Search Unity

Forum upgrade! Advanced notice of downtime. Monday 2nd of June 14

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

The time is soon upon us, we are moving to XenForo on Monday 2nd of June, the forums will be in maintenance all day while we migrate everything over. We're keeping all your data and posts, so don't worry about that but there may be some differences in forum account settings you may need to check. Here is a blog with more information. http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/30/new-unity-forums/

We'll be updating our social media along the way: Twitter, Facebook, Google+

2. tswalk

tswalk

is it possible to provide the effected time zone impact for folks? (8am - 5pm, +2GMT... or whatever), so I know not to bother looking for answers to common problems?

3. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Hip hip hooray.

4. NomadKing

NomadKing

T minus X minutes til upgrade! :D

5. peterdeghaim

peterdeghaim

Glorious profile pictures!

Is there any chance of Tapatalk support in the future?

6. renman3000

renman3000

I hate these new forums.

That may be a bit harsh. Here are my issues.

1) the layout, as I scan over topics in a forum (ex. scripting forum) are harder to read. The layout is jumbled it feels. If someone lacks an icon, it just adds to the clutter.

Stronger, clearly marked divisions between topics would help.

2) real time alerts. It's like a chain that keeps you tethered to the boards. I just recieved one as I wrote this to a thread I had responds to. My qualm is that, I remeber the threads I am addressing and I go back to them as needed, in my own time. With the alerts, I feel obligated and teetered to the thread.

I feel it eats into my work time.

Please disable. (Says this knowing there is probably an option in settings) tell me there is!!!

7. peterdeghaim

peterdeghaim

I beg to differ. The lack of alerts to me was everything that was wrong with the old forums!

I understand your troubles but really, it's not that hard to just close the forums when you need to work. Unless of course you're like me.

The UI does need some improvements though, you were definitely right with that (as much as I love these glorious profile pictures, it's true).

8. renman3000

renman3000

The pics are great, if you have one.
    My one main qualm and its a big one is that the layout of then threads topics, with in a particular forum are much harder to scan and quickly decipher.

Good graphic design means one does not have to "get used to it" first.

Alerts? Ehhhh. I'll get used to it.

:)

Edit.
    I just went over them and two thing that would really help is this.... 1) the default icon, given to someone who does not have one, should be much bolder and pop from the page. It should not be a faint grey question mark. That just adds to the clutter. How about a black background, white Unity icon??!?! That would work.

2) I think the real issue is the lack of clear, separation between the permenent topics at the top of each given forum and the fluid ones below. If the designer creates a bold definition between the two sections that would help as I now find my self going over these permenent ones trying to find someone to help in the regular ones.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    peterdeghaim likes this.
  9. renman3000

renman3000

Ahn.
    I'm getting used to it now.

It's certainly sexier and richer. I guess my eyes did just need to adjust.

See, I'm not the old, "get off my lawn!" Guy yet!

peterdeghaim likes this.
  10. renman3000

renman3000

I am still finding the layout awkward. Just a shout out to the Unity staff. But whatever, they work well enough!

Ps, I never would have replied again to this thread had I not been alerted, somebody, Liked my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.