Search Unity

  1. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS Issue.

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by El Maxo, Jan 12, 2015.

  1. El Maxo

    El Maxo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2013
    Posts:
    177
    Hi Everyone,

    I am currently working on a project at the moment and nomatter what I do I have a Issue. My current project is suffering from a large amount of frame stuttering. I belive my issue is due to a FPS rate, I am running at a smoth 60 fps and have tryed everything to optimise this. Looking at the profiler it is due to Gfx.WaitForPresent. What I have read around this issue is that it limits the frame rate down to match the main moniter, (in my case is running at 60fps).

    I have tryed building the tuscany scene and it is suffering from the same issue as my other project, which I found quite strage as I downloaded the demo from the rift website and it has no issue from frame stutter.

    I would like to know if anyone else has had this situation and how they have fixed the situation.

    Thanks

    Max
     
  2. JDMulti

    JDMulti

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2012
    Posts:
    385
    I had this same issue until I changed in the publish settings the DirectX 11 checkbox to checked. Before that, I was running the published application on DirectX 9, which in all cases stutters your Oculus View.

    Took me some time to figure that out, but in the Oculus Rift documentation there was a screenshot showing what publish settings you need to check or uncheck. I guess I just passed that because I found myself smart enough not to read it all. My fault, I had to read it all ;)

    I would suggest to download that PDF and read carefully trough it about Publish settings and Quality settings. If all are the same, nothing should go wrong if your application runs at 60 fps and 20ms
     
  3. El Maxo

    El Maxo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2013
    Posts:
    177
    Thanks,

    Do you have any link where I can check this out, I have tryed unticking DirectX before thought.
     
  4. Binary42

    Binary42

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2013
    Posts:
    184
    Try: In Quality Settings set "VSync Count" to "Don't Sync".
     
  5. cowlinator

    cowlinator

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts:
    69
    Does this stuttering occur in the Unity editor, or on the Oculus? If Oculus, does it happen in direct or extended modes, or both?
     
  6. El Maxo

    El Maxo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2013
    Posts:
    177
    In the unity editor it doesnt have a issue that i can see, but when I build it thats when the stuttering happens. At the moment I am running in extended mode.
     
  7. El Maxo

    El Maxo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2013
    Posts:
    177
    I have tryed changing the build settings to what the document has stated and are still having stuttering issues
     
  8. Binary42

    Binary42

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2013
    Posts:
    184
    For DK2 you need 75 FPS. Did you disable VSync? Check your gfx-drivers settings too, maybe it is enforced there (though then the prebuild Tuscany would run smooth too).
     
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  9. JDMulti

    JDMulti

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2012
    Posts:
    385
    Did you also checked the Quality settings to what the documentation said? Also make sure you set that quality setting as default in your published platform. When I had stutter issues I went trough this checklist:

    - Publish settings as in Oculus Rift PDF?
    - Quality settings as in Oculus Rift PDF?
    - Double check publish settings are set to DirectX 11?
    - Application runs at least 60fps / 75fps?
    - 20 ms ?

    For Apple:
    - Screen of DK2 set to "Fits DK2 best" ?
    - If Apple Laptop, did I close the screen, so I only display 1 screen and ease the GFX card?

    For All computers:
    - Restart machine, close all background programs.

    If none of this worked, then the GFX card can't handle the application and is it hardware related.
    Tho I never tried the "Don't Sync" in Quality settings, because the PDF of Oculus stated not to change that. Give that a try as well.
    Mostly 99% of the time, this checklist is what works, the other 1% is the machine unable the handle the application and result in stuttering in the Oculus Rift.
     
  10. El Maxo

    El Maxo

    Joined:
    May 23, 2013
    Posts:
    177
    Thanks for the help guys, but for some reason the stuttering has gone when I disabled direct x 11
     
unityunity