Search Unity

ForceText asset serialization problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by crdmrn, Oct 21, 2018.

1. crdmrn

crdmrn

I have no idea why and I've never seen before, but in the project I'm working on some assets (even of the same kind, like unity scenes) are serialized as text and some others as binary without a reason, as the project asset serialization was set to ForceText from the very beginning.
    Any idea on why this happens and/or how to fix this?

Tried to switch from ForceText to Binary and back to see if this would trigger a reimport, but now the EditorSettings are set to ForceText while the assets are all on binary :S

EDIT: as I've been asked which version control software I'm using; it's git, with SourceTree GUI. :D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. crdmrn

crdmrn

Up.

I'm sorry to be bumping this, but I found several bug reports on this happening in older versions of the editor as well, so I guess it's a more widespread problem than just one person. The fact that it only makes a difference when using unity with version control doesn't make it less important :D

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm curious if your version control system sets files to read only that you don't have checked out, preventing Unity from changing those files still in binary when it tried to.

4. crdmrn

crdmrn

I don't really understand what you mean.
    I've been using git with unity for several years and never witnessed this behavior.
    Also, as I said, the project is set to force text serialization since the beginning and such setting was never changed; some of the scenes are actually serialized as text, making this behavior even more wierd.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Some version control systems or settings of them require that the developer check out any files they intend on modifying ahead of time from version control, and on the developer's computer any files not checked out for editing are automatically set as read only in the file system. Before I wrote my comment you hadn't mentioned what version control system you were using.

6. crdmrn

crdmrn

I'm using git and SorceTree, but as I said, some scenes are serialized as text and some others as binary, and I never changed any settings whether in Unity nor in git :S

7. crdmrn

crdmrn

Up again, I know this is annoying, but I'd really appreciate some feedback from moderators ^^"

8. crdmrn

crdmrn

Isn't there really anyone able to help us out on this?