Search Unity

Force Field 2.41 • Shield and impact shader. Mobile Ready!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by s7, Oct 2, 2014.

1. s7

s7

The newest interdictor class ship is here, and you're welcome to fly! Docking permission has been requested to settle in your brand-new hangar coming along in the Force Filed Update 2.4

Update 2.4 Has Arrived http://u3d.as/45S

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. s7

s7

Hey folks, just to give you a heads up on the Force Field version update 2.4 - It is now Live in the Asset Store.
    Head here to buy: http://u3d.as/45S

Any questions, comments, and feedback are welcomed on our forums: http://forum.forge3d.com

hopeful likes this.
  3. s7

s7

Known issues update

It has come to my attention that some of you might be affected by the error upon Force Field 2.4 import. There are several ways you can avoid and get pass that error. So if that's your case then head to our forum for the detailed answer. The necessary fixes will be applied immediately. Thank you for your understanding!

Summary:

Console error on package import: "Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scripts/CameraMotionBlur.cs(9,37): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostEffectsBase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?"

Solution:
    http://forum.forge3d.com/t/force-field-2-4-package-import-errors/37

4. s7

s7

Force Field 2.41 is now live in the Asset Store with an extra fix addressing import error.

We're almost done with moving Force Field manual to our online documentation center so head here if you'd like to know how to setup you image effects and much more: http://forge3d.com/documentation/force-field/

5. s7

s7

Force Field: Fine Tuning the Shield Tutorial

The newest Force Field tutorial is available for you covering one of the important Shader chapters in the Force Field Manual.

You will explore the best available options to achieve the top-line result. You will also learn how to create a shield from scratch and a few valuable tricks to apply in the process. Enjoy!

6. s7

s7

7. s7

s7

MEGA SALE -25% OFF!
    From November 27th, 12AM PST through December 8th 11:59 PST.
    Start Shopping!

8. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I was going to try to post this on the forum.forge3d.com forum, but it appears to be offline. The rest of the forge3d.com website seems to be working though.

I'm using this asset, version 2.41(though the documentation labeled deprecated shows 2.2). For all intents and purposes, it appears to be working great. I was able to adjust my shield to look pretty much how I wanted. The game doesn't mess up or anything. My setup is using the functionality of putting the forcefield script on the top object and then having children actually contain the shields themselves(it is only one child at this time that has it but I'm future-proofing it for later). It constantly emits a NullReferenceException error.

Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. Forge3D.Forcefield.FadeMask () (at Assets/3rd Party/FORGE3D/Force Field/Scripts/Forcefield.cs:213)
    4. Forge3D.Forcefield.Update () (at Assets/3rd Party/FORGE3D/Force Field/Scripts/Forcefield.cs:225)
    The code in question is the following line, which is in the FadeMask() function of the Forcefield class. It is specifically the for statement, not the next line, that the error points to.

Code (csharp):
    2. for (int x = 0; x < mat.Length; x++)
    3.                         mat[x].SetVector(shaderPosID[i], shaderPos[i]);
    I'm figuring out that the issue is being caused by the fact that the top level object that has the forcefield object doesn't actually have a meshrenderer on it, therefore there is no material involved until you go into the child object. In fact, I forgot that when the top-level object did not have a mesh filter, I was getting errors about the script trying to access that, so I added one(with no mesh). Then I started getting the errors each time there is a collision with the shield(though it actually works fine). If I add a meshrenderer to go along with the meshfilter to the top-level object, even though there is no material on it, the errors go away, and the shield still works fine. So, is this a bug in your code or something I may have done?

9. s7

s7

Hi, and thanks for buying Forcefield!

The updated documentation is available at forge3d.com/documentation/force-field/

You may also find this video helpful: forge3d.com/documentation/force-field/#fine-tuning-the-shield

The setup you describe is something similar with the ship in the Weapon_Range_RigidBody_Fix scene.
    The root object has the shield script with the shield parts linked in its inspector. There is no mesh renderer in the root game object. The heirarchy includes multiple subobjects so you might want to check that first. Finally, it throws no exceptions :)

10. melonhead

melonhead

Can you help with a problem i have with my meshes, this also happens if testing with the unity default cube, as the shield there are black lines or gaps between the mesh faces, if you turn up the mesh offset in the shader the gaps get bigger and the faces just seem to seperate, this does not happen with the unity sphere, but it is happening with the unity cube and my mesh made in blender, i have made sure all vertecis are welded, i have unwrapped the mesh, but in when i use it as the shield there are gaps between some of the faces that just open wider when using the mesh offset, what am i doing wrong.

i have just tried with a standard blender cylinder not unwraped and still same problem, it is like all the faces are seperated from each other when using the shield offset in the shader

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  11. s7

s7

Hey melonhead,

Thanks for your question. I have sent you a reply via email.