Search Unity

ForestVision [ Artist Essentials Product ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mcbauer, May 13, 2016.

1. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi Mc,

two things concern me:
    1. All of your screenshots and videos only shows broadleaf trees. I'm just wondering if Forrest Vision also contains conifers.
    2. I'm currently considering whether FV could be the right one for me. It seems, you provide us with different types of vegetation, such as trees, stumps ,bushes, mushrooms, foliage. What about some ground textures, some stones and some other "things to fill the scene"? Is - or will - FV be expanded to a full "forrest creation set"?
    Yesterday, I watched an interesting video on Youtube: "Create a forrest in UE4". Link:
    . I'm very impressed of the result. This forrest looks great. Would you say, that you can make a similar forrest with FV?

If yes: Could you provide a demo video, please?
    If no: What's missing?

2. mcbauer

mcbauer

1) Yes FV contains conifers.
    2) FV contains a great many selections of vegetation to use. As shown on page 1 of this forum, I supply grasses, vines, flowers and as mentioned on my product page, 86 Foliage textures, 54 Bark textures and 28 Ground textures included. I now have Substances as well. I admit I don't have stumps showing where trees have been cut down, I'll work on adding those in.

And to answer your question, yes FV can produce that example no problem. Your real issue is going to be finding the best environmental effects to generate the atmosphere. FV doesn't handle any of that.

I'll work on getting a demo video, I just moved again and I'm still trying to get my workstation setup.

nirvanajie likes this.
  3. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi Mc,
    okay.
    Suggestion: crushed trees AND crush stumps
    Yes... I need additional assets for weather, fog and so on. That's already clear.
    Okay, I'm eager to view it. ;)
    And, please: Tell us what other assets you use.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. mcbauer

mcbauer

Time of Day, Gaia are my go to's for quick scene setups. then its just a matter of finding the right post efx.

5. mcbauer

mcbauer

I was just notified of FV having major crash issues. Not sure yet what version of Unity the user is using, but they seem to not be able to do anything without FV bringing Unity down.

Is anyone else having any issues?

I personally haven't messed with any of the latest Unity updates since they moved to .2017 versioning. I will begin downloading the updates tonight and verifying myself, as well as putting together some new material for the next update, but I just wanted to reach out to you to see if you are experiencing anything I need to be aware of.

Thanks!

6. mcbauer

mcbauer

I have tested FV with the latest version of Unity as of today, and I personally am not having or seeing any issues.

7. mcbauer

mcbauer

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Just an update on FV.

Working on an update with some new trees, stumps, and fallen, as well as more substances and misc models . I'm also working on including some actual example scenes that highlight the assets better. Keep in mind I will have to use Unity out of the box and not include those 3rd party packages, but I will let you know which ones I use for the example shots I use to promote it.

nirvanajie likes this.
  8. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

The Post process stack is excellent for show casing plus i highly recommend the free volumetric light asset. These two free assets can really bring the outdoors to life.

You really don't need any paid assets unless you want to shave few cpu/gpu cycles.

lightwaterjohn and mcbauer like this.
  9. mcbauer

mcbauer

Thanks for the info good sir! I've been out of the loop for a while learning other languages, so its good to know where the solid free stuff is these days. I wish Unity would just get it together and release their own solutions built into the engine. They really are behind Unreal in that regard.

10. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

One more, the great (but a it heavy) SEGI is now free and open source. Another great lighting asset for showing off your assets.

mcbauer likes this.
  11. mcbauer

mcbauer

12. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

13. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Has anyone had luck using the trees with Gena (for spawning?) I just bought this two days ago and tried the trees that come with it (I wanted to check them out in a scene before I started creating my own) but the trees often end up horizontal in the air rather than vertical on the ground. I have not had this issue with any other tree or asset, so it is weird.

14. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

I've had that issue before with gena is there colliders on the trees or on the area you are spawning on with gena?

15. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm spawning on a terrain and tried other trees without colliders and they seemed fine. I'll try adding colliders and see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know how that goes.

16. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I really like the look of this asset!
    Before I purchase, I was wondering how it works with the new Vegetation Studio?

17. mcbauer

mcbauer

I haven't messed with Veg Studio yet.

18. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi.

I did some testing the other day. The optimized trees seemed to work good.

Lennart

lightwaterjohn, mattis89 and mcbauer like this.
  19. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks guys!

I have this on my wishlist. :)

20. mattis89

mattis89

Hey! How are this asset together with Vegetation Studio?

21. Redrag

Redrag

Hi - does this work with Global Fog? Also, does it have billboards?

22. mcbauer

mcbauer

Yes it works with Global Fog, and Billboarding occurs when using Unity Terrain.

23. mattis89

mattis89

Liner support? Deffered / forward? :)

24. mcbauer

mcbauer

I've never seen any issues with any of them. :)

mattis89 likes this.
  25. mattis89

mattis89

Does your Tree/Foliage shader support Vegetation Studios Instance Indirect technique?

Edit: Why does the bark texture look so stretch and "cheap" on the optimized? And I get the same results when I try to make my own tree and change the material?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  26. mcbauer

mcbauer

I'm working with Veg Studios creator to add further compatibility, but at this time he has said that the optimized trees work fine.

The optimized trees have been crunched down to a single mesh and a single texture. I used a 3rd party app to handle the optimization ( texture atlasing) per the request of some of my users. Keep in mind the optimized trees are meant for mass placement where close up details are irrelevant.

I don't understand why you would get the same results making your own. I currently offer the tools to bake multiple meshes down to one, but the materials are kept which means that you can tile them and adjust them as you see fit.

Flurgle likes this.
  27. mcbauer

mcbauer

Curious as to any feature requests for FV? What is something you think would make your lives easier/better with FV?

28. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi Mc,

could you create a demo level, to show what's possible? You should - for nature environment - of course, only use FV assets. Other 3rd party assets should commented. This would be great and should push FV.

29. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I love the trees and have started using them with Veg Studio.
    With that in mind, more and better integration with VS would be great.

Other than that, any additional branches for ground debris. I would like to have more options to add broken limbs and stumps.

Keep up the great work and don't give up on us. We always like it when you can add more to the asset.

30. Artomiano

Artomiano

I miss crushed/broken stumps and branches.

31. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Exactly, the broken ones from fallen trees, not the saw cut. And branches on the ground. :)

StevenPicard and AndyNeoman like this.
  32. mcbauer

mcbauer

sounds good thanks guys! Added to the list!

StevenPicard and dsilverthorn like this.
  33. Artomiano

Artomiano

We still wait for your demo video... :rolleyes:

34. mcbauer

mcbauer

Sorry for disappointing. Things have been very busy on this end, getting my 2nd Masters, teaching Game Design on the side, as well as developing my own game. I haven't forgotten about FV my free time just is very stretched thin these days.

35. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi Mc,

is not that bad. I know the problem of too less time. Btw.: your game?! Any information? Website? ;)

mcbauer likes this.
  36. mcbauer

mcbauer

Well I'm trying to get my kids into programming and game design--shocker I know--so I'm actually working with them ( 9 and 6 yrs ) to create a multi player game they can play together. Then, once it gets to a good place my hope is to actually release it. This is my humble start at my own game company. I have plenty of ideas, just need to actually start them, which is what I'm finally getting around to doing.

I do plan on running a build journal which I'll host on my website somewhere as I progress. First screens might be up by this weekend if all goes well.

37. mcbauer

mcbauer

UPDATE COMING

Been working on getting out an update for FV. Here's what's in the works:
    • Mobile versions of all shipped trees
    • Seasonal versions of all trees
    • New ForestVision Foliage Creator
      • Using one of the several Branch mask images I provide, select a leaf, and create a new Branch texture
      • Complete with Seasonal controls
    • Fallen / Dead trees
    • Stumps
    • More trees!

Also working on my new product RockVision, more details to follow...

38. mcbauer

mcbauer

Oh and I will be adding more workflow videos and 5 Demo scenes!

Artomiano likes this.
  39. mcbauer

mcbauer

What integration issues are you having with Veg Studio @dsilverthorn ?

40. Artomiano

Artomiano

Sounds interesting. Best time for a discount promotion. :D

mcbauer likes this.
  41. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

veg studio has a ton of tweaks that can be done.
    It is rather involved as to how much can be done with it, but I don’t remember exactly what I was referring too. I had my video card burn up last month so I’m waiting for a replacement and only have slight functionality right now using an old card, so I’ve had to shift my focus to other areas.

Mostly, I was just encouraging you from your comment, “I'm working with Veg Studios creator to add further compatibility”.

Once I’m back up running full speed again I can give you more details.

Looking forward to the new update!!!

mcbauer likes this.
  42. mcbauer

mcbauer

This update is probably going to roll out in two or three phases. There is alot I want to get done, so I can get back to working on my game, but I do want to get the updates out as soon as possible. The first update will probably get pushed up this weekend.

Veg Studio integration will continue as I make changes to the baseline product.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  43. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Looking forward to it!

Keep em coming!
    :)

mcbauer likes this.
  44. mcbauer

mcbauer

shot1.png Demo Scene 1 complete. Only thing not coming with it is Time of Day, which is my go-to for atmosphere, so there will be a difference when the scene is opened. I also am using Unity's Post processing, but that should be straightforward to setup.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Artomiano and dsilverthorn like this.
  45. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Looking forward to trying it.
    Picture looks beautiful!

mcbauer likes this.
  46. mcbauer

mcbauer

Shot2.jpg
    Demo Scene 2. Again, using Post processing, and Time of Day.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  47. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Wow! Great work!

mcbauer likes this.
  48. mcbauer

mcbauer

Last demo scene. Time to package it up. sHOT3.jpg

dsilverthorn likes this.
  49. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Can’t wait!

You have a great eye for the art of the forest!

Looking forward to seeing it on my machine ;)

mcbauer likes this.
  50. mcbauer

mcbauer

Thanks! I think I'm going to do one more and then be done. I've actually gotten a lot into this update so this will be the last one for a while so I want to make sure I get in everything on my list.

dsilverthorn likes this.