Search Unity

For an android platformer game, should i go for 3D models(Orthographic) or 2D with sprites ?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by keshav2010, Jun 22, 2018.

1. keshav2010

keshav2010

I'm making a new game, a sidescroller platformer, you can think of it like limbo style, but not that dark
    Im not sure if i should go for 3D Models (for ground, and other environment stuff) or 2D sprites, I'm not sure if its actually good to use 3D models in this game as it may effect performance or should i go for 2D sprites however on this end, i won't be able to simulate lightening and stuff, what do you think ?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. astracat111

astracat111

You can definitely simulate lighting with 2D graphics, you have to add a shader component to your game object and buy or download a good sprite shader off of the unity asset store, then select it from your attached shader.

I'm making 2.5D graphics, and I can tell you....well...where do you see your game deving career in the years to come? The decision you make, if you take on a large project, could really shape your future. What I had to do was program my own state machine for loading graphics, displaying them and for movement states. 2D can be more complex if you're custom coding an animation system.

If you don't mind using premade graphics I might say 3D...It just all depends what interests or inspires you.

2D will fare better for performance on Android of course, but then phones are getting more powerful. Are you gonna be running this on an S8?

keshav2010 likes this.
  3. keshav2010

keshav2010

Your answer was really helpful for me to make up my mind, meanwhile during the time when no answer was posted on this thread i tried to think on my own and my decision was to go with 2D, essentially because my game is more inclined toward physics based problem solving and so as unity's physics 2D work entirely differently from 3D, that should be better in performance (just in general i believe 2D physics calculation are much faster as compared to 3D), plus i have no decent reason to go for 3D other than simulating light effect and that too in some places only, and changing entire workflow for just lightening doesn't look like a nice choice to me, and as for shader i will surely have a deeper look on them.