Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

ForestVision [ Artist Essentials Product ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mcbauer, May 13, 2016.

1. mcbauer

mcbauer

Here is a video which lets you see the Branch animation effect a little better.

2. mcbauer

mcbauer

yes, you just need to access my FV_WindZone.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(GameObject.Find("FV_WindZone") != null){
    2.             levelWindFrequency = GameObject.Find("FV_WindZone").GetComponent<FV_Wind>().Wind_Intensity;
    3.             Angle_Multipler = GameObject.Find("FV_WindZone").GetComponent<FV_Wind>().Angle_Multipler;
    4.             Period_Multipler = GameObject.Find("FV_WindZone").GetComponent<FV_Wind>().Shake_Distance;
    5. }

Ony likes this.
  3. Shawn67

Shawn67

Ok.. So I hate to throw a wrench into things here, and hopefully I'm worried over nothing, but what about using ForestVision combined with other trees and grasses which use the normal Unity Wind Zones? Normally developers use a variety of assets from a variety of sources. I'm kind of worried that instead of using the normal wind system, ForestVision is using a custom system that may make everything non-ForestVision, out of place. Will either ForestVision be able to use a normal Unity Wind Zone or have your tried your custom Wind Zone with non-ForestVision trees and grasses?

I would think with so many different types of assets working off of the wind zones, adding a new one might be problematic as far as syncing things up to look the same. I'm curious to see how it works with weather systems, for instance. I'll play around with it trying it along side some different trees and grasses from other publishers along with weather systems and let you know how it works out blending ForestVision with othere assets.

At any rate, great job bringing things to life! Hopefully my concerns turn out to be a non-issue. :) Just trying to think outside the box, so to speak... heheh

Ony likes this.
  4. mcbauer

mcbauer

I did what I could as fast as possible to get wind in and working. I have not had much luck finding material on how to use the base unity wind zone with what I was trying to achieve.

For example, no clue on how to get the directional parameter to influence what I'm doing.

I will continue to develop this system, and keep everyone updated.

Easy fixes would be to have base unity wind zone also drive macro parameters on my wind, but getting into the specifics will take some time. Unless you have some advice on it?

In regards to having it work with other systems, it will not work with them out of the gate as I did not design it with that intention. I'm sure once I learn how to better tap into the unity wind zone, instead of using mine, things will be fine.

Thanks for the perspective though. It's always good to know what the next step needs to be.

Ony and Shawn67 like this.
  5. Shawn67

Shawn67

No worries.. :) What you have done so far is great! I guess I just have bad habit of playing devil's advocate. :p

Like I said, once update hits I'll try to test these scenarios and provide feedback. Hopefully it is a non-issue. But if not, I'll be happy to work with you however I can to help find solutions to make sure everything plays nice together. :)

If I run across any info on the unity wind zone, I'll be sure to throw it your way. :)

mcbauer likes this.
  6. mcbauer

mcbauer

i appreciate it, i spent half the week on the shader, then the rest getting the branch animations in. I'd love to be able to tie in native wind solution somehow. Sure would make my life easier.

7. Shawn67

Shawn67

From the look of the videos, you did awesome work!

mcbauer likes this.
  8. mcbauer

mcbauer

ForestVision 1.2 is live!

New Shader, Branch Animator as well as more textures and prefabs!

IFL likes this.
  9. mcbauer

mcbauer

Fixing to release a free Lite version, as well as selling the branch animator, and giving away the ForestVision shader for free.

Ony likes this.
  10. mcbauer

mcbauer

Attached is a PDF I created to help walk you through basic work flow on how to create your own tree. Hopefully you find this helpful.

Attached Files:

Shawn67 likes this.
  11. mcbauer

mcbauer

Just wanted to show an update of what I'm working on for the next update. Of course this follows the same ForestVision principle of modular design so you can alter and tweak to your own needs.

Attached Files:

Shawn67 and IFL like this.
  12. mcbauer

mcbauer

and another

Attached Files:

Shawn67 and IFL like this.
  13. mcbauer

mcbauer

NOTE: 1.2 uploaded with a ton of missing mesh assignments. I've fixed and pushed up 1.25, should be live anytime now

14. robymv

robymv

Hi Mcbauer, congratulations for the package .
    I miss some mesh , like the cypress.

15. mcbauer

mcbauer

Please update to the latest version and let me know if you still have this issue.

16. robymv

robymv

Done! It works perfectly, thanks a lot. :)

mcbauer likes this.
  17. mcbauer

mcbauer

This week I created a Trunk Shader. Pretty happy with it if I do say so myself.

It has your Base texture + Normal + Detail.

The features I added were 3 other color slots, for the Top/Bottom/Side development. Each with a texture channel multiplied by its color. The textures are multiplied onto the base texture like a detail map rather than a mask. Each channel also has directional controls, so while they start out as top, bottom and side, they do not have to stay that way.

There are also level and depth sliders for each to control how each channel is applied.

I will continue to develop this tool as well, but I definitely think it makes a really nice addition to the package. Hopefully you will agree with me!

TrunkShader2.JPG

TrunkShader1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Ony, Shawn67 and IFL like this.
  18. mcbauer

mcbauer

Here you can see each color channel (driven by a world position) on its own.

Top Channel

JustTop.JPG
    Side (Moss) Channel

JustSide.JPG

Bottom Channel

JustBottom.JPG

Again, each channel has been exaggerated to show the effect.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Ony, Shawn67, IFL and 1 other person like this.
  19. mcbauer

mcbauer

Uploading this update tonight.

IFL likes this.
  20. IFL

IFL

@mcbauer - You're awesome, keep it up.

21. mcbauer

mcbauer

Haha, thank you good sir. Not sure about "awesome" but I appreciate the gesture.

22. mcbauer

mcbauer

IFL likes this.
  23. Carve_Online

Carve_Online

What I would like to see is some type of automation to adjust a current tree to make a similar new tree. If I understand the system correctly, if I had a prefab, I would have to move all of the limbs individually. With Unities Tree Creator, I can just change the seed of the trunk and 2nd tier branches and it basically makes the tree look completely different, and it is very easy to do.

My problem, and maybe I am misunderstanding this. If you have 10 tree species, and want 3 life stages (sizes) of each tree and want 5 versions of each one, you are looking at 150 different trees. Now multiple that by moving 20 items on each tree. That is just a ton of items you have to place individually.

As an aside, I think it would help your sales to have a free version with maybe two limbs (different sizes) and one trunk and a prefab tree, just to see how the system works.

24. mcbauer

mcbauer

First off, thanks for the feedback, I always appreciate perspective.

Second, I'm putting together the free version right now.

Third, I've never suggested to replace, or better Unity's native tree system. If you want fast, procedural trees, that is absolutely the way to go. Speedtree is also perfectly capable of handling it as well. Forestvision is about having more control, as an artist, over the way "hero" trees can look. Being able to put together and create the perfect tree right inside of unity without being limited to interfaces, nodes, or procedures. Using both of the former systems extensively, I found myself always needing something neither could provide. With Speedtree it was floating branches, with Unity's trees it was the procedural system itself. I would spend hours trying to generate a particular look, when by just using my kit, I could have made it in 10 minutes.

With ForestVision, I give you a plethora of assets that you can use to create exactly the kind of tree you envision.

Fourth, if you desire to populate your scene with "10 tree species, and want 3 life stages (sizes) of each tree and want 5 versions of each one", you're going to spend plenty of time in some program, creating all those assets regardless. Again, I'm not suggesting that this is a replacement for the rapid development of trees like ST, or Unity's tree system. It's just that I have been in the midst of designing a scene and both of those products have left me without the ability to create exactly what I was looking for--without having to go into Max to make something special. Then I thought to myself, well this is fine for me, but what about the person that doesn't have Max, or even the knowledge yet to go into a 3d software package to create what they wanted?

Fifth, what I'm trying to do is generate a deep library of trees that you have right away at your disposal. From here, you can tweak to your hearts content. I feel I'm doing pretty good so far with the library, every update I add more and more.

Finally, I am still developing this product. I am working on more procedural methods of adjusting the trees, and I will eventually get to certain level of pseudo automation. I'm not trying to replace Speedtree or Unity trees, just supplement where I feel they are lacking.

Hopefully when I release the free version, you will give me your honest opinion on whether or not you see this approach as useful or not.

IFL likes this.
  25. Carve_Online

Carve_Online

Thank you for the reply. I agree completely that your system looks much better than the Unity Trees which is why I am considering switching over. I am not suggesting you need to have all of the procedural features of unity trees, but I was able to take 20 basic trees ( 10 species young, 10 species mature) and turn them into 150 different trees in only a few hours.

I wish you success, and I will certainly take the trial version for a spin.

mcbauer likes this.
  26. mcbauer

mcbauer

I do have, what I consider to be cool, things in mind to develop for this product. I'll eventually get to them all. :)

Ony likes this.
  27. inexus8

inexus8

Hi,
    Would it be possible to use your trees with TerrainComposer?

28. mcbauer

mcbauer

I don't see why not.

I will investigate it myself, but the trees ultimately are just prefabs, so any system that can use prefabs should have no issue with these trees.

29. mcbauer

mcbauer

30. mcbauer

mcbauer

Ony likes this.
  31. DallasOnFire

DallasOnFire

Hello, is there any webplayer where I can test the shader and have a look to the enviroment?

32. mcbauer

mcbauer

Not at the moment.

33. DallasOnFire

DallasOnFire

And do you have an idea for when?

34. mcbauer

mcbauer

which shader are you looking for? The Trunk Shader?

Right now I am working on updates to it, and don't have any plans to release one at the moment. I will add it to my list of things to do.

35. mcbauer

mcbauer

Now that summer is in full bloom, I will be going back out to get new foliage and trunk textures, to make more assets! Would love to see some pics of scenes you have made with ForestVision, anyone have some they can post here?

36. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

I think this will be next on my list, beautiful images.

37. broesby

broesby

Thx for this asset - being a lover of trees I really think this is fantastic... :)

I love the idea of modularity which gives creative freedom to achieve some of the variation that real nature has.
    Of course for many purposes tradeoffs will have to be made for performance ;)

A couple of suggestions....

1) What about substance support - that would take the "modular/variations" aspect of the asset one step further and give us the ability for endless variations also on the texture side + it could better performance as well :)

2) Would it be possible to make some kind of "blueprint" system for the trees etc. I am thinking something like what 3dForge has for his Village Interior/Exterior kits..... And you could perhaps take it one step further... What if all users of the asset could share their creations as blueprints/prefabs.... Soon we would have not 20 but 200 prefabs to choose from :D + it would get all of us to love your asset even more because we contributed to it ;) This forum would full of pretty pictures of user creations - that all who own the assets can use...

Best wishes, Jesper

IFL likes this.
  38. mcbauer

mcbauer

First off, thank you for your support.

Second, yes I agree with you 100% about both of your suggestions.

I am working on substances and will have some very soon to be released in an upcoming package.

In regards to a blueprint system, I love the idea, but that is going to take some work. I will definitely add it to my list of things to investigate.

Right now I'm working on creating one shader for both trees and leaves, so that I can finally start sending out some Meshbaked trees with very low draw calls.

I think the idea of people being able to easily share prefabs is wonderful and something I hoped would catch on. I really wouldn't mind if you sold your package of custom made trees either. All you would need to sell is the Prefabs themselves. That way there would be no license infringement. If the person buying the package doesn't have FV, they will open up a bunch of empty trees.

Make them free, make them for purchase, I'd leave that up to you guys.

IFL likes this.
  39. mcbauer

mcbauer

Another update I am working on is a group of controls to make customizing your trees a little easier. Say for example, you add a prefab into your scene, and making a copy, you'd like to make a quick adjustment to the copy that would make it a completely different tree, not just a rotated version of the original.

What I'm working on is a control that will allow you to pick on any branch, and then cycle through the current library of branches until you find what you are looking for. I will also take into consideration differences in materials, so if your current tree consists of x trunk and x leaves, but you are cycling to a branch that has y trunk and y leaves, the controller will automatically update the branch to the current material setup. This will also be a bool state that you could set.

IFL likes this.
  40. mcbauer

mcbauer

Also going to work on adding in a bit more of a randomizer.

41. mcbauer

mcbauer

if you have ideas of functionality, or any more types of vegetation you'd like to see, let me know!

42. IFL

IFL

I'm looking forward to that randomizer. It'd also be nice to have a system similar to Unity's old tree-creator script. Random angles/placements of branches and leaves... That might make it too easy though
    Here's a few quick shots. I'm trying out instancing with LOD... just ignore the quality of everything that isn't a tree/grass.

FV_GSSG_01.jpg
    FV_GSSG_02.jpg
    FV_GSSG_03.jpg

43. mcbauer

mcbauer

wow, those shots look great! Thank you for sharing!

When I push up this next update, I will be including some meshbaked versions of all of my main trees, so your setpass calls will drop radically.

My randomizer will have essentially 2 modes, random position, rotation and sale, and then random mesh. Combining them both will produce some interesting results I'm sure.

I will let you know on here when I get them done and pushed up.

Thanks again for sharing! Keep 'em coming!

IFL and kerrmedia like this.
  44. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

If I were to buy this great looking asset now, would I be able to get the upgrade to the new version you are working on?

45. mcbauer

mcbauer

Absolutely. As soon as the update goes live, you will get a notification to download the update

46. mcbauer

mcbauer

@IFL how do you like the foliage and trunk shader? Do you like the movements and control of the branch animator?

47. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Just purchased, love great looking trees....

mcbauer likes this.
  48. mcbauer

mcbauer

thank you @kerrmedia I appreciate the support. Suggestions are always welcome. I strive to make sure that I can deliver as complete of a solution as possible. I love trees. :)

49. mcbauer

mcbauer

Just wanted to also throw out some ideas I have for new products that I will be releasing at some point.

RockVision.

Same modular concept with my trees, but taken a new direction where you can construct any kind of rock, mountain, cliff wall, etc desired.

CloudVision.

Again same modular concept, but with actual models of clouds that can be combined to create epic scenes.

TomTumbler likes this.
  50. IFL

IFL

To be completely honest, I'm not currently using your shaders. :oops: I almost always create my own to fit the limitations that I work within (mobile/vr, stylized, scene effects, etc). But since you asked, I've looked at them, and...
    Th
    ey look great! The trunk shader is superb. It looks much better than the shader that I created for tree trunks. The functionality is cool. The foliage shader is good. It could benefit from some cheap, fake subsurface-scattering and soft-edge blending, but everything else is good. I completely forgot about doing some Shader Forge stuff for you - I'll see what I can come up with.

Semi-related: I noticed that lowering the alpha-cutoff on several of the bulk leaves and bundles improves the look by a lot. Twigs become visible, which is neat.

For most games, clouds only need the appearance of depth. Actually rendering a sky full of them would be intense, especially if they're moving and even with every performance trick that I can think of. It'd be awesome if you could pull it off. I like the idea of RockVision. That said, I haven't really played a game and thought much about the rocks. :)