Search Unity

FontEngine.LoadFontFace_With_Size_FromFont_Internal() takes a long time

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by wetlag, May 30, 2019.

1. wetlag

wetlag

Hi,

I am trying to draw lots of player usernames using TextMesh Pro, Unity 2019.1.3f1.

I can't know in advance what glyphs these usernames are going to contain. My main font is static, while all the other fallback fonts are dynamic.

There are potentially hundreds of these player usernames, but only a subset are visible at any time. I use an object pool to reuse these tmp texts.

I understand that this isn't the typical use case where players are inputting text one character at a time, but I do need to speed things up.

Would love to understand what FontEngine.LoadFontFace_With_Size_FromFont_Internal() is doing, and how I can potentially speed it up. Is it possible to move it to a background thread?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

See the following post which details improvements that I have made in this regard.

3. wetlag

wetlag

Thanks for the reply.

I'm already on 2019.1. Does this mean I already have those improvements?

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I have not submitted those changes yet but they will eventually show up in some version of 2019.1.

5. wetlag

wetlag

@Stephan_B Sorry to bother you, but are any updates on this?

How can I get notified when the changes have been patched in? Is there an expected date?

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Once the new release is out, I'll update the title on the top sticky post to reflect version 1.4.2 and 2.0.2 is now available.

The PR for the changes to the FontEngine is in process so it might land in the next 7 - 10 days but not sure when the cut off is for the next release of 2018.4.x.

Although some of the changes are in the FontEngine, I did post a modification that can be done in the package that should help.

Let me know what kind of improvements this yields for you.

7. wetlag

wetlag

Good to know. Thanks!

8. wetlag

wetlag

@Stephan_B I don't mean to bother you, it's just that it's been two months and I'm wondering if there are any updates?

9. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

A big update is coming which will now be version 1.5.0 for Unity 2018.4 and 2.1.0 for Unity 2019.x.

In hindsight, I should have released what I had back then but as usual one thing led to another (ie. feature here, bug fix there, etc.) so it ended up delaying the whole release.

I'll provide an update over the weekend.

wetlag likes this.
  10. wetlag

wetlag

Thanks, looking forward to that update.

11. wetlag

wetlag

@Stephan_B Sorry, is the update up? Haven't seen it.

12. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Not there yet still working on it.

13. Brady

Brady

@Stephan_B On this subject, is there any way to either A) have the fall-back font generate its glyphs in a thread, or B) perform some kind of pre-warming so that there isn't a multi-second freeze as is sometimes the case?

14. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Please describe how you are using the dynamic system and fallbacks and encountering this freeze as the reported behavior related to the FontEngine.LoadFace in this thread was addressed.

The process is multi-threaded but most of the time since the dynamic system should mostly be used to handle user input we end up processing just one glyph at a time as user type them. Having said that, this process should not be noticeable to an end user even on slow mobile devices.

If you know that you are going to need to add a bunch of characters to a font asset at runtime, you can use the
    FontAsset.TryAddCharacters() functions.

P.S. Be sure to test using the latest release of the TMP package which is version 1.5.0-preview.13 for Unity 2018.4, version 2.1.0-preview.13 for Unity 2019.x and version 3.0.0-preview.13 for Unity 2020.x.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  15. Brady

Brady

Thanks, @Stephan_B. I'm currently on 2.0.1 with 2019.3.1f1. I'll try 2.1.0. Sorry if I misunderstood the context of the thread. The situation I'm running into is I have a leaderboard, and when Chinese characters get displayed for Chinese users' names, it uses Arial Unicode as the fallback font (set in the global TMPro settings), and there's about a solid 1 second or more freeze (Oculus Quest) where no frame renders, which of course for VR is devastating. If I remove the font from the fall-back (so that there are none set to fall-back to), then the characters render as blocks but there is not freeze.

16. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

How many names / characters (roughly) does the leaderboard contain?

How complex is your fallback structure? Ie. Do you have several local fallbacks + several global fallbacks or just a primary font asset with this Arial Unicode fallback?

What are the generation settings on this fallback? SDFAA with Default 90 with padding of 9?

17. Brady

Brady

@Stephan_B It is only about 4 or 5 Chinese characters, rendered using Arial Unicode.

There is only a single global fallback font: Arial Unicode.

The generation settings are:
    Dynamic
    SDF32
    Sampling Point Size: 40
    Padding: 5
    Width/Height: 2048

Thanks so much for looking into this!

18. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The SDF over sampled modes like SDF, SDF8, SDF16 and SDF32 are not suitable for dynamic SDF generation as they are way too slow.

You should be using SDFAA with dynamic font asset where the default sampling point size is 90 and padding is 9.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  19. Brady

Brady

@Stephan_B thank you for the tips. I'll try that and see if that addresses the issue. Thanks!