Search Unity

Foot IK not working?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Unity_Lic_5, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Unity_Lic_5

Unity_Lic_5

Hi!

I have a simple cycle animation where the character's left foot (screen right) is completely still.
    But somehow when I import the animation into Unity, his left foot starts to move, as if the IK of the left foot isn't being applied. I would appreciate any suggestions to fix this.

I've set it up as a Humanoid rig and turned off animation compression.

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi,

Does your character rig map correctly when you check Rig/Configure?

And with IK you mean that you use a script that uses Unity's IK?

Or do you just mean that you set the foot IK toggle in Mecanim?

3. Unity_Lic_5

Unity_Lic_5

Yes, the rig mapping all checks out.

With IK I don't mean a script, I simply mean that in my 3d package (3d studio Max) I use a IK-leg setup, which does seem to translate to Unity, but somehow Unity still adds movement to the left foot, whilst it is standing still in the animation.
    I've rigged the character with the Humanoid setup of the CAT rigging system, so everything is pretty standard in bone setup and naming conventions.

I've also already tried the IK toggle in mecanim without any effect.

Thank you for taking the time to think along with this issue!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  4. Olmi

Olmi

Well, if the animation is not made for the specific model in 3dsMax, it might be that it doesn't get retargeted properly. Btw, it's worth always reading (and re-reading to refresh) this blog post: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/26/mecanim-humanoids/
    It has a lot of good information on how Mecanim exactly works.

5. Unity_Lic_5

Unity_Lic_5

Apologies if I wasn't clear, but the animation is specifically made for this model. I rigged this model using a BaseHuman/Humanoid bone setup of the CAT system in 3ds Max, so I'm not retargeting anything. I'll have a look at the blog post.