Search Unity

Foilage, environment, native or plugins?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by newguy123, Nov 29, 2019.

1. newguy123

newguy123

Hi Guys

I need to add animated trees and grass into my scene and havent done this before. Are there native models and scattering tools in Unity that can do that, or will I need a plugin from the Asset Store?

I looked at the asset store and there are so many different planting and environment plugins, I don't know which are considered "industry standard" and which are fly by night.

Can you recommend any plugins, or point me in the direction if Unity can already natively scatter its own trees and grass over an area.

Ideally I want to select 2 or 3 types of trees, then automatically scatter them within a closed spline area.
    Also need to ability to place single trees, like between parking spaces at a mall.

...coming from 3ds Max, this is pretty easy with Itoosoft Forestpack, but I have no idea how to approach this in Unity

2. newguy123

newguy123

I need to belong to the secret handshake club to get some pointers?

3. SgtLame

SgtLame

Unity terrain tools are evolving, but still seem too basic compared to tools you can find on the asset store.
    I tried and used Terrain Composer 2 for some time. Great tool, really, but documentation is average, and support just vanishes from time to time, for undetermined periods (guy is very busy with some game he's working on). Would not recommend.
    Hope that helps.

4. newguy123

newguy123

Thanks, every little bit helps.

Yes since my original post, I've seen some general comments about the Unity native tools that suck.

Would be cool to get a sense of what most people use for this sort of thing

I dont work on games, but AEC projects. This means typically I need to follow a designed plan for placing trees, grass etc

5. SgtLame

SgtLame

Am working on AEC projects too.
    Regarding spawning based on a closed spline area, I'm not sure, but I would take a look at Vegetation Studio Pro. Splatmaps may be a good solution though. That's what I use anyway.

newguy123 likes this.
  6. newguy123

newguy123

Generally I would have a terrain already done in a DCC app, then import it via FBX into Unity. Then its a case of getting plants onto the thing. Cool, will take a look at Vegetation Studio. Hopefully it also comes with bunch of plants/trees in addition to the ability of scattering/painting them onto a mesh

7. Refeas

Refeas

I use both MapMagic and Vegetation Studio Pro and can only recommend. MM lets you generate complete terrains with rule based placement and can also work well with VSPro.

8. Migueljb

Migueljb

I use RTP and CTS for all things terrain related but I make my terrains in world machine for the terrain heightmap, colormap and splatmap to get the look im after then make rtp and cts enhance everything.
    My go to stuff is RTP for terrain. Enviro for sky and Vegetation Studio for all things vegetation rendering and planting.

9. newguy123

newguy123

Thanks guys, some golden tips there on cool looking tools!