Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS around 165 with empty scene, 120 in a simple test scene is this normal?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by glidersgames, Jul 16, 2019.

1. glidersgames

glidersgames

I have an i7 and GTX 1080 don't know what kind of frame rate I should be getting on unity and this is with no vsync on. Thanks for the help in advance :) Trying to make a 3D Game btw

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Welcome to the forum! :)

To answer your question: yes, that sounds normal. You can expect anything from close to zero to 600 frames in the editor or more in the built player.

However, this doesn't tell you much. What are you concerned about? Game performance? Then you can use the Unity Profiler to investigate performance bottlenecks, but this is best done on the built player since the editor (play mode) has some overhead not part of the final game.

Editor performance? You can profile the editor if there are specific problems while working in the Scene. Otherwise, the answer is really not insightful because it sounds like you are expecting a very high FPS number in an empty scene, but this wouldn't tell you anything about your game's performance. Unity doesn't optimize for high framerates, it tries to provide systems to create a game that runs at typically 30, 60 or 120 frames.

3. glidersgames

glidersgames

Thank you, just wondering why I'm not closer to 600 frames but I will keep experimenting

4. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I wouldn't worry too much about it, there are many things slowing down the editor, but you can always create a development build with an empty scene and attach the Profiler to see the high limit (if vsync is disabled in player settings).

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Editor frame rates are only barely useful for relative comparisons, such as before and after adding some new content, but even that is debatable.

6. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Well, I rather would call the framerate in the editor random than anything else. Do not care about it. At all. The editor runs a lot of other stuff, taking care a bunch of things in random intervals, random workload. You cannot rely on that.
    Run the profiler and measure the actual game performance and check how many milliseconds you're using. That's what important.