Search Unity

Folders disappearing + can't create C# script

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by metal_days, Feb 2, 2018.

1. metal_days

metal_days

Hello everyone,

I'm currently learning unity, but already on step 1, I'm encountering 2 problems, which I cannot seem to solve.

Problem no. 1 - I create a Folder in the Assets folder, where I want to save scripts.
    I name it 'Scripts'. The moment I click away, the folder disappears. However, if I try to recreate the folder, and name it Scripts again, it will call it Scripts 2 - I.e. as if it recognized, I already made a scripts folder before, albeit nowhere to be seen.

Problem no 2. - I don't have the create C# button! It just isn't in any of the 'Create Assets' submenu!

Any help please ?

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

First of all, the General section is not a tech support forum. It says that in the little description under the link. ;) With that aside...

What version of Unity are you using, and what operating system?

For #1 I would make sure you have unrestricted file permissions, and that your antivirus isn't getting in the way. Sounds like Unity is able to make folders, but unable to access them afterwards.

For #2, can you get a screenshot of the menus you're looking in for the C# script? I'm wondering if this perhaps isn't related to #1, though.

3. metal_days

metal_days

Thanks Penguin,

Ill make sure to post in the appropriate section next time.

Anyway:

Unity Version: 5.4.5.p.5.
    iOS version: High Sierra 10.13.3.

I have attached the screenshots of the menus.

Also, Im not sure how to check accessibility of the files, if anyone could point me in the right direction. Cheers.

Attached Files:

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

5.4.5.p.5 ???

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I haven't used OS X in a while, can't remember how to check file permissions off the top of my head. Probably right-clicking the folder in question, selecting something like "File/Folder Info", and making sure that there's at least read and write access, possible also execute (not sure if needed).

If you right-click in the project folder is there a "Create C# Script" listing in the context menu? I'm guessing not. Unfortunately I can't offer much advice there, I've never seen that before and haven't used Unity on a Mac in quite some time. Good luck!

6. metal_days

metal_days

Yes, Im attaching a screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. metal_days

metal_days

Im more concerned with the inability to create C# scripts.

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I was questioning why you are using a version thats about two be two major releases behind if you are in the learning phase...

9. metal_days

metal_days

I was not aware of this.

I updated this morning, and I keep getting that it is up to date.

Any other way to update ?

Edit:
    Fixed.
    Thanks Johnny,
    I downloaded the latest version from online and now it all seems to be working. Thanks !!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    angrypenguin and LukeDawn like this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

An "update" in Unity world is just installing the newest version. Currently that would be 2017.3.
    https://unity3d.com/get-unity/update

The 5.4.x line is pretty old, and I would only be using 5.4.5 if I was maintaining an existing game originally made with it, or if I was in some type of classroom setting that required that version. If I were staying with 5.x for licensing reasons, I'd be using the latest 5.6 version, but since you're new that doesn't apply to your situation.

11. Piotrone

Piotrone

I had the exactly the same 2 problems as OP (1.not being able to name a folder 'Scripts', 2. not being able to create c# files). I solved it by updating Unity at this link: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/update

I guess I had those 2 issues because I updated Unity by following the link that Unity itself was suggesting me once I opened it. Because I haven't been using the app in a while, the link pointed to an older version (I also had a 5.4.x line) and not the latest one. I solved the issue by updating again to the latest version.

Hope this helps
    p.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

That little window that says you're up to date is almost never working correctly in my experience. :p