerWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Editor/Managers/MainManagerWindow.cs:310)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

16. CodeBison

CodeBison

That exception looks like something you'll want to ask Opsive support about. I notice the UCC documentation for making items with custom FPS arms is a bit sparse though. I'll look at putting together some supplemental material specifically to help with FPS Mesh Tool arms in UCC, since there are some animation things to keep in mind using FPS arms that are humanoid rigged. I'll let you know when that's done.

17. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

Ok. I guess I am almost there. I worked out the problem I was having with the error with Opsive.
    Now my only problem is that I have created my First person arms and they turn invis when I got into First Person Vi.

I created the items I needed adding the FPSMesh Tool arms I made using your Asset as the First Person Base.
    The problem now is

When I play the game I have to use your UCCFPS Material Handler to get rid of the arms on my character.
    When I use the script to get rid of the arms on my character and go into first person view my FPSMesh arms are hidden as well. I tried adding my arms to the "ignore renderers on" section but it still hides them.
    How can I have the UCCFPS Script Ignore the Arms mesh?

Im looking at the code and it looks like the invis texture should only be applied to the current GameObject but it is being applied to the FPSArms even though after runtime the First Person Objects are moved to be children of the camera.

After I figure this out I think I will be golden!
    Please help.

18. CodeBison

CodeBison

Glad to hear you're almost there! :)

Because first person arms don't have multiple material sets on them, there's nothing special about them from a UCC material handling perspective. You just need to follow the standard procedure for using first person arms with UCC. I'd recommend looking at how the FPS arms are set up in the UCC demo project, and checking out the UCC manual for how to configure first person arms properly in UCC.

Cheers!

19. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

Maybe I am not clear. My arms are set up fine in UCC. The problem is that the UCCFPS Material Controller script is making my FPS arms invisible just like the arms on my character when I go into the first person view. I need to exclude the arms from what the UCCFPS Material Controller changes the material on. I tried adding my FPS Arms GameObject to the Ignore Renderers onsection in the script but it still changes the material on the arms.

20. CodeBison

CodeBison

Oh that's odd. If you temporarily disable the UCCFPSMaterialManager component before hitting play and then retry, does this still happen?

21. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

I said this already...
    No it doesnt happen when I disable the UCCFPS Material Controller but then My character 's arms do not hide when I go into FP view.
    When I play the game I have to use your UCCFPS Material Handler to get rid of the arms on my character when I go into first person view.
    When I use the script to get rid of the arms on my character and go into first person view my FPSMesh arms are hidden as well. I tried adding my arms to the "ignore renderers on" section but it still hides them.
    How can I have the UCCFPS Script Ignore the Arms mesh?

I am going to try to be as clear as possible so that hopefully you can actually try to help me.

Maybe You do not understand that when I say "Character arms" those are the arms on my character.
    When I say "FPS Mesh Arms" I am talking about my First Person Arms created with the FPS Mesh tool.

Maybe you also do not understand that I am using the Ultimate Character Controller. The UCC has the ability to switch between First and Third person. When I am in First person I am attempting to HIDE the character's arms and DISPLAY the First Person arms.. when I go into third person I would like to display the Characters arms.

The way it is now, when I go into First person view Both sets of arms and the head HIDE at the same time. I do not want the FPS Mesh Arms to hide or go invisible.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  22. CodeBison

CodeBison

So the arms don't become invisible when you have the component disabled? Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. Sorry if this process has been frustrating. The reason for asking the question in isolation was that, in light of the numerous changes to your setup over this process, I wasn't certain of the current state of your character.
    Thanks for your patience working through this. I'll investigate and let you know what I find.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  23. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

When I disable the UCCFPS Material everything remains visible.
    The problem with disabling the UCCFPS script is that My character arms remain visible as well.

24. CodeBison

CodeBison

Yeah, that was just intended as a diagnostic step. I'll be taking a look tonight, and let you know what I find.

Cheers!

25. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

It looks like Your MaterialController scripts are assigning the invisible material to the character before UCC makes the FPS arms mesh a child of the camera. That is what is making the Arms hide. The Invis material is being assigned to the character while the arms are still a child of the character and it is making them invis as well.

26. CodeBison

CodeBison

Sorry for the delay replying to your latest message. I've done a bit of testing, and I think I know what might be causing your issue. When you look at the UCCFPSDMaterialController component, do you see a section like this at the bottom?
    upload_2018-12-21_9-59-7.png
    If so, clicking the Update Renderer Information should fix it.

If not, then you'll want to make sure that the object you've added to the Ignore Renderers On list is correct. This should be the object your FPS arms are childed to before hitting play. I believe UCC calls this something like First Person Objects or something similar (I don't have access to my normal computer at the moment).

If this still doesn't work, there's one more thing you can do that will be guaranteed to fix it, though it's a bit less convenient. You can go through the Renderers list on the UCCFPSMaterialController component, and remove the FPS arm objects from it manually. The component will only adjust materials for objects in this list.

Please let me know how this goes, and if there's anything else I can do to help.

Cheers!

27. Ascensi

Ascensi

@CodeBison Hi is this asset compatible for FP VR multiplayer? I'd like the other players to see each other fully and if you stand in front of a mirror you can see yourself normal/full body.

28. CodeBison

CodeBison

Hi,

There's nothing unique to VR that changes how you'd handle first/third person materials, so yes, you can definitely use FPS Mesh Tool for a multiplayer VR experience. The use of mirrors combined with first/third person materials introduces some unique challenges, however, regardless of your platform. One way to do this is use a separate camera to render the mirror's view, and change the layers that camera renders. You then put the "third person" version of your local character on a layer the mirror camera is rendering, but your main camera is not. This approach will work fine with FPS Mesh Tool, as the techniques it uses are essentially a variant of classic FPS first/third person setups.

Hopefully that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

29. CodeBison

CodeBison

It looks like there was a bug in the inspector for UCCFPSMaterialController that was causing the Update Renderer Information button not to appear. Sorry about that. I've submitted a fix to the asset store. It should be live in the next day or so. If you want it before then, please email support@codebison.ca and I'll gladly send you a copy.

Cheers!

30. Melle_

Melle_

31. CodeBison

CodeBison

I haven't tried splitting any of the Synty characters, but I don't have any reason to believe they'd be a problem. If you try and for any reason FPS Mesh Tool doesn't do what you need, I'll happily refund your purchase.

32. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

When using FPS Mesh Tool with Ultimate Character Controller. i have an issue directly with FPS mesh Tool, since UCC requires arms only model im stripping that out of a second made prefab and pulling the Arms out of it made from FMT, im not taking the bones or anything else with it, however when i disable the object and re enable it. there is no longer a model visible. im using unity 2018.3

33. CodeBison

CodeBison

You'll need the bones. Without them, your mesh won't show.

34. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

thanks i got it sorted in their discord i ran through the process with someone and we both ran into a different type of issue now. the first person arms show even in third person mode >.<

35. CodeBison

CodeBison

If you look at the UCC sample character you'll see an example of how to set up FPS arms in UCC. The key is setting them as a first person object.

36. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

did that, watched the video, though it seems everytime i setup a UCC character its a hit and miss. not sure if its some bug or if i just got lucky on this last attempt and i was actually screwing something up. but so far it works as expected, before it was throwing a range of weird behaviour

37. CodeBison

CodeBison

Glad it's working for you. :)

38. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

Awesome! the update to the renders did it for me!

39. CodeBison

CodeBison

Glad to hear it!

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. :)

40. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

Hello, im just letting you know about the integration with UCC has been a nightmare to get working. normally its a simple drag and drop wam bam your done, however i have had some issues with the rotations of the mesh. This is neither FPS mesh Tools fault or UCC fault. its just the way it works. however if anyone is having the same issue. these are the rotation results im getting

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net...9vJjppFRxkGC_Ec/https/i.imgur.com/dXA3MgB.mp4

this issue is due to the pivit point of FPS Mesh Tool being at the feet after hiding the chest/Head

you will need to parent the fps mesh tool converted arms to an empty object and adjust the fps mesh arms so the new pivit point is somewhere close to where you would have the guns trigger or slightly in front of the neck as you can see here

this allows easier use of UCC spring system to correctly adjust the weapons during motion. and the ability to aim much easier and quickly

SirTwistedStorm and b152349 like this.
  41. CodeBison

CodeBison

That's an excellent user tip. Thanks for sharing! :)

RealSoftGames likes this.
  42. b152349

b152349

I'm trying to get this to work with Opsive's First Person Controller, but it looks like UCCFPSMaterialController explicitly requires both the first person and for some reason the third person controllers from Opsive. Is this the case? The First Person Controller unity page lists this asset as integrated so that would be disappointing - is there any work around?

A detailed youtube video covering this process from start to finish would be invaluable.

43. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

Hello, i had gotten this to work with UCC if you just want to hide specific body parts after you generate the new mesh flick on the mesh renderer and replace the new materials with the invisible material hope this helps!

44. b152349

b152349

Thank you, I really appreciate that but I'm struggling to understand. Getting the mesh without the arms or head from this tool isn't an issue (I'm guessing that's what you're suggesting to use the invisible material to achieve?), but then I have to add the arms as a parent to the weapon and my assumption is that the UCCFPSMaterialController does some of the work to make this possible. I can get the arms alone with another run of the fps mesh tool but then what? It's hard to tell if I'm blocked on this because the video demonstrating the integration doesn't include the arms/items setup with arms generated by this tool.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I'm just coming into this fresh so I could easily be missing the point.

I'm hoping the author can answer my question about UCCFPSMaterialController not working for First Person Controller without Third Person Controller so I can avoid any workaround.

Edit: I should add that I don't care about third person for my game - hence the 'no Third Person Controller' - so any shortcuts with that in mind are acceptable

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  45. b152349

b152349

I'm starting to suspect that UCCFPSMaterialController is simply meant to handle the full-body awareness for the case of switching back and forth between first person and third person and hiding the appropriate parts of the body for each view.. In which case I wouldn't need that controller.

If the above is correct, should I just:
    1. create the headless, armless version of my model with fps mesh tool
    2. set up the opsive first person controller character with model from step 1 ^ without any third person objects
    3. create the arms only version of my model with fps mesh tool
    4. stick those arms in my scene hierarchy (somewhere?)
    5. set up my sword item with the arms model as the parent (I'm confused about how this works since the biped output of this tool uses a different structure from the opsive demo character. I think I was assuming that UCCFPSMaterialController somehow handled this problem)

46. CodeBison

CodeBison

Hi,

This is close. For 4/5, you'll set up the first person arms using the UCC instructions for setting up FPS skills. You'll find @aquilinajake 's comment here useful when it comes to properly placing the arms.

RealSoftGames likes this.
  47. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

if you dont want third person and your only interested in first person, run fps mesh tool as normal and just apply the invisible material to the Mesh renderer object when you use FPS mesh tool a new prefab will be made in your scene with a new set of materials that are chopped for the selected parts.

48. b152349

b152349

Thanks guys. Did you guys have to use your own animations after creating arms from a humanoid-rigged model? I cant get the FirstPersonDemo animator to work with arms created using this tool but Nolan's arms from the demo work fine.

49. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

no you use the same animator controller as nolan, use Demo Aniamtor controller but you will need to use IK to fix issues with hand and arm positions and rotations

CodeBison and b152349 like this.
  50. b152349

b152349

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019