Search Unity

Fog Volume 3

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidMiranda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Flurgle

Flurgle

I'm a little disappointed in the Unity asset store for showing on the top a review from 2 years ago saying how the asset is buggy. How is this review helpful? The asset has been updated numerous times. I'm curious if this effects sales of many assets.

That being said, amazing asset, just remarkable stuff :)

chelnok likes this.
  2. garyhaus

garyhaus

David, good day! Any news on release? I am chomping at the bit here!!! Super psyched.

Gary

Flurgle likes this.
  3. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Sorry guys, I didn't get notified or I just didn't notice it.
    DrDuke was replied via PM.
    Yes, that's really unfair. Even worse when somebody just drop a really bad comment without telling you his problems privately.

Sir, hell yes!

2017-02-20_15-51-08.jpg

RED_Spot, punk and Flurgle like this.
  4. garyhaus

garyhaus

OOH! Huzzah! CANNOT wait!

5. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

No? you will have to wait 2-3 weeks more until it gets approved '-_- (if so)

6. garyhaus

garyhaus

I know.. :(

7. Skyfly

Skyfly

How much will the update /full package cost?

8. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hi. 30$ if you already owned the old one. 50$ if not.

wetcircuit, RED_Spot and punk like this.
  9. Skyfly

Skyfly

Nice, will buy immediately!

10. No0B25

No0B25

Oh, so you're submitting it as a new package?

11. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes, when you make a major and paid upgrade, it has to be a separate package.

12. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Well, its been already 15 days since I submitted this to the asset store and still nothing.
    I don't want to wait for so long to keep you updated with the latest version. For this reason I decided to make my own store. You will be able to get the updates with no waiting time.
    I will put a programmer to manage your upgrades and discounts.
    Meanwhile, a new version with VR support and many other interesting things is ready for purchase from my web page

13. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

Hi David,
    I've been eagerly waiting for Fog Volume 3 for some time now, to use in a VR game I'm working on. I followed the link in your previous post and purchased it. However, when I finish downloading it, and I try to import it into Unity I get "Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package" as if the package got corrupted in the download process.

I've tried downloading it with both Chrome and Firefox several times, and each time the final file is a different size, between 178mb to 199mb. How big is it supposed to be, so I know if I got all the data?

14. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi I can't believe how long unity take to approve assets it's almost as if they don't want to make money. I guess I am going to have to wait for the unity store version though as I already have fog volume and so would do the upgrade instead of paying full price.

If there was a way to apply that discount on your store though I'd just buy from you on principle though so that unity learn to put more effort into their own asset store. It might also be worth putting up a demo on your site as well though so people can check if it works ok on their computer before purchase as I'm worried those clouds look good enough to make my computer cry and burst into flames shortly afterwards.

Ian

15. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

There's a demo download link on Slide 8 on this page http://www.davidmiranda.me/product/fog-volume-3/

16. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Aha, that size is wrong indeed. It is 405mb. I changed the file, linked now a .zip instead of a .unitypackage. Try now. If your link expired, I will send you a 100% discount coupon. Sorry for the inconveniences, you are the first who bought it. But some patience, we will make it work ;)

Cheers!

17. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yup, try the demo.

If you mail me your invoice, I will make a 20 bucks discount for you. Once published on the store I will generate a serial for you, so you can have your asset store access granted.

18. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

I appreciate that, but the link still seems to work, and does indeed now download a zip file instead. However, I still can't get a complete file across. It stops just above 200mb :/ Tried it on a colleague's computer too, same thing, so I'm thinking it could be our connection at the office. I'll try it tonight when I get home too and report back.

19. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Same here '-_- Contacting now web master....

20. wwg

wwg

Hi David,
    Congratulations on the new version of Fog Volume, it looks amazing!! I've been watching this thread for the last few days...very excited for the chance to use it in my game. However, I'm concerned about performance.

I just downloaded and ran the demo and was getting only 10 FPS on the Scotland scene. I'm not on a high-end PC, but my laptop does have a dedicated GPU (Nvidia Geforce 745M) and my game with large terrains, 220,000+ trees, high-poly models, etc - manages to run in the 75-120 FPS range.

I know this is a hard question to answer, but what is the minimum FPS drop I can expect for decent looking clouds/ground fog? For example, if I created a fog volume with a scale of approximately 1400x200x1400, and placed it around some mountain tops to create clouds/fog - approximately how many FPS could I expect to lose - 10, 20, more?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  21. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Its been a nightmare and lots of stress. It was a problem with the server secure redirection and we couldn't do anything. BUT, what I've done is to split the package into one protected and small file and 2 unprotected zips.. You will download now the small one containing only the code part and links to the big part (art). Just uncompress all of that in the same place.

2017-03-07_19-49-06.jpg

22. bgrz

bgrz

I've tried the VR demo, and it's awesome. Judging by the Frame Timing graph it doesn't leave much space for rendering your own game but who needs content when you have clouds that awesome :D I spent 15 minutes just looking at them.

I've noticed some weird glitch when looking at the sun, a few black pixels flicker occasionally in the center of the sun.
    A few gripes prevent me from calling it perfect:
    1. outline gap - in VR the gap around solid objects appears pretty large, and can even get saw-toothy with flickering when tilting the head
    2. color banding - there are very prominent stripes when looking at the distant sky
    3. performance demand - outdoors scene was right on the edge on my GTX 1070, about 9-10ms. Is this demo ramped-up to be more demanding than what you would realistically use in a game, since the "other demos" (see below) worked much better? In other words, is the setup with clouds being all around you like in the outdoor scene more demanding than some more real-world regular-day weather?
    I also tried the other demo - also in VR :D If you happen to know a trick how to force Unity not to run itself in VR do tell, it automatically launches SteamVR no matter what. I'll try with the Vive unplugged tomorrow, but it'd be nicer if one wouldn't have to unplug it :).
    The non-VR demos were all messed up but it's understandable, I just have one question - is the performance I was seeing in that borked-VR mode representative of what it'd be if it was working properly? Because the nature demos seemed to work pretty good, way better than I expected; when I originally saw Fog Volume I wasn't even thinking it'd be compatible with VR's high demands. This looks really promising!

tapawafo likes this.
  23. tapawafo

tapawafo

Probably picking this up soon if I can get the performance I need - just wanted to say, that's a great trailer, maybe the best asset trailer I've seen in terms of showing the features and the product in detail. Great work!

If it's not too much to ask, could you give an estimate on an outdoor scene's performance in VR? I can probably only spare 2-3ms max for clouds, since my game is physics-based and eats performance like candy. I saw your optimization slider video and you seemed to get it under 2ms with good quality - is this realistic?

Thanks.

24. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

That seems like a great solution. However, when I log in and look at my Downloads, it says I don't have any. Checking my Orders, I still have the Fog Volume 3 order details, but no link for downloading it.

25. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

No problem, mail me your ticket to see your details and lets get you the new link.

26. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

Couldn't find your email, but used the contact form on your site.

27. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Working on a cloudscape for VIVE right now. I will make it public too

28. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

Thank you for sorting everything out! Great support!

Any ETA on this? I am currently evaluating which volumetric cloud asset to use for our VR game, and the lack of support for single pass stereo means that Fog Volume 3, while more beautiful, falls behind severely in performance.

29. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Thanks for your good feedback.

SUN GLITCH
    That is the bloom. The sun center intensity in Unity skybox goes crazy

PERFORMANCE
    I adjusted every scene to the limit of my gtx970, just trying to get the best visuals possible. You can always make it cheaper according to your needs. Check this

OUTLINE GAP
    I had to mimic the generation of _CameraDepthTexture myself. I have tried to ask unity developers if they apply some kind of lens correction to the GBuffer. Nobody is helping me with this. If I had that info, I could fix that in 3 seconds. So if anyone succeed generating render textures for VR, please let me know.

COLOR BANDING
    Yeah, well, that depends on the iteration distance. With unlimited power we would iterate one million times.

VR DEMO OUTDOORS
    That is a very complex scene. You have there 2 layers of high quality clouds + volumetric lighting. In production you would make it more simple. I have made a new demo. 90 stable fps for me. Grab it here.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  30. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I have just quickly made this one

31. Pode

Pode

@David_MG : about the color banding, would the use of a blue noise for dithering be helpful ?

32. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes, dithering is already implemented

Lex4art likes this.
  33. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

Well, there is this (Vive Stereo Rendering Toolkit) https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/71255
    It does things like stereo mirrors, portals, etc. It's only for SteamVR though, which is a shame.

Cheers, I'll try it out!

34. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Oh, I didn't know that one. Thanks.

35. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

VIVE CLOUDS DEMO
    I've made a quick demo for VIVE. 90fps in standalone. Download link

2017-03-08_13-40-21.jpg

36. sashahush

sashahush

Congrats David! This looks incredible! instant buy! Waiting for it to be in the store!

37. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

16 days and counting.... And have in mind that you will have access to 3.0. If things goes like this, 3.1 will be live at the store by june xD

38. LaneFox

LaneFox

They had GDC recently so maybe some of the AS team had to attend and is now backlogged. Updates are also generally quicker to get through versus new submissions.

That does seem like an abnormally long wait, though. Maybe @SaraCecilia can check it out?

39. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

I've been playing around with this all day, and I never knew clouds could be so sexy! There are so many options, that it's a little daunting to be honest. Perhaps you could give me a few pointers?
    I'm trying to make a more toony/stylized look to my clouds, with fewer colours used to shade the clouds, think Wind Waker's clouds. How would I go about this? I appreciate any help I can get!

40. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Nice to hear that!
    Yes, it's huge, I know. You have to take your time to learn. Gimme some time to make a coffee and try that style myself ;)

41. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Ooookay, what about something like this?
    2017-03-08_17-40-23.jpg 2017-03-08_17-40-45.jpg

I will explain more in detail by email.

Attached Files:

RomBinDaHouse, tapawafo, ZJP and 4 others like this.
  42. sashahush

sashahush

So it will take 16 days for it to be at the Store?

43. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

No, I said that it has been 16 days since I submitted 3.0

44. BinaryLegend

BinaryLegend

That is almost exactly what I am going for! You're awesome! I'm sure I can use that as a base to get the desired effect. Thank you!

45. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I was indeed working on this a bit more :D

2017-03-09_9-22-20.jpg

I'll let you know when I finish this. You will have to update your version, I solved a bug that I found weeks ago.

sashahush likes this.
  46. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi David I think there might be a bug in your lattest version. All of your scenes work perfectly for me within Unity but if I export any of them into a build the clouds disappear a split second after the scene starts. The only one that works OK for me as a build is the showroom scene. I tested the scenes in your demo to see if it would work OK on my machine and the demo works fine for me.

The only error I have in Unity is OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization. I am not trying to use it with VR though. Also if you do make any updates to the version on your store it might be worth spliting up your unity package into a multipart rar if for some reason your server still needs the files to be smaller than the full package size. I would prefer the output of decompression all the rar files to be one unity package so I could easily install it into my existing unity project.

Thanks,

Ian

47. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Thanks Ian. Gimme a few hours

48. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

49. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

@BinaryLegend Almost there. What do you think? I have done a few variants for you to choose.

2017-03-09_15-20-52.jpg

BinaryLegend and ZJP like this.
  50. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Thanks for your idea. I did it like that. It's now updated in the server.

2017-03-09_16-48-04.jpg