Search Unity

Forum search broken

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by FaithlessOne, Jun 30, 2022.

1. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

Proposal: Link your "Search Forums" directly to the google search and let google do the job.

Reason: The forum search is broken and did not find corresponding post or threads on long keyword chains, but googles search will still find matching threads.

Proof: Use "Search Forums" with following keyword chain "Destroy may not be called from edit mode". Search in all forums with childs included with any prefixes. No results.

upload_2022-6-30_12-36-7.png

Do a search with google:
    site:forum.unity.com "Destroy may not be called from edit mode"

upload_2022-6-30_12-37-11.png

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Unity forum it is not phrase based search engine. But keyword based.
    Try exclude keywords, which are omitted by Unity forum search. Either too short, or too generic, common. I.e. BY, FROM, TOO.

If you search
    Destroy may not called edit mode
    With excluded BY and FROM, it works.

upload_2022-7-1_23-30-8.png

I am surprised MAY works.
    Maybe because it is a name of the month too.

If you want phrase based searches, then you need use different tool, as you have noted.
    In most cases works even better, as these have AI algorithms, and catches spelling errors and similar phrases.

Unity forum search is good, if you search for specific keywords, in specific sections, knowing more less where to look at.

Otherwise use external search engine.

3. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

I see. Didn't know that certain terms had to be excluded from the keywords. In this case I use google search when I want to find phrases, just to be safe in the future. Thanks for the clarification.

Antypodish likes this.