Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FollowZoom transitioning from a camera using Framing Transposer

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by tdemelle_unity, May 5, 2020.

1. tdemelle_unity

tdemelle_unity

In the game I'm working on, at the end of a match, I'd like to transition from the mix camera we're using as the main gameplay camera to a fixed end of match camera.

The main gameplay mix camera blends between 'zoomed in' and 'zoomed out' cameras using 'fake ortho', aka perspective with an FOV of 1. They are using the framing transposer following a TargetGroup to control their movement.

The end of match camera is also a perspective camera with a wider FOV of 16 (and is much closer to the target assets). It's using a custom aim target specific to it.

When I run a transition between the mix camera and the end of match camera in a timeline, the focus flies off of the map into space.

I'm thinking the FollowZoom extension would be the way to control that, but I'm having trouble getting it to work in this situation.

I've tried filling in the Look At fields in the zoom in and out cams so there's something for the FollowZoom extension on the Mixer camera to keep in view, but I know the Framing Transposer is meant to be used with nothing in the Look At field. I tried putting the TargetGroup in the Look At field also, but it didn't keep the camera focus from flying off. Putting dummy aim targets parented to the zoom in and zoom out cameras resulted in the mix camera going haywire.

Any recommendations for how I could put something like this together?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Hi Todd,

I'm having trouble following what you're trying to do. A lot of moving parts here.

One thing to note: the doc says that the Framing Transposer requires a null LookAt target, but the doc is wrong. You can put a LookAt target, the FT will simply ignore it and use the Follow target.

If you could put together a little sample greybox project that illustrates your issue, then I could take a look at it and give you some more concrete advice.

tdemelle_unity likes this.
  3. tdemelle_unity

tdemelle_unity

Thanks for the reply, Gregory. I think I took this sequence apart and put it back together at least a dozen times trying all kinds of combos of things... and I think I finally got it!! It didn't need followzoom after all. it just needed the cameratargetgroup as the look at target for the zoom in and out cams. (I'd tried this before, but I think having the followzoom extension at the same time might have broken it).