Search Unity

Forum is slow as molasses

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by chingwa, Apr 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chingwa

chingwa

Title says it all. I've notice it slowing down over the past week or two, but the last two days have been really bad. My internet connection is not the issue as other sites load just fine. I'm not the only one to be experiencing this am I?

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

yes for me too

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

Been running like garbage lately, often timing out.

4. Mauri

Mauri

Same here. I sometimes get an 503 error...

5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

seems better now

6. 00christian00

00christian00

For me it's still super slow. Sometime it takes even 6-7 seconds before responding.

rawfox likes this.
  7. elbows

elbows

Terrible again for me today. Clearly some ongoing issue, any chance of some official acknowledgement of this and explanation of cause and plan to fix?

I'm in the UK if it makes any difference.

JamesArndt likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Same. It's barely working for me. I'm used to the occasional 503 from the site but it's almost impossible to use right now.

9. and-poulsen

and-poulsen

Unity Technologies

We're aware of this and are looking into moving the server onto better hardware

RendCycle, Vryken, Mauri and 6 others like this.
  10. elbows

elbows

Thanks for the info and you have my sympathies, web server/hosting issues are not much fun.

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Can you also move the asset store server to better hardware? Its very slow in the unity editor when I want to download one of my 500 assets, just listing my assets takes 2 minutes. ( 100 Mbit connection )

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  12. ferretnt

ferretnt

I've always felt that the design of the assetstore is specifically optimized to help you impulse-buy MORE assets, not to find or use the ones you've bought! (This is far from a unique thing in digital storefronts, to be fair...)

13. 00christian00

00christian00

Did we saturate even the new hardware? Was fine until today, now it's again superslow.
    Or do you still need to move it?

chingwa likes this.
  14. Baste

Baste

Getting a lot of this today:

upload_2018-6-18_17-50-9.png

15. Vryken

Vryken

Came here to say the same thing. Been getting tons of 503 server errors and was wondering if everything is alright.

16. andyz

andyz

The forum site is really slow compared to any other site I visit - are will still awaiting server upgrades?

17. Baste

Baste

It's getting worse. The last week or so, about one in five attempts to open a page on the forum ends in a 503.

18. elbows

elbows

The sympathy that I expressed in mid May regarding server trouble is fast being replaced with extreme dismay that this situation has still not been resolved.

19. sngdan

sngdan

Title made me laugh - to the point, exactly how it feels for months.

20. And last week it started to me too. So I will just join the queue and throw the stones.

The forum is starting to be useless, it loads on every fifth refresh and then it loads slowly like a turtle running with severe back pain.

21. RendCycle

RendCycle

Loading is slower than molasses for me if I visit anything within unity3d.com and unity.com domains. I think someone or some group is DOS-ing the site... or there is just too much data for the system to handle. Hoping unity3d.com / unity.com gets migrated soon to a more better and powerful server/s. If that will take long, maybe temporarily use Cloudflare or something similar for now if DOS is the concern.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  22. MitchStan

MitchStan

I feel like it’s 1986 and I’m using a 300 baud dial up modem.

Seriously, I’ve been on this forum since 2006 and it’s never been this bad.

Why the radio silence from Unity? Can someone from Unity please do something? At least respond.

Akshara, Lurking-Ninja and elbows like this.
  23. ecurtz

ecurtz

Whatever you just did in the last hour made a huge difference over the last few weeks, so keep it like that! :)

RendCycle likes this.
  24. elbows

elbows

For months the extreme slowness and failure to load pages has been rather intermittent for me, so I wont assume its fixed just yet.

25. chingwa

chingwa

Yeah, it is quite intermittent issues but is still not addressed after many months. Seems to be particularly bad during mid-morning hours U.S. Eastern time. This place is completely unusable at times... with pages just completely failing to load. No errors, just a blank page. Then at other times it works perfect.

26. MitchStan

MitchStan

I just spent 2 minutes refreshing the page 16 times to read the above post.

Akshara and chingwa like this.
  27. Akshara

Akshara

Yeah, what is wrong with the forum? Every single day, especially in the mornings, pages hang on load for 30+ seconds to minutes or just go to 503 errors. This very thread went to a 503 page twice before loading in. It has been going on for months, though more acutely over the last several weeks, and is making using the forum an unnecessarily aggravating process. Something needs to be done.

Ryiah likes this.
  28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's part of the cunning plan to push all users to lithium and unity connect.

Ryiah and chingwa like this.
  29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The forum was supposed to go to a better server, would be nice to know when that is planned for

30. Akshara

Akshara

Though I know this is sarcasm, and slightly surprised by your posting it, I will admit to wondering if there is a ring of truth to it - and suggest that it may be working, at least for me.

If Lithium can make the experience and time invested here more positive and fruitful, then I'm honestly open to it. That last attempt, for me anyway, was less about change and more about too much functionality being left behind. If the Unity team has been adding that functionality to a Lithium design behind the scenes during the interim, then I say flip the switch and go for it.

And Connect, it's not so bad, just... different. Like a Discord lite, where one doesn't need punctuation

Somewhere I hear a maniacal Zultan Kulle or Palpatine laugh... "All is proceeding as I have foreseen."

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  31. Akshara

Akshara

And of course the forum froze when I hit Reply to Thread and double posted, lol

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well I was one of the moderators pressing for the existing forum format, and I have plenty of critique for Unity connect but still waiting for Unity staff to ask when they wish to, always here for that kind of feedback.

Sarcasm? maybe not. Who knows?

Ryiah and Akshara like this.
  33. chingwa

chingwa

NOOOOO What are you saying man???? :eek:

Ryiah, hippocoder and Akshara like this.
  34. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Lithium only helps Unity staff use user posts as data, it's what it's for. As a forum it is S***.

35. elbows

elbows

With some bonus irony about how badly the gamification-based piece of poop went down with a community centred on a game engine!

hippocoder likes this.
  36. RendCycle

RendCycle

The site is quite slow again for the past few days. It even affects accessing the Asset Store within Unity.

Edit: More complaints can be found here. Anyhow, to temporarily alleviate the slowdown / improve loading speed, using a browser that helps bypass geographic restriction/blocking seem to have worked for me... or maybe use a VPN.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  37. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Hey all, we're working to address the forum speeds. We'll have an update for everyone soon.

*Thread Closed*

Kronnect likes this.
  38. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.