Search Unity

Force Object to Require Asset

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BrodiMAN, Oct 12, 2018.

1. BrodiMAN

BrodiMAN

Hello all,

I'm wondering if there is a way, via script, to force an object to require a certain asset in the same way that you can force an object to require a component. Like so:

[RequireComponent (typeof(BoxCollider2D))]

Thanks

2. What asset, why and how? It's not clear what do you want to achieve with this. There are many type of assets and they are used many different ways and places.
    How would it be better than load up the asset from code? (requirecomponent has editor advantage)

BrodiMAN likes this.
  3. BrodiMAN

BrodiMAN

I'm playing with ScriptableObjects. I've created a ScriptableObject asset that will be used in numerous gameObjects all with their own scripts.

It's just a hassle to have to go through each object to manually add in the ScriptableObject in the editor. I was wondering (hoping) there was a way to force this behaviour through script.

4. No, there is nothing like that. The best bet if you straight out your naming convention, and start to create predictable scriptable object names, then you can automatically load up (from code) the corresponding SO.

BrodiMAN likes this.
  5. brownboot67

brownboot67

Definitely possible. Have your custom editor assign it when you add the component.

6. BrodiMAN

BrodiMAN

Custom Editor? What?

Please explain further.

7. brownboot67

brownboot67

BrodiMAN likes this.