Search Unity

Forcing a character to fall through a platform

Discussion in '2D' started by nunesbarbosa, Jan 11, 2014.

1. nunesbarbosa

nunesbarbosa

Hi. I'm using Unity 4.3 with Physics 2D and I want to make the character fall down a platform when I press the down key, something like most platform games when you press down and jump.

My character have two colliders (circle and box) just like the Unity platform demo I can't figure how to make him fall.. I already tried the following without success:

1. Enabling the platform collider IsTrigger but everything falls along with the player;
    2. Enabling IsTrigger on the character collider: I can't because I can only access one of the colliders;
    3. Force moving the position.y of the character: It messes with the gravity Physics. It's a dirty solution;
    4. Moving the character to a different position on the Z axis don't work either because it makes no difference to Unity 2D engine.

I searched a lot on the forums, but I can't find a simple solution and this is driving me crazy! Can anyone help me?

2. unitylover

unitylover

You could temporarily disable the collider on either the player or the platform, making sure yougivethe player enough time to fall.

3. nunesbarbosa

nunesbarbosa

That's attempt #1 and #2.

If I disable the collider on the platform everything falls along with the player like nearby enemies (which also uses Physics2D).

I can disable only one collider on the player because I have two colliders (circle and box) and Unity doesn't give me an option to select an array of colliders from MonoBehavior. :(

4. msbranin

msbranin

Could you put the 2 player colliders in an empty game object attached to the player character then just disable the parent obeject of the colliders temporarily?

5. unitylover

unitylover

How to access both colliders on one object:

Code (csharp):
    2. BoxCollider2D boxCol = GetComponent<BoxCollider2D>();
    3. CircleCollider2D cirCol = GetComponent<CircleCollider2D)();
    Once you have a reference to both you can disable them both.

6. nunesbarbosa

nunesbarbosa

Yes, that worked! I was treating colliders as monobehavior attributes insted of script components.. If anyone stumble at this post, here is my solution:

Code (csharp):
    1.     void Start () {
    2.         boxCollider = GetComponent<BoxCollider2D>();
    3.         circleCollider = GetComponent<CircleCollider2D>();
    4.     }
    6.     void Update() {
    7.         down = Physics2D.Linecast(transform.position, groundCheck.position, 1 << LayerMask.NameToLayer("Hole"));
    9.         // Disables the player collider temporarily
    10.         if(Input.GetKey("s")  down) {
    11.             StartCoroutine("Fall");
    12.         }
    13.     }
    15.     // Makes the character fall by disabling then enabling the collider
    16.     private IEnumerator Fall() {
    17.         boxCollider.isTrigger = true;
    18.         circleCollider.isTrigger = true;
    19.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.2f);
    20.         boxCollider.isTrigger = false;
    21.         circleCollider.isTrigger = false;
    22.     }

7. Rutenis

Rutenis

Is it 2d? If it is, use plane you can go threw him like invisible wall.

8. unitylover

unitylover

Thanks for posting your success and how you ended up using it. This is something that many people can use in their own projects.

9. dilmerval

dilmerval

Thanks for posting it, I'm working in a game right now and will more likely use your method :), could you explain to me why the need of this line?

Code (csharp):
    3. down = Physics2D.Linecast(transform.position, groundCheck.position, 1 << LayerMask.NameToLayer("Hole"));

10. dilmerval

dilmerval

11. unitylover

unitylover

It's chexking to see that his player is standing on an object that is on the hole layer. He has probably has a gameobject attached to his player that is directly below him that acts as a "ground checker".

12. dilmerval

dilmerval

Awesome @nunesbarbosa just added it to my game looks and works great thanks for sharing...

13. dilmerval

dilmerval

@nunesbarbosa in case you need it, I came up with another script to be able to jump through platforms :)

Code (csharp):
    2. Physics2D.IgnoreLayerCollision(LayerMask.NameToLayer("Player"),
    3.                                        LayerMask.NameToLayer("AirFloor"),
    4.                                        !groundHit || rigidbody2D.velocity.y > 0
    5.                                        );

aminovsky likes this.