Search Unity

Question For particles, is "allow roll" still not working in VR?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Ben_at_Work, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Ben_at_Work

Ben_at_Work

(Unity 2021.2.15f) (Quest 2 + Quest as Rift in editor)

This is a seemingly ancient problem and google refuses to give me links to anything applicable to the current versions of Unity. I just started diving back into particles again after a break from that corner of things. I have some large fog particles a ways out on the horizon which are where the problem is most noticeable. Looking side to side or tilting the headset in various directions causes the particles to twist and pivot obnoxiously to match.

I've disabled Allow Roll, with no clear change in behavior. I've tried aligning the particles to View, Facing, and Local, none of which fixed the issue. I tried vertical billboards but that still leaves the particles squashing and stretching as I look around. The min/max particle sizes are set to 0 and 10000, so they're not being forced to match the screen size or something.

What am I missing? What is google hiding from me? How do I make my particles face the camera without dancing around as my head bobbles?

2. Ben_at_Work

Ben_at_Work

As far as I was able to figure out, there's no clear way to have billboards only perform render alignment on spawn.

Facing is a better render alignment than View for VR by a long shot as it matches the player's position rather than head angle, and the position rarely changes.

Billboard has three axes of freedom to match the player. Allow Roll will limit just one of those.
    Vertical Billboard starts with two axes of freedom, but for some reason you can't disable roll to limit it to just one.

My vertical billboards were still squashing and stretching awkwardly so I took advantage of a lucky convenience and used Align to Direction in the Shape module. This solved things on the cylindrical emitter I used, since the transform origin was at the center where the player ought to be, but is useless for individual particles on other emitters.

glenneroo likes this.
  3. unity_4DDFD1C6991A097D2539

unity_4DDFD1C6991A097D2539

Hello Unity? still doesn't work 2021.3.7

4. alphdevcode

alphdevcode

I have the same question. Still no answer?