Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS Animating multiple guns on 1 rig?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by michaelevans1210, Jan 22, 2020.

1. michaelevans1210

michaelevans1210

So to start, I'm animating in Blender. I'm able to make/rig a run animation for a simple character but in that animation the arms are apart, so surely I can't hold a pistol in both hands like this. Easy solution, move the hands together. But then what happens when I want to hold an assault rifle? Sniper? Assault rifle with a long barrel etc the list goes on. I'm not sure how I'm able to make a running animation that works for all guns? I can't imagine people make a new animation for each gun so how does it work? I am fairly new to Blender and 3D modelling overall (about a week or 2 in) but I'm just so lost on how this will work. It's really the only part I'm drawing a total blank for.

2. michaelevans1210

michaelevans1210

Okay so I've been through a lot of different ideas, most of which are brute force or don't work, but I think there's one that might. You basically animate the arms completely separate to the rest of the character model, you also animate the guns separately and then you have to make different animations for each gun but only different hand/arm (and obviously gun) animations, then attached the arms to the body that is doing the same running as usual