Search Unity

[forum] Warning before necroposting?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by StarManta, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

necro posting is often an issue on tech boards due to how quickly information goes out of date. While at the same time, the history provides a searchable database of potential problems. Personally I don't see a problem with necro so long as it's not some fool saying something like "lol noob", or gibberish like that.

2. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I can see this working. Maybe a less silly icon could be used, but even a skull is fine to represent a dead thread.

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Or even just a dialog saying something like "This thread has been inactive for a long time. Are you sure you want to bring it back instead of starting a new one?" There are plenty of valid reasons why you might indeed want to raise an old thread again, the point is just to help people avoid doing it by accident, right?

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

How about nothing since its so rare it's not an issue.

ippdev likes this.
  5. yaapelsinko

yaapelsinko

Yeah, sure, Internet must be a mindless stupid thing that has no memory, let it be something like twitter or facebook.

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I can't see how a reminder would make it any more of an issue.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  7. orb

orb

Plain, old spam should we wiped out as fast as possible, and old threads (3 months+?) should have a big, red warning box in front the reply field saying: "THIS THREAD IS OLDER THAN LAZARUS LONG! ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO POST?". There, solved a world problem :p

8. BlackPete

BlackPete

<_<

>_>

LOL NOOB!

:D

/ducks, covers, and runs

Actually I do appreciate the irony in necroing an old thread about necroposting to address recent necro'ed threads.

I don't see what's wrong with a warning when reviving an old thread. It's not going to stop you from posting if you think you have a really good reason to do so.

9. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

First off. Haaaa. And may I add
    The warning should contain a clause about humiliation if the reason for necro wasnt valid.

lunaticCoder likes this.
  10. lunaticCoder

lunaticCoder

That is a question only God can answer.

11. StarManta

StarManta

I still see necroposts on a regular basis. Still in favor of a warning.

sa-muratbalci likes this.
  12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

So it appears this topic has not been resolved........

13. LaneFox

LaneFox

What if the resolution was "no."?

14. huulong

huulong

I have myself necroposted recently and frankly, I hesitated between helping a few people that would find the page via search engine, or try hard not to bother people looking at the top of the forum section (I suppose it only concerns people who are enabling notifications for the whole forum? I did that for UI once and then gave up on it, there were too many threads that didn't concern me).

I was suggesting to add an opt-out checkbox "Do not bump to top of threads (check this when adding minor information to old threads)" in the post options; or possibly the opt-in equivalent.

It would be convenient for minor comments that are worth saying to people watching the thread / finding the page via search engine, but not worth saying to everybody else.

Problem is, options are currently hidden in More Options... which some people may miss.

If the checkbox is opt-in (Bump), then most people will miss it and most posts won't bump at all.
    If the checkbox is opt-out (Do not bump), then most people will miss it and necro will bump as usual.

So it may be a good idea to always show the options (as in other forums) in combination with this (we should anyway, some people may forget to subscribe to new posts because of this).

We could combine this with the warning system: if thread is old, ask confirmation to bump (opt-in is checked, or more importantly if opt-out is unchecked).

Finally, we could combine this with the Resolved status suggested in another thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/forum-feature-request-mark-a-thread-as-resolved.272834/
    If thread is resolved, the checkbox is set not to bump by default (you could argue that forum threads are for open discussions only and Unity Answers for closed discussions, and I would agree, but sometimes we need a thread to post answers in a longer format, esp. when sharing big code snippets).

Realistically though, it seems that Unity Forum is using some templated solution (somebody mentioned they'd be looking at a plugin for thread auto-lock for instance), so not sure how much they can modify precise behavior...

Niter88 likes this.
  15. SF_FrankvHoof

SF_FrankvHoof

This is meta AF.. :eek::p

16. Amon

Amon

We should have a 'Let's all Necro' day where the person who necro's the oldest thread within a 10 minute time limit wins a Goldfish named Dave!

Niter88 and SF_FrankvHoof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.