Search Unity

Font size on the docs pages appears too small and hard to read after website update

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Xarbrough, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

A short time ago, it seems, the documentation pages have been updated to use a different and smaller font for method and property listings. The new text is more difficult to read and its smaller than text on other common websites.

DocsFont.PNG
    Compare the new font used for e.g. "GetPersistentEventCount" to the font used by Google on the left. The smaller text is more difficult to read and looks a little to dense (not enough kerning). I don't think it needs to be this small to save space. We have scrollbars for a reason and instead of making the text smaller, we can remove a little bit of padding in the table rows and reduce the distance between text lines.

I kind of feel out of place reporting these kinds of issues, since this is a web designers job to get right without users having to vote, but lately, I'm concerned that Unity has decided some internal trend towards tiny fonts or that there is some gap between Unity designers choosing fonts and sizes and what users are actually seeing on their devices. I'm using a 21 inch, 1920 x 1080 monitor, no high dpi or 4K screen. To me this looks as if it was designed to look nice on a giant screen with high pixel density, but it doesn't hold up on a regular one.

Thank you for your consideration!

2. Madgvox

Madgvox

I have noticed this as well. Part of me feels like this was unintentional, since I think only parameter names are affected; everything else is still the same size.

3. ChrisTR0ll

ChrisTR0ll

Unity Technologies

Thanks for flagging this. We're looking into it!

Xarbrough likes this.