Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS Constructor - Makes creating an FPS easy!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jason_DB, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Shigidy Sorry for the late reply! I've been in the middle of finals, so I haven't even had the time to check the forum.

Does the gun model that you are adding have an animations component (or any other scripts) on it? If it does, that might be the problem. Also make sure that your new model is at the same place in the hierarchy as the old one (probably a couple of levels down), and that it is in the 'Player' layer.

I would also be able to help through skype or screen sharing sometime after next Tuesday, if needed

2. Shigidy

Shigidy

I don't think the gun has any animations. Yeah if you could help me after tuesday with Skype I would appreciate it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  3. Shigidy

Shigidy

Hey, Jason I was just wondering if you could possibly help me tomorrow? I know you said after Tuesday, but I found out I don't have to work tomorrow. So if you get a chance tomorrow just let me know.

4. ArcIo

ArcIo

I would really like to buy this package and I'm debating between this and FPS Kit 2. Multi-player is the thing that is hanging me up right now and I know your in the middle of finals now so you cant predict when you'll add it, but you also have a massive community of devs out here that could all help chip away at the multi-player aspect. I know you can't give a deadline but if you had people work on small parts in an almost Agile method, we could help get it done!

I'm a self taught programmer so I'm not as bad a** as the rest of you but I'd be willing to do my part!

What do you think?

5. Shigidy

Shigidy

Arclo, I think the internet is working with a game called future ops online. He's working on simplifying the code, so everybody could use it. So I'm thinking we'll soon have 100 player online servers, co-op servers, and 8 player vs. But that's just what I think, so take it with a grain of salt.

6. Shigidy

Shigidy

Jason could you help me with my game tomorrow. I would really appreciate it.

7. tripknotix

tripknotix

Until Unity allows my multiplayer kit to go on the asset store, making it easier to integrate with FPS Constructor wont benefit anyone. Im getting the feeling it could take all year because there's been no progress updates from Unity. I'll let you know Shigidy the second I get the go ahead, but till then, i wouldnt concentrate on waiting for my solution, for multiplayer. Sorry, but its in Unity's hands right now. (If you have any questions post them in my FPS Kit's thread)

8. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Shigidy Sure! Just PM me your skype or whatever you want to use.

9. cloudfun

cloudfun

sorry jason was my fault, sorry for the delay answering you, everything works ok

10. Shigidy

Shigidy

Hey Jason Skype would be fine. my Skype name is cody.gregory89

11. Shizapp

Shizapp

Hi Jason, I have to first say that you have done an amazing job! Thank you so much!

I'm trying to make a mobile game with your kit by combining it with EasyToch 3.0. I have no clue where to begin. I have looked through the mobile scenes and still can't make heads or tails of how to take EasyTouch joystick and button and applying them to an input item. Unfortunately your documentation for mobile isn't current or detailed. Wondering if you could get me started in the right direction?

12. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames

Hi, im considering to buy this asset. Does the mobile version includes the script for camera-look using touch? Or do i need to write the code myself? I can write code for custom input such as fire, walk, etc, but cameralook is too hard to write.

13. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames

Hi, i cant wait for your reply. I just bought the asset ;)
    Why the Inputmanager prefab in the demomobile scene hierarchy is missing. Is this the same prefab as the demo scene? The demoscene's input manager is working. But the mobile scene's inputmanager is missing.

14. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Shizapp I'm glad you like it! I don't know much about EasyTouch, but to change the inputs in the FPS constructor you only need to change the values of the InputItem component. For example, if you want to make a joystick control the camera, you need to have it change the 'axis' values of the MouseX and MouseY input Items.

@IllogicalGames Hi! I'm sorry for the late reply. The good news is that there are actually two examples of camera look, one for tilt and one for a virtual joystick, so you can use those as a starting point.

For the missing input manager, that is very strange - I haven't encountered it before. Can you still move around if you run the scene? The mobile input managers are different, because they have touch and tilt controls.

15. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames

hi, i can move around with the tilt and touch input. but the inputmanager in the hierarchy is red (missing). the demoscene is ok, except the mobile. but i think its not fatal.

16. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@IllogicalGames Actually, that shouldn't be a problem. Red usually means 'missing prefab', but doesn't actually affect behavior at all.

17. AaronC

AaronC

Jason are the models allowed to be used in commercial games?
    Thanks. Great work btw

18. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@AaronC Yes, you can use the models for anything you want!

19. AaronC

AaronC

Sweet. Sale made. Nice to have a Javascript solution for a change too!

~A

20. AaronC

AaronC

A few issues on import.

The guide on your website was helpful regards input setup and layers, but theres conflicts with the std assets joystick that I think you're aware of.

I fixed those up without too many issues but in the mobile scene the prefab is broken? I reimported assets three times but it still has the same problem.

See image.

Any advice? Using 4.1.2f1
    Thanks.
    $Screen shot 2013-06-06 at 2.10.06 PM.jpg

21. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@AaronC

The prefab being 'broken' doesn't actually mean anything, just that there isn't a prefab for that object in the assets folder, so the red is just a cosmetic thing. It should work fine, and if you want to get rid of it just drag that InputManager object into a new prefab.

22. cloudfun

cloudfun

hi jason
    could you oriented me or help me with the creation of a torch ?
    i need to put a torch on my fps
    i try to start modifying the bearder axe weapon, cause i just need a hand with my torch model and a spotlight
    i did it
    but when i tested it when a walk the torch model moves with his own life not linked to the hand
    i try the same starting from the M1911 weapon but the movement is the same

i really dont khow what im doing wrong

thanks in advance

could you help me?
    thanks in advance

23. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@cloudfun The issue is that you are not putting the torch model in the right spot in the hierarchy - it needs to be a child of the object that is moving in order to move with it. Make sure that it has the same parent as the axe object that you removed.

24. IndyLion

IndyLion

Do you guys have a Unity 3.5 version of this?

25. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames

i have found a bug where sometimes the enemy doesnt detect hit from bullet. i have tried aiming with sniper scope, still dont kill the enemy and there is no bullet decals on the wall either.

26. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello Jason, this looks great!!

I was about to purchase then I saw that everything is in Jscript, do you have this in C#?

27. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Mohoe no, there is not a c# version of the package. It does work in C# projects, though, because it compiles first (allowing you to reference it in C# code).

28. iadeveloper

iadeveloper

Hello, very good job!
    My question is how I can do to stay saved bought weapons to move to another scene?

Español:
    Hola, muy buen trabajo!!!
    Mi consulta es como puedo hacer para que las armas compradas queden guardadas a pasar a otra escena?

29. colorcraft

colorcraft

Hello
    Is it possible to have a crafting system Instead of Shop and make Mags/Guns Items so you can drop them?

30. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@colorcraft yes, you can handle weapons/upgrades in your own code without using the included shop, so a crafting system is completely possible. Guns are currently droppable items, and ammo could be modified to be droppable.

31. colorcraft

colorcraft

Another Question Is multiplayer possible pvp ect.

32. ChazBass

ChazBass

I purchased this today and have been very impressed so far! First of all it works, exactly as described.

The code is well written and easy to understand. It seems obvious to me how the code can easily extended to build your own games. The documentation is excellent, and the developer's forum is good. He seems to respond quickly to questions.

Regarding the feedback on the asset store that it "doesn't work", I suspect that user did not follow the directions regarding setting up the project settings. The is clearly described in the documentation. I haven't found a single thing that doesn't work.

Kudos!

One follow up item, that might throw people: When following the documentation to set up a new scene with the controller and adding a weapon, you specify that the weapon needs to be added as a child of the weapon camera. What is not specified, though, is that it needs to be correctly positioned relative to that parent in order to be visible in the weapon camera.

So, for example, if you put it in the same location as in the demo scene (making it a child of the avoider, the gun needs be located at 0, 0, -0.49 relative to that object. If you are in open world space, you might notice this, but if you are in a scene with existing objects you might not.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  33. Shigidy

Shigidy

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  34. LoonyBen

LoonyBen

I really wanted to buy this kit, but after looking at the minimal documentation and lack of good answers on the support forum I'll wait until the devs put in a little more effort.
    It shows promise, but I don't want to buy another abandoned project.

35. tripknotix

tripknotix

in your documentation it says, "This documentation refers to Version 1.3 which was submitted to the Asset Store on February 17, 2013. It is not yet live on the store." , is 1.3 live now?

36. Njdbusiness

Njdbusiness

Any chance of WIFI Multiplayer coming soon? Surely this cannot be too difficult to implement... :confused:

37. TheStone

TheStone

Version: 1.3f1 (May 13, 2013)Size: 27.7 MB

38. RetronamicGames

RetronamicGames

A few questions:

- Is this still active and maintained? There's been a lot of stuff lately and no updates from the author, apparently.
    - Is iOS and Android supported? (controls included?)
    - Is networking supported?

39. colorcraft

colorcraft

@Shigidy The FPS Construct currently does not work with MultiLan
    multilan is unable to spawn the Fps Controller which I found when
    using them both.

40. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Hi Everyone,

I started this package many years ago as a high school student, and since then it has been essentially only me maintaining and supporting it. Continuous improvement and comprehensive personal support have always been priorities for me when it comes to this package, as any of the people whose projects I personally debugged can attest to. Unfortunately, as I near the end of my college career and the start of a new part of my life it simply isn't possible for me to provide the level of support and improvement that I think are necessary for a package like this.

It's because of this that I am making the package free - if I can't provide a satisfactory level of service anymore I don't think that people should be expected to pay me anything. I hope that existing customers are happy with the value that has been provided for so long, and that anyone who purchased it recently and is unhappy with the change will be able to obtain a refund (if you have any trouble with this, please contact me directly at info@dastardlybanana.com).

I am also considering making this open source so that it can continue to evolve and be a useful tool for Unity developers, maybe even setting it up on GitHub. I would likely need some help administrating that, though, and I want to be sure that people have interest before going through the process.

Finally, I just want to thank everyone who has been a part of this community for so long - whether you downloaded the old free version so many years ago, bought the package on the asset store, or even just contributed to the discussion. You made all of this possible, and as sad as I am for this to be coming to a close I am still very glad to have had the chance to interact with all of you. I hope that people will keep using this package to make great FPS games even once I am gone.

Thank You,

Jason Whitehouse

Dastardly Banana Productions

P.S. While I won't be explicitly supporting the package anymore, if you email a question it to me at info@dastardlybanana.com I'll still try to help.

41. RetronamicGames

RetronamicGames

Was the package published already?

42. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Hi Everyone!

I'm not sure why Unity is being so slow with the price change - I submitted an update with just the price change close to a week ago and it still has not gone through!

In the meantime, I am hosting the package on my own site for anyone who wants to get it from there: Download Link

Thanks,

Jason

43. Shigidy

Shigidy

Did you get that e-mail I just sent you.

44. unitylover

unitylover

Thank-you for releasing this for free. I couldn't believe it when I saw it and I even e-mailed Unity asking if there was a glitch because I was so surprised. Many people will learn a lot thanks to your hard work and I cannot thank you enough!

45. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

Thank you :)

46. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Jeremiasz @unitylover I'm glad that you're using it!

Also I just want to note for everyone that the update on the asset store has gone through, so you can download it for free from there!

47. AussieBoss

AussieBoss

Hey all,

I recently downloaded and imported this asset into unity. However, I get compiler errors whenever I try to go into play mode. It tells me to fix compiler errors. I followed all of the information on your website about deleting the main camera and adding the "player" and "manager". I'm not sure what the errors are, but for some reason it wont work? It might have been an issue with me not installing it correctly, but I'm not sure as to how to uninstall assets... (I'm new to unity)

Also, thanks for making such a great package Jason. Its really good for indie game developers.

Thanks,
    Jack

48. OutSpoken_Gaming

OutSpoken_Gaming

Post the compiler error that you are getting.

To "uninstall" the asset you need to delete the folder it installed.

49. AussieBoss

AussieBoss

50. OutSpoken_Gaming

OutSpoken_Gaming

I would delete both the standard assets folder and the everything the FPS asset installed and reimport everything. Do all your standard assets first but when you import FPS Constructor don't let it import anything that isn't "new". When you import the folder it will have a green tag to the right of every asset in the folder that says new. Hopefully that will fix the problem.