Search Unity

Discussion FPS Arms Animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Mr_Packer12, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Mr_Packer12

Mr_Packer12

This is more of a general inquiry and am just looking for general perspectives. For my first person project, I have an assortment of weapons in the game. In order to attach multiple weapons, I have learned to create multiple sets of arms holding the guns (1 pair of arms holding a shotgun, 1 pair of arms holding a pistol, etc.). When "switching" weapons or weapon pickups, I just turn on and off the corresponding arms to match. This also allows me to create separate animations (walk, aim, idle, etc.) for each set of arms and it stays pretty organized. Is this an efficient way of doing this? Just looking for general feedback on if anyone else does it this way or what other ways they do it. I have been looking for info explaining how some AAA titles I play set their first person weapons up, but haven't found anything yet. Any and all ideas/feedback welcome, thanks!

2. hkalterkait

hkalterkait

Hi, I believe there is a better/more advanced way of achieving what you are trying to do by using Animator Override Controllers. You don’t need multiple arms that way and it is overall cleaner in my opinion.
    I strongly suggest you check out Infima Games assets in the unity asset store. They have exactly what you are looking for and u can learn a great deal from it. Black Friday sales are still up and the Low Poly Shooter Pack is on sale and they also have a free version.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Mr_Packer12

Mr_Packer12

Yes this absolutely helps thank you.

hkalterkait likes this.