Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Font Atlas in desired glyph order for a monospace bitmap font?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Daedolon, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Daedolon

Daedolon

I'm trying to create a TMP font from a custom monospace bitmap font I'm working on. When trying to finalize this process by creating the Font Atlas to place my bitmaps in, Unity keeps optimizing the atlas by cramming everything towards the bottom left corner (I'm sure there's some sort of name for this sorting algorithm but I'm not privy to it).

Is there any way to prevent this from happening and force Unity to use the given Character Sequence and Sampling Point Size to create a perfect grid for my font? Even a workflow similar to Unity's Sprite Editor's slicing utility which makes it super easy to re-arrange selections to match an image.

This is very counter-intuitive as a lot of people do create custom low resolution bitmap fonts as monospace on a strict grid for easy creation. Every time you would add a new character or do any substantial change to your grid, you would manually have to scramble the bitmap to match the Font Asset Creator's Font Atlas, creating pointless downtime and excess steps to creating fonts.

Thanks.