Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Forming New Animations

Discussion in '2D' started by ocdunlap, Jun 14, 2015.

1. ocdunlap

ocdunlap

Hey, sorry to post two topics so close together, but I have encountered another issue. I am trying to work through the 2D Roguelike Tutorial, hoping to get more familiar with the environment. However, I have having problems creating an animation the same way it is done in the tutorial. When he goes to create an animation, he simply selects the sprites and drags it to the game object, and after doing so a window pops up titled "Create New Animation." However, when I do this, no window pops up, and it just creates an animation with the same name as the spritesheet, and plops it into the Sprites folder (it doesn't prompt me for a location). This is really problematic, as it's preventing me from creating all of the animations because they have identical names. Help?

EDIT: I was able to create animations the old fashioned way by doing it manually through the animator. However, I would still like to figure out why the other way isn't working! I'm on Unity 5.1.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. PGJ

PGJ

It seems like 5.1 have changed the behaviour. However, you can rename the animation once it's created. So I guess it isn't a huge problem...

3. Kuan

Kuan

Unity Technologies

PGJ is right about the behaviour changed in 5.1. It meant to be quicken the process of drag and drop and form an animation for the selected sprite sheets.

4. dazzzY0

dazzzY0

I am not able to change the name of the animation in any way. I'm using the Windows version Unity 5.1.1f1 (64-bit), in Windows 8.1 x64
    Can you please elaborate the process of changing names. I know it sounds a bit nonsense but i'm really struggling with that. Thanks

5. PGJ

PGJ

If you are on a PC; select the animation and press F2.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  6. dazzzY0

dazzzY0

And now i am just ashamed :oops:; Thank you very much. Although i cant change it in the inspector.... but F2 solved it. :)

7. Hi_ImTemmy

Hi_ImTemmy

A very handy thread! I had the exact same question pestering me tonight.

8. reydlt

reydlt

I vote to bring that feature back. it was far more convenient to be able to label and organize your animations into folders as you're creating them, than to have to go back and click around a few extra steps to get the same thing done. not to mention that changing the name of the animation in the Inspector doesn't actually change the name of the actual object in the Project tab, which makes it confusing down the line when you're trying to associate certain animations to an Animation Override Controller, for example...

Hi_ImTemmy likes this.