Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

For 3D/Texture artists how much should I charge for this project?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by createdbyx, Jan 7, 2015.

?

How Much should I charge?

1. $25

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. $50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Even more? $200+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. createdbyx

createdbyx

I have a initial project proposal written for a 3D model of a cartoon style brain with hand drawn textures applied to it. Because I am no artist and this is my first time hiring an artist I am wondering how much should expect to pay for this project. I'm hoping 100-200$ CAD should cut it but again I have no idea what I should offer.

If anyone has an Idea what I should charge for the project let me know. I plan on posting this to freelancer.com website as well as the unity forms job offer thread.

------------- BEGIN PROPOSAL -------------

Codefarts.com needs a 3D brain mascott/logo/splash screen model !

Need a simple 3D model of a brain fully rigged, ready to be animated. Also need a hand drawn toon style brain texture that is applied to the model. A single animation is required demonstrating the extents to which the model is able to flex before vertex/polygon over lap occurs or a simple emote animation(s) would suffice. This is to help ensure quality and overall design.

This will be used primarily in a Unity3D project so model format should be .FBX.

The model will be used for animated splash screen sequences during startup, as well as being used to generate rendered images of the brain for the codefarts.com website, logos & and advertising purposes.

The overall model can not change the existing dimensions of the reference model parts more then say 10-20% of how they are per portioned in the reference photos. I feel as though the current dimentions and porportions of the brain stem, brain and eyes, cerebelum etc are just about the right perprotion to one another although I'm I should note I am not 100% commited to this as I am no artist as you can see from my crude attemts to construct a brain character.

The overall model style should have a very cartoony look & feel like the diabolical brain shown in the reference2 photo from here https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3551

The over all theme is a crazy wild cartoon brain that often acts like a dog sniffing the ground back and fourth, with it's 2 frontal lobes independently yet simultaneously fluttering up and down.

Having the two frontal lobes rigged independantly from one another will allow me to pose the model for comic effect etc.

The brain stem should contain enough bones in it to act like a dogs tail wagging, curled upright, or curled down as if afraid.

The two lobes (cerebellum) under the brain. These lobes will become feet and pop out of the bottom of the brain an used for walking animations. Each one should be a seprate mesh from the main brain mesh to acomodate this.

No leg geometry is required because the two cerebellum will act as floating feet.

The main brain mesh needs to be rigged to have have a spine such that inch worm animations can be used to have the brain inch worm it self across the ground. (see reference photo)

The two temporal lobes on either side should make up a jaw of the mouth for speaking as well as be separatley rigged to accomodate head crab/prededor like opening and closing. Also having the means to open up wide and attach them selves to semi spherical objects for suckling on.

The reference photos do not contain any tounge references but a plain single articulated tounge (sphere sliced in half, flattened, & rigged) is also required Also texture mapped with a hand drawn tounge texture.

Textures for the independant pieces eyes, tounge, brain, tail, cerebelum/feet should exist in separate textures so they can be swapped out in real time as needed.

The Diabolical Brain shown in Reference2 photo pretty closely matches the style of brain texture i am looking for. Pinkish/light brown with noticable small blood vessles snaking across.

The eyes should be low poly spheres that are separate models from the main brain model and have a simple cartoony blue colored eye texture, with black pupil as seen in the reference photos. I will animate and control the eye animation myself.

There does not need to be any teeth or throat.

It should look good/decent when zommed out and screen captured for pixelated 8-bit style photos. (see reference photo)

There is a reference unity package containing the model you see in the reference photos here http://www.codefarts.com/bwainy.zip

Hopefully I have provided enough information and insite into what I am looking for, and if you need further information feel free to ask.

---------------END PROPOSAL ----------------
    Reference2.png Reference.png

2. ippdev

ippdev

I would knock it out for 300 in a day and a half or two with a full Mecanim controller and scripting to control it. The scariest show I ever saw as a kid was the inchworming brain and spinal column from The Outer Limits. I would think it was hiding i my closet when my parents went out. I llike this as a character though..Has alot of possibilities as satire and social commentary etc..