Search Unity

For the love of God, PLS change the coloring from default blue when editing singular scene prefabs

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by IllTemperedTunas, Mar 24, 2021.

1. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

upload_2021-3-23_23-48-5.png
    See that light blue line? When I see that I usually assume i have to right click it to assign the changes to a prefab. Not knowing if I'm working on a scene object disconnected from everything or a prefab in editor mode. Because they have the same color, it totally messes with our heads, and i'm sure MANY people are confused by this entire system because of the parity in color between scene objects and prefabs that are being edited and propagated in real time in editor mode.

IT CANNOT BE UNDERSTATED HOW MUCH THIS CHANGE WOULD EASE THE UNDERSTANDING OF THE OVERARCHING SYSTEM OF PREFABS.

Can we get a basic bitch white for when we are editing a scene specific object that will not have its changes propagated to other objects?

So to reiterate, if I'm in prefab edit mode, and the changes I'm making to a prefab are being saved somewhere to something and right clicking and adding changes changes its parent, it should be blue. If i'm in a scene and my changes are doing absolutely nothing until I assign it to the prefab of which the instance i'm working on is assigned, it should be white or some other "dead" generic color that insinuates no change.

Thanks for listening.

2. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

A quick bonus suggestion...

When a popup box comes up asking "Do you want to make a new original prefab, or a prefab variant" you guys could do a lot to explain that "a new original prefab" wont be a totally new root prefab, it will have the same inheritance level as the prior one.

3. altepTest

altepTest

I've watched a bunch of videos and read about this "Do you want to make a new original prefab, or a prefab variant" and still have no idea what is the difference. I mean I may have got the answer when watching the videos but the information slipped out of my mind and reverted to "what is this?" mode. This could be explained a little better you are right

4. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

It's asking if you want to create a new branch, and create a prefab variant of the prefab you were just editing, or if you want to make a new prefab that has the same inheritance as the one you're editing.

It's complicated, but 9 times out of 10 if you're confused, just do an original prefab and you wont be overcomplicating things.

5. Daahrien

Daahrien

What do you mean with "same inheritance level"?

6. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

If you drop a prefab in your scene that is a prefab varient, modify it, then drag the modified version to create a new prefab and choose "Original prefab" it will still inherit from the parent prefab of the original prefab you were working on.