Search Unity

found a bug instantiating gameobject from resources

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by steveh2112, Feb 19, 2020.

1. steveh2112

steveh2112

i was struggling to get this code working
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         _ActiveArrow = Instantiate(Resources.Load<GameObject>("Models/Ammo/Arrows/Arrow/Arrow"));
    4.         Rigidbody arrowRB = _ActiveArrow.GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    5.         if (!arrowRB)
    6.                  Debug.LogError("PlayerController FireArrow NO RB");
    The prefab Resources/Models/Ammo/Arrows/Arrow/Arrow.prefab has a rigidbody but it wasn't been loaded by
    GetComponent, i got null

however, the .fbx file was in the same folder as the prefab. so i took a guess and moved the fbx to a different folder, then everything ok, RB is loaded

it seems unity first choice on Resources.Load is the fbx, not the prefab, so maybe its not a bug, but cirtainly is confusing

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Are the FBX and prefab both named "Arrow"? If so this doesn't sound like a bug. Just bad file naming.

3. steveh2112

steveh2112

yes, they are the same name and i don't consider that bad naming at all, i have hundreds of prefabs all named the same as the fbx, its my standard way of keeping track of things and keeping well organized. but putting the model in a sub folder called Models is not a bad idea

anyhow, i think the fact that its not a documented 'feature' https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Resources.Load.html is a fault with unity