Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Forge] Owner change Serialized Custom Instance Variables

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Smoozilla, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Smoozilla

Smoozilla

So I have looked everywhere for this, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I've been using the free version of Forge to give it a test, I have my NetworkedMonoBehavior searalizing variables like this:

void Awake()
    {
    AddNetworkVariable(() => DesiredSpeed, x => DesiredSpeed = (float)x);
    AddNetworkVariable(() => DesiredRotation, x => DesiredRotation = (Quaternion)x);
    AddNetworkVariable(() => Moving, x => Moving = (bool)x);
    }

and in my OwnerUpdate() I am changing these variables. It works playing on the server, but when connecting from a client, the server will not update these values, the client will try to move but server (being authoritative) will lock them in place. These are values I want the owner to have full control over in exactly the way they are supposed to work (only updating on a change), but it seems the server has control on these values. Do I need to put in RPCs to force these updated?

I want the owner to have final say on these values, and tell the server what they should be.
    How do I accomplish this?

Thanks

P.S. I'm Instantiating on the server and changing the owner to the connection, if that makes any difference

2. Smoozilla

Smoozilla

So it seems by having the NetworkedMonoBehavior as Authoritative, the values won't update from the client. But removing Authoritative is not what I want. Unfortunately it looks like to get what I want I'll have to use Forge client side prediction, and figure out a way to calculate player controls on the server.

My current player controls use Input.MousePosition and Camera to cast a ray. I can't imagine Input.MousePosition having a value I could use on the server, and since I can't simply NetSync values back to the server when it's Authoritative I might be stuck using RPCs.

If only I could figure out how to force a NetSync from client owner to server, regardless of Authoritative. Suppose I'll use RPCs for now and check the changed value myself before sending.