Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

ForestVision [ Artist Essentials Product ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mcbauer, May 13, 2016.

1. mcbauer

mcbauer

Reaching out to Unity, it shows as 10 on the publisher side, but 20 on the store.

2. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Cool! Great deal.

Thanks, I'll look for it. I haven't jumped on it because I have the main ForestVision, but the new price will make me go for it. I really love the trees you make.

3. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I've been keeping an eye on the store and Uni has not changed the price yet. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
    I guess Unity it being really slow.

4. mcbauer

mcbauer

They finally updated it. Twas a bug in the system.

5. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Awesome :)

mcbauer likes this.
  6. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I made this today while at work, during the time while not preparing for the hurricane.

Made using ForestVision Trees, plants, grasses, and rock. Textures are from MegaSpat, Terrain is made with Gaia. Grass and plant placement with Vegetation Studio.

"What does an artist do when under stress? ...Create"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    mcbauer likes this.
  7. TomTumbler

TomTumbler

Am I wrong or look the leaves of the trees somehow strange? They look so pixelated and "torn out". Looks as if the leaves had been miserably cropped/isolated.

8. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Everything is pixelated, but the leaves are because I messed with the alpha channel. There are also no post processing and I didn’t set the proper resolution. It is a raw image. But I Like it.

I ran out of time because it was time to clock out.

Just a doodle screenshot and something to do to ease my mind while hearing nothing but how were are all going to be killed by this hurricane that’s about to hit us on the coast here.

9. mcbauer

mcbauer

Very nice, thanks for sharing!!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  10. mcbauer

mcbauer

Also, be on the look out for a price drop on FV......

dsilverthorn likes this.
  11. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I love your trees! :)

mcbauer likes this.
  12. mcbauer

mcbauer

It's awesome to hear that bud, thank you!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  13. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Do you have any type of video for FV-Uni?
    Since I have FV I am not sure if I need Uni, is there a benefit to Uni that is not in FV?
    Thanks

14. mcbauer

mcbauer

Honestly the benefit is gaining the features of Unity trees (procedural) over solid mesh trees. Billboarding is another one.
    Plus it handles more optimizations that FV won't. It's better for mobile as well.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  15. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Ok so it would be better for a forest and the main FV trees are for the high detailed close up trees.

Does that sound right?

I’m trying to figure out how to use both.

mcbauer likes this.
  16. mcbauer

mcbauer

Yes that would be a good implementation

dsilverthorn likes this.
  17. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Excellent
    Thanks
    And keep up the artistry :)

18. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Hi @mcbauer This looks great. Been watching the videos and keen to buy... a few questions, if I may.

- You mention Vegetation Studio in one of your posts. Can you confirm that trees created (after clicking optimised) are compatible with VS?

- Are you working on a texture atlaser and/or mesh optimisation and/or LOD creator for your trees? Seems to me that these would be killer tools to add to the toolset. (if not, can you recommend specific tools for this kind of optimisation?)

- I can't work out the difference between ForestVision and ForestVision-Uni. Is the first the 'editor' (i.e. the tree creation tools plus substance extras) and the second just lots of ready-made trees? If you buy FV, does buying FV-Uni get you more trunks/bracmches/textures etc.? or is it just duplicating content?

- The latest video mentions the Browser no longer working. Without it, what's the process for adding branches. Are you limited to just using the TreeTools?

Many thanks

19. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

@jeromeWork
    Can you confirm that trees created (after optimised) are compatible with VS?
    -I've been using Forest Vision for a while now and can tell you that they do work well with VS after optimization, before optimized you lose some of the trunk textures sometimes. You don't want overpopulate the high textured trees (there are some beautiful ones) in VS as it will slow your system down, it is a balancing act. FV gives very unique trees, so you really don't want a thousand of the same high quality trees, but I have still done it:D, you just have to choose wisely and play with the settings in VS to get the right performance/beauty balance.
    The attached picture below is all with FV trees, grass and plants all done with VS. It is a great package. There is some post processing on for effect (I had to find a pic to show it works.) I took one of the demo scenes and tested by adding a Gaia terrain and the surrounding area as all VS populated FV trees and plants. I have other examples, if you would like, just let me know.

Are you working on a texture atlaser...
    -mcbauer will have to answer that one.

difference between ForestVision and ForestVision-Uni
    -I just bought Uni tonight, so I haven't tried it yet, but by the description I got today, it seems it would work very well with VS for large masses of trees. And using standard FV for your main trees at primary locations. The details are very nice and artistic. I can't say enough about them. I will be testing Uni tonight and let you know more after testing.

The latest video mentions the Browser no longer working. Without it, what's the process for adding branches. Are you limited to just using the TreeTools?
    -Before 2017 he had a nice browser that you saw in the video to help in tree creation. You can still create and add branches, you just don't have it all compact in the browser anymore. Follow the next video tutorial and he explains the latest way to make the trees. I've done it and it works will within the editor, I just haven't made any new trees in a while. There is also a small PDF giving the new directions, really easy start up- nothing special but it will get you started.

Final thought:
    It is well worth the money, I bought it for the quality of the trees and the unique trees that can be made. I just got Uni so I can better populate my forest with FV quality trees. With the prices lowered, it is more than worth it, you get a ton of trees, plants, I requested broken trunks and branches and he added them in the last update, and grasses, plants and flowers, very nice and a great deal compared to other plant packages I've purchased.

I don't say this unless I really believe in something, but as an artist, these are the best for the price, hands down!

Attached Files:

Willbkool_FPCS and mcbauer like this.
  20. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Many thanks indeed @dsilverthorn That all makes sense. Would be interested in how you get on with FV-Uni after a few days of use. I think, like you, I'm very much drawn to the customisability of these trees - actually having the ability to make them look different to the usual SpeedTrees, which are just too perfect and standardised for me, without having to spend too much time in Maya.

@mcbauer I hope you give this man a commission on all sales :D
    - getting these game-ready is still a concern for me, so would still be interested in whether you have plans to work on some optimisation tools (beyond the current mesh combine)

dsilverthorn and mcbauer like this.
  21. mcbauer

mcbauer

dsilverthorn likes this.
  22. mcbauer

mcbauer

I've stopped messing with the texture atlas project for the time being. I need to get back to my game development!

23. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

I hear ya, and I totally understand. Let's hope you get back to it some day soon. All the best with the game.

mcbauer and dsilverthorn like this.
  24. mcbauer

mcbauer

Honestly, I like the idea of keeping the price low on FV now. Going back into that kind of development for this package would make me raise the price again

StevenPicard and dsilverthorn like this.
  25. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

So any other words, buy it now! ;)

I really like the look of this asset. I can't believe I haven't seen it before, although I've only been using Unity since June.

mcbauer likes this.
  26. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

upload_2018-10-2_21-59-23.jpeg
    This picture is using both Forest Vision and FV Uni trees. The large limbs are FV, the small tree growth is from FV Uni.
    Atmosphere is from Weather Maker
    All plants are placed using Vegetation Studio.
    The scene is a ways from complete but this can give you a flavor of it.
    Really nice variety on the Uni trees and plants. I am using a modified tree from Uni, the brown bark tree and the other is a very tall tree from FV.

Great value on the products!
    @mcbauer Thanks for creating the packages, hope your game is going well. They do work well together.

27. mcbauer

mcbauer

Thanks bud!

As far as my development goes, I'm struggling to find a networking solution for my multiplayer. Trying a third one now

28. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I wish you luck in finding a working solution.

mcbauer likes this.
  29. BlankDeed

BlankDeed

Some, or all, of some of the asset are coming up pink. I didn't see it anywhere, but do I need to use a different pipeline? I assume it's the branch shader, example pic included, I haven't really messed with any settings.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  30. mcbauer

mcbauer

What version unity?

31. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I've had something similar happen, I was using the tree from Forest Vision lite and it looked great, so I bought the FV Uni asset, and after adding it to my project, all of the leaves on the lite tree went pink. I tried adding the leaves back, but it never looked the same. I'm using 2018.2.8f1 and I'm a noob.;)

I just deleted it, but the trees and bushes and everything in the Uni pack look great.

32. BlankDeed

BlankDeed

Of course, sorry. I started off on version 2018.2.9f1 with the issue, then I upgraded to the current 2018.2.11f1. Sorta kinda like the gentleman above me, downloaded the free version and loved it with absolutely zero issues, then this version was pink.

Oh, I dunno if it helps anything, but after I upgraded I tried both old and new/empty scenes, but to no avail, as well as re downloading the asset. I also tried a new scene with both the new LDRP and HDRP, didn't really change anything regarding to the package.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  33. mcbauer

mcbauer

I assume you have the required substance plugin installed as well?

34. mcbauer

mcbauer

FYI, FV Lite isnt using any substances

35. BlankDeed

BlankDeed

I had forgotten to actually import it. Derp. Thanks a lot, lol.

mcbauer likes this.
  36. mcbauer

mcbauer

No worries!

37. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I'm running into a problem now that I've updated Substance recently. I keep getting an error message that says:

No matter how many times that I reimport it, it keeps giving this message and I have to press OK ten times whenever I start my project and/or go into play mode. I'm sure this has nothing to do with Forest Vision, but it's really a bummer to have to remove FV. And Substance keeps reloading itself into my project and the error messages continue. I've asked on the Substance forum, but alas no replies as of yet.

I've seen a Substance to Materials converter, would this work with FV, and keep me from having to use Substance?

38. mcbauer

mcbauer

You're running 2017? Then you dont need the Substance plugin, thats only for 2018 and up

39. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I'm using 2018.2.8f1, that's why the error message threw me off. I believe Substance updated on the 4th of this month, probably something to do with the update.

/Edit I've checked an older project and Substance is working right, so it must be the last update that they did. Now to see if I can find the older version for my new project. I really want to use FV trees.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    dsilverthorn likes this.
  40. mcbauer

mcbauer

Yeah I dont know what is going on. This is the 3rd time they've broken my substances. I guess I'm going to have to stop supporting it. This is just too unreliable.

You can still use the FV trees however, you will just have to assign new materials for whatever shows up pink ( which means unity cant find the material) everything else should be fine. Sorry about this. I just tested this for someone else a month or so ago and everything was fine.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  41. mcbauer

mcbauer

I know Substance works correctly in 2017 and all of FV.

42. mcbauer

mcbauer

43. mcbauer

mcbauer

Ok so I just checked and the new steps work.

You will need to follow these steps to update:

1. BACK UP YOUR PROJECT.
    2. Open your Unity project folder and delete the Plugins folder and Plugins.meta file.
    NOTE - If your Plugins folder contains other plugins, then the files that need to be deleted are:

Substance (folder)
    Substance.Engine.bundle (folder)
    libsubstance_sse2_blend.bundle
    libsubstance_sse2_blend.bundle.meta
    Substance.Engine.bundle.meta
    Substance.Engine.dll
    Substance.Engine.dll.meta
    Substance.Game.dll
    Substance.Game.dll.meta
    Substance.meta
    substance_sse2_blend.dll
    substance_sse2_blend.dll.meta

3. Load the project in Unity 2018.
    4. Import the new Substance plugin (2.1.0) from the Asset Store.

You will have to reset the foliage substances to Cutout in the shader, but it all looks to be correct now.

Willbkool_FPCS and dsilverthorn like this.
  44. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

Hello, before purchasing I have made a few tests with the lite package and found a few issues/questions that I wonder if are solved in pro, seeing how the lite package is older.

1) when I try to add the sample tree to the terrain painting tool, the Z axis is incorrect, appears horizontal.
    2) when I place it on terrain all I get is the trunk, not the branches
    3) the sample tree comes with no collider, I assume this is configurable in pro? all I need is a capsule for the trunk.
    4) no LOD, is this different in pro?

And a final question, will I be able to specify a different layer for the trunk and for the branches? This is rather important to me.

45. mcbauer

mcbauer

All of those issues are gone in the latest version. You remind me that I probably should update the lite version since I haven't touched it since I released it.

The only thing I don't do is lod. Simply because ultimately your trees are up to you. You can make a tree with a billion polygons if you want, and you control how you lod that tree. Just like you can add whatever collided you see fit.

You can set layers to meet your needs for all the assets.

Hope this helps.

46. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

I'm glad to hear, thanks. Yeah I suggest you update it.

What about the Forestvision-uni trees, do those include LOD?

47. mcbauer

mcbauer

FV Uni are all unity trees so they will LOD automatically when painted on a terrain.

dsilverthorn likes this.