Search Unity

Force letterboxing on iPhone X

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by HNKMaster, Apr 10, 2018.

1. HNKMaster

HNKMaster

I'm having issues with the notch and safe areas on iPhone X, mostly because our app was designed for Android and pre-X iPhone devices. I was reading old apps are letterboxed on X, but for some reason newer apps have to be designed with X beforehand. Is there a way to force letterboxing inside the safe area?

I'm using the last xCode version.

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

You could check with iOS.Device.generation if it is an iPhone X, but as you mentioned Android, there are a several Android phones coming with notches, so you will need other checks which I have no idea over.

Notches are a stupid idea.

3. Sailendu

Sailendu

There is no way to force letter-boxing if you build your app with Xcode 9 or newer. You can use black bars in the UI on both sides to make it look like letter-boxed. But I am not sure if Apple will approve that. Notches are the stupidest thing I've ever seen since smartphones came out.

User340 likes this.
  4. HNKMaster

HNKMaster

Welp, what a sad thing :(

I'm doing a system which is gonna resize the canvas based on which device is being run. As I don't have a iPhone X, what are the possible names to get with SystemInfo.deviceModel?

EDIT: After some researching, I found the possible names for iPhone X devices here: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Models#iPhone
    Now I'll wait for someone with an X for testing.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. Sailendu

Sailendu

You can use this to detect if the device is an iPhone X in Unity.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     if (UnityEngine.iOS.Device.generation == UnityEngine.iOS.DeviceGeneration.iPhoneX)
    2.     {
    3.         // Do iPhone X stuff here
    4.     }

6. totsboy

totsboy

I can test for you if you want.
    I had the same issue and what I did was basically the same as I already do on Android superwidescreen devices, I check the aspect ratio to see if it's wider than 16:9 and then add the letterbox.
    The problem with using iOS.DeviceGeneration.iPhoneX is that if/when apple releases another device with similar aspect ratio you will have to update the game again.

7. unity_L6xmfNFURMtf4Q

unity_L6xmfNFURMtf4Q

If you wanted to try it on an iphone x device and you dont have one , you can try using a simulator