Search Unity

Force Samsung S8 to use Daydream, not Gear VR

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Percy-Pea, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Percy-Pea

Percy-Pea

Does anyone know a way to force the S8 to run a Unity app via Daydream, and not Gear VR?

In player settings I only have Daydream as a potential VR option.

The reason Gear VR is kicking in when the app is run is because we use the Oculus SDK in the project so that we can use Rift headsets and controllers to make immediate tests in the editor.

The only way I've been able to get the S8 to run in Daydream mode is if I completely remove all Oculus SDK stuff from the project, but this isn't ideal as we need it back in when working in the editor

In an ideal world, simply not having Gear VR as an option in player settings should make sure it doesn't kick in :(

WendelinReich likes this.
  2. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Yeah I also need this option. There are now assets available that support cross-platfrom Daydream/Gear VR functionality (e.g. the controller), so having both SDKs side-by-side in the project is now a must for us.

3. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

@Percy-Pea (without seeing your project) The Oculus SDK may have a manifest file that is being merged in automagically by our Android build system. Can you check to see if that is the case and then remove the AndroidManifest.Xml file (or any AAR/JAR that might also be part of the SDK)? You should also watch out for the menu item they provide under Tools/Oculus/Create store-compatible AndroidManifest.xml as that would re-create the manifest file.

@WendlinReich When you target Gear VR/Oculus, there is a required manifest entry that is injected into your APK. This manifest entry causes the device to IMMEDIATELY drop into the Gear VR transition screen before the application is even run. This means that Unity is unable to do anything for this as we are not even running when this happens. This is a deep, system level issue that Unity can do nothing about at this time. Resolving that issue is something we are working with Samsung and Oculus on, but there isn't much we can do till they fix the issue own their end. The current recommendation is that you script your builds and generate separate APKs for each platform as there is really no other way to handle this at this time.

Even when that issue is resolved, there are still issues around code signing and packaging that make this an extremely difficult thing to maintain. In order to be supported in each store you will most likely have to generate separate APKs with separate signing properties and package names. This would still lead you to require some scripted/multi-APK build for your application even if you could support both SDKs int he same app at the same time.

4. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Thanks for the quick reply! FYI, I only meant side-by-side existence in the project, not generation of a single APK. There is no real point to having a single APK for both targets anyway as long as Samsung doesn't allow Daydream apps to be played via the Gear VR headset...

While you're talking to Samsung, could you convince them to allow VR apps to switch between VR and touchscreen? :)

5. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

That's actually what we are working with them on as that is also the solution that could potentially allow forced Daydream execution (if we can get over all the other hurdles).

6. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

THAT is great to hear. Mobile VR is still such a small and fragile platform, and VR/non-VR switching can make VR more attractive to traditional devs.

7. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

in my case i want too built vr app and non vr app but When i build the app open with grar vr(player setting vr off) in s8 But i found the solution when i buit for non vr then im doing this. sorry for my bad English.

Attached Files:

• aaa.PNG
      aaa.PNG
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
    dri_richard likes this.