Search Unity

FOOT PLACEMENT IK [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Jan 9, 2019.

1. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Footsteps Sound System & Foot Placement IK
    IS CURRENTLY IN THE VERSION 2.0

This is the official thread to get informations and ask something about Footsteps Sound System & Foot Placement IK. Feel free to ask or give suggestions.

Asset Store Page | Windows Demo | Tutorials

Take your game to a professional level: place feet smoothly on any uneven ground and play footstep sounds accordingly ground type. You can create any type of ground that you need. ⚡

FOOTSTEP SYSTEM works on Terrains, playing different footstep sound for each texture

This asset contains scripts to make character feet fits right on ground. You can easily disable or enable Foot Placement IK during runtime. Also contain a system to play footsteps.

Create a footstep system using a Custom Editor window: Tools -> Dias Games -> Add Footstep System

Ground types are detected by Tags. Set different tags for each type of ground. On Terrains, it's detected by Texture Name.

Contains a Demo Scene with Characters and Animations already setup.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

3. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

New version submmited today.

4. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo This look like a great asset. How does it work with your other assets like Climbing system and TPS? Does this work as an Addon?

5. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

It works perfectly with Climbing System. They do not depend each other, you just have to setup Footstep and Foot Ik system independently, and follow the instructions in the Manual. You don't have to change anything in the scripts.

SamRock likes this.
  6. SamRock

SamRock

Thanks man!
    BTW, I thought some level of Foot IK was already inplace on the Climbing system right? Does this asset change or enhance how "Step up" works? I no longer need to check for Step up if I use FootIK?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  7. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Some situations you can maybe not use StepUp. But FootIK works better on surfaces with trigger collider. StepUp works better with no trigger colliders.

SamRock likes this.
  8. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo I just purchased this asset. I was able to setup the Step Sound using the guide. But since I also own your Climbing (and TPS) asset, I need some help on where to place the "LAND SOUNDS"

Also where should I call the "ENABLE AND DISABLE FOOT IK" within my Climbing asset?

Third, how do I remove the Footstep sound from a character? I added it to a NPC , but it doesnt seem to be working, how do I know its added or not? I dont see any script attached (even on my main character)

9. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @SamRock

1. You can add the land sounds in the Third Person System script. You drag your footstep data to the OnGrounded Event, and chosse PlayLandSound:

upload_2019-6-20_20-33-37.png

2. You use these both functions when you don't want to use Foot IK. You can use it for some ability, you can add this functions in the ability event, disabling it and enabling again:

upload_2019-6-20_20-35-56.png
    In this case, Foot IK is disabled during Roll ability, and reenable again on the end of the ability.

3. All footstep sound are added on both feet. You can go there and see the script and remove it:

Attached Files:

SamRock likes this.
  10. SamRock

SamRock

Thank you so much!
    For 3. I didnt realize I need to look at the foot :)

For 2. I added the Enable /Disable to Jump (enter and Exit) event, however I still see the model is still sinking into ground. Will try adding this to other script and see the result.

I have new question - 4. How do I add sound for walking on water or In Water? Since most of the time, water is slightly above foot collider

11. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo
    The Foot Controller seems to be taking up bulk of the time on in PlayerLoop. 154 Calls is that every millisecond?
    Could you please look into this? I haven't seen any updates on this Asset! I hope you are supporting it. I am only using the Footstep sound.

I had to disable FootIK, because it was making my character stretch weirdly on certain surface. It requires some more tweaks from you
    FootIK.PNG

diasrodrigo likes this.
  12. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @SamRock
    Thank you for sharing this. I'll take a look at this. O'll try to fix these problems

13. SamRock

SamRock

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

15. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Take a look at your animator controler. You probably have two parameters with the same name. Delete the duplicated parameters.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

https://ibb.co/w6Yg6FZ

What do I have to do there ? °°

17. SamRock

SamRock

Check under the Parameters table. Delete the parameters with same names. Preferably the second one
    tmp.PNG

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ther is nothing dublicated or something : /

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

? °°

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

22. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello

Are you using which version of Unity? 2020?

23. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I was searching about this problem of duplciate parameters, and there is a post about it. It looks like a bug in the newer versions: https://forum.unity.com/threads/dup...ntroller-with-unity-2020-1-and-2020-2.927416/

A lot of other assets are facing this problem, like Horse Animset Pro and Opsive controllers.

That's something related to Unity Engine, not our assets. I will still trying to find a way tor emove this warnings, but I think we need to report a bug about it.

24. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

Hey, we were going to purchase this, @diasrodrigo would you still support this if we bought it? I think i can get around the duplicate parameter messages.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

problem solved, I have now switched to the LTS version and now the warnings are gone.

thanks !

26. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

I'm using the latest 2020.1 version, not too worried about warnings, but want to know dev @diasrodrigo will support us :)

27. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello.

Yes, I give support for all my assets. About support with this problem of animation curves warnings, maybe I can't help much, because it's a bug with the newer version of the engine.

28. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

Just purchased this asset today. Running the demo scene I noticed the Ethan character is unable to climb the stairs. The manual just deals with setting up the footstep sounds. What settings are used to adjust step height?

29. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

One other thing to mention is that I installed the Foot Solutions asset on top of the Climb System asset. One thing I noticed is that the Stair Layer is set to TransparentFX - is there a reason for this?
    upload_2020-11-26_9-53-23.png

diasrodrigo likes this.
  30. Rispat-Momit

Rispat-Momit

Hi there! Your project looks very interesting! :) Does it work with Unity's 3rd Person Character Controller?

31. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes. Foot IK calculates IK position considering Transparent layers, but character collision doesn't consider this layer to calculate collision. In this way you can walk over objects with Transparent layer, like when you walk on stairs, but system adjust feet on the stairs because it considers transparent layer. In the stairs of the demo scene there is an invisible collider in all stairs that is used for physics and the stair colliders that are Transparent for Foot IK only

32. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello, it works independently of character controller you are using. It checks animation curves to play footsteps and adjust feet.

Rispat-Momit likes this.
  33. Rispat-Momit

Rispat-Momit

Nice! So I don't need a whole new controller for this system to work. Right? The scripts will just adjust the leg position.

34. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

Does this work with UMA?

35. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

If UMA creates Humanoid rig characters, it will work

36. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

This definitely does not work with UMA.

37. SamRock

SamRock

This has nothing to do with UMA or any controller. Just have any Humanoid model with Left & Right Foot and this should work out of box.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  38. klarkitgames

klarkitgames

I am using Atavism so do I need to setup the footstep system for each character race?
    I am using UMA and when adding the footstep system it does not recognize any of my characters as humanoid.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  39. klarkitgames

klarkitgames

I added a UMA character and added the footstep system to them but nothing works.

40. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo
    Will this work for Non humanoid character? Like animals?

41. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello Sam

Unfortunately no. It works only for humanoids

42. stigmamax

stigmamax

Hello
    I use a free Footstep system which does not give me satisfaction.
    My game is in first person and I will not use the system with 2 feet. Is this suitable for my project?
    I ask the question before buying.
    THANKS

43. stigmamax

stigmamax

I still have this error
    PlayOneShot was called with a null AudioClip