Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Forum search should allow shorter search terms like VR and XR

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by reinfeldx, Nov 6, 2021.

1. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

Searching threads for VR, AR, and XR content is trickier than it needs to be due to Unity's search term length requirement. I'd love to see this changed.

Joe-Censored and kittik like this.
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

You alternative and in most cases better option is to use any search engine and type, Unit forum VR,AR,XR or relevant, plus additional key words.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

VR stuff is only in the VR subforum, I've found users really don't go far from there with this. Also google is much better at searching Unity forums than the Unity forums.

4. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

I've run into issues while searching long threads about the New Input System and the Rewired package (that thread is 155 pages long). There's some important, XR-specific info in those threads that has been a pain to sort through.

Do you have any insight on why the search term length restriction is there in the first place? Why is it a good thing on the Unity/forum side of things?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's pretty common, it's a forum search setting. The admin could change it I guess, but usually it's best not to because of red herrings. I agree it could be improved.

I still use google though, even though my searches are longer. You can use forum.unity.com: vr as the google search term for example and it'll restrict it to just unity's forums.

6. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

Agreed that it’s common, but I’d trade red herrings for better in-thread search of XR terms. My guess is that the vast majority of devs don’t need to be protected from their own searches.

There’s no way to search within specific threads via Google though, right?

As mod, do you have any ability to pass this discussion/suggestion along to the appropriate Unity folks?