Search Unity

Fog Volume 3

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidMiranda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Hi @DavidMiranda,

I've uploaded a video to YouTube showing the problem. First part shows the Landscape Shadows scene as it is provided in the Fog Volume package, no changes. All runs fine. Then I turn on a plane object I added (in green to make it clearer) and run the scene again. This time as I move the camera the shadows appear and disappear as the angle of the camera changes.

Not sure if it makes any difference but as you can't replicate the problem I'm seeing this issue on Unity 2018.2.0f1, 2018.2.0b10, 2018.14f1. Problem occurs both on Metal and OpenGL 4.1. I've only tested it on OSX so far.

2. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Quick update:

Note that the plane is scaled X:10 and Z:10 to make it fit under the clouds. I've also now tested it on Windows 10 / DX11 and seeing the same results.

3. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

You helped me too ;)
    Show what you did if you want

4. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Humm, check your shadows volume size and vertical position. To shade objects they must be inside of it
    2018-07-10_4-14-27.jpg

P_Jong likes this.
  5. adndima

adndima

If there any way to set a fog around the perimeter but not in the centre?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  6. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes, easy, with a subtractive box primitive. Modes
    Another option is to use textures (gradient tab)

P_Jong and adndima like this.
  7. adndima

adndima

Subtraction does not work for me. What could I do wrong?

8. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Add another additive primitive

P_Jong and adndima like this.
  9. adndima

adndima

It works, thanks a lot!

10. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Nice. Regards

11. Julmil

Julmil

Hello, I work on fire simulation.
    The goal is to use fog volume, like "fog cube" to make smoke. But to make it I will need to use between 5 000 and 10 000 fog volume. Do you think I could use your frog volume with more or less density ? Could I use thousand of frog volume and the game stay in real time simulation ?

Thanks for your answers

12. marcrem

marcrem

Hi,

I used to be able to see point lights illuminate my uniform fog volumes in another unity project.

Now they don't. I've attached a fog volume light to all my lights.

Can't seem to find the issue. Any idea?

Edit: Attached a screenshot of a fog volume i'm using ( dark grey ).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  13. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hi. Lights are only possible with textured volumes. Uniform fog is a completely different method that didn't perform any volumetric feature.

14. marcrem

marcrem

Thanks. How would you simulate a uniform fog volume with a textured one?

15. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Using gradients

16. ramos123

ramos123

hey 1.PNG guys! i've been working with volumetic fog for a while and i' start having this problem... when i run the escen theres a box in game view that doesnt render the fog, does any one know how to solvet ?

17. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

That's probably the camera far clip; too small

18. Lex4art

Lex4art

This happens to me when i'm using mouse scroll to speed up movement in Scene view - it's also doing something wrong with far clip value, so scroll back until this bug gone - works for me.

19. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

is it possible to have different areas with different fog densities/settings? i have several different rooms that need this, but when i add more than a single fog volume to the scene i get odd results, and it seems every primitive shape's values are the same if using a single fog volume

20. kristianstoyl

kristianstoyl

Hi, we have a multi-display setup and we need to sync cloud time over network. Is there any way to do this?
    Thanks

4sascha and olavrv like this.
  21. 4sascha

4sascha

Hey David,
    i was rendering some clouds in blender cycles and added them with post to my scene as following idea popped up.
    I really like fog volume but in combination with many other stuff to render it blows up often the budget.
    But render it on a own gpu then sending the result via async gpu readback and alpha via ndi to the main scene whereyou can comp it with the rest could be solve some limitations. In most cases the clouds are so far away from the ground hat some ms latency doesnt should cares anyone.
    Are you intersted in testing some use cases out.
    best,
    Sascha

22. lo-94

lo-94

Having some trouble utilizing the scene blur for my particular use case. I need to be able to use a single subtractive primitive volume, so I need noise to be enabled so uniform fog is not an option. I see in the docs that it says not to set the Density layer to be the fogvolume, and to set it to the FogSurrogate layer, but when I set it to that layer I get no results. Is there something I'm missing? I get results if I set the layer to be FogVolume, but my performance drops below 50fps when doing so, so I assume there is an alternative

23. lo-94

lo-94

Anybody out there? The documentation is a bit lacking regarding the setup of the FogSurrogate layer for the scene blur

Edit: 3 weeks since my initial post with no response.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  24. BlandonDu

BlandonDu

@DavidMiranda , I really need some help, As the follow screen shot indicates, that i have 2 fv, one is cloud, another one is ground fog which is gradient type and also receiving shadows from the cloud.
    the problem is that all the grass is rendering behind the fog, and i just can not simply switch the rendering order of the fog, since the grass far away need to be renderered behind the fog apparently , and also somthing behaves very oddly , that everything in the scene view looks correct, the grass rendering order are sorted correctly , and every changes regarding the rendering order are all effect only on the scene camera other than the game camera. a bit frustrated, please
    Screenshot_30.png

(the game view, note the part of the grass is renderered behind the fog)
    Screenshot_29.png
    scene view, everything looks correctly.

Thanks in advance.

25. L4Z3RC47

L4Z3RC47

26. jmgek

jmgek

This might be the most basic question ever but I cant seem to figure out what shader or what settings I use to be able to render the fog pass in front of a object?

I know it's hard to tell but in the nebula scene there's a object and I would have assumed that it would hide it in a dense cloud:

What's the settings in order for me to have my objects render the fog in front of and obscure the objects in a scene?

27. lo-94

lo-94

Is this asset abandoned? No response for 2 months now

Current issues:
    1) Do surrogates always render with a box displaying around them even with the radial cutoff?
    2) Is there a way to exclude certain fog volumes from the screen effects (blur and bloom)?
    3) Is there a more detailed explanation of how to go about creating surrogates? I can't really make sense of the documentation as I don't understand the pipeline of how to associate the fog volume's data with the cube object which I assign the fog surrogate mesh to

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  28. Victor_Wei

Victor_Wei

Hi @DavidMiranda ,

I made three volume fog ,but two of them will disappear if I hit play button.
    (I already check out DrawOrder and ZTest, still doesn't work.) 微信截图_20181018115657.png 微信截图_20181018115607.png

It's so annoying , and it will be great if you can give me some suggestion.
    Appreciate.

29. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hey there
    I want to know is it possible to make atmospheric scenes exact the sam screen shot below from INSID using fog volume?
    Screenshot_2018-10-24-20-33-24.png

30. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

31. lawsochi

lawsochi

This is a good question ... this asset was on my list, but now, I doubt it. I hope the developer will say that I'm wrong ;-)

P_Jong likes this.
  32. renardmf

renardmf

Was there any plans for this asset to work in the LWRP or HDRP? Thanks!

P_Jong likes this.
  33. P_Jong

P_Jong

Hey @DavidMiranda
    I would also very much like to know this as well.

Right now I do have another Unity asset producing good volumetric light shafts with LWRP and it's looking great in VR with the Oculus Rift. But I really want to use Fog Volume 3. Any timeframe on when you will look into supporting LWRP and HDRP?

carlotta89 likes this.
  34. AR-Bridge

AR-Bridge

Hi, David,
    I'm using your fog plugin for infinite cloud, however i have some problems.
    First, when I used your infinite cloud sample, it makes performance issue on the ground.
    Increasing the downscale of the Fog volume renderer improves performance slightly, but the quality is very poor.

The following functions are what I need.
    When viewed from the ground, endless clouds must be seen. It also requires an entry effect when taking off and passing through the clouds. Finally over the clouds, the clouds must spread under. The platform I use is the PC platform.
    I used google translation because of my lack of English ability. I'm sorry.

35. sugarbank

sugarbank

36. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Merry Christmas everyone!
    View attachment 349942
    I had fun putting this card together and thought I would share it with everyone. :)

Snow and haze by Weather Maker
    Landscape by Landscape Builder and World Creator 1
    Clouds by Fog Volume 3
    Trees by Forest Vision
    Placement by Vegetation Studio

Pourya-MDP and wetcircuit like this.
  37. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Hi guys!
    I just found this cloud system and looks fantastic! In the actual project, we are working with the newest version of Unity 2018.3 and the default Volumetric Fog.

Here are my questions about Fog Volume 3

A. This cloud system works in Unity 2018.3?
    B. It works with the default unity Volumetric Fog?

Thanks

38. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

It does work with Unity fog.

I’m using 2017 so I can’t answer the other question.

To be honest, the dev is not here much (at least for a long while, I think he is working on another project) and it has a high learning curve. I’ve only recently purchased it and accept it for what it is, so I don’t expect much from the developer. But you can get some amazing clouds and fogs including adding unity fog to it.

A lot of trial and error will go a long way. But it will take time, I think, to get it all figured out. The videos help point you in the right directions and then you’re on your own to experiment.

Just thought you should have all the information before jumping in. But I do enjoy working with it and it can be amazing.

39. Utopien

Utopien

hello I am excited to be work well with your asset i making space opera your volume seems to work only in static mode am i correct ? if yes what aprroch shoud i take with your asset should or c an i instantiate a volume zone by zone if there fog or can the volume be extand to all scene x50000 y50000 z50000 because when its to big the fog dispear for example or there is to move the fog volume with ship and activeted when necessary thank for any help

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  40. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

1) You can use any mesh. But it makes more sense to use a box if radial fade is not used
    2) No. It could be possible, but the layer of each fv is locked.
    3) It is easy, just create a box and assign the surrogate material. The manual process is only required in very specific situations, most of the time you don't need to do this. In that example shown in the documentation the manual process was needed to avoid sorting problems. There is a box that contains the 2 volumes. By default, the low-res buffer is projected on clones of the FV mesh. That's what they do, they just sample the low-res buffer.

jashan likes this.
  41. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I understand, but maintenance of those could be a big and endless pain. I think that it is not a good plan to start working on something that is so new, not documented enough and evolving.

42. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

43. Ruchir

Ruchir

Can you give a comparison between aura ,your asset , and unity's hdrp volumetric fog?:)

44. marcrem

marcrem

I used aura 1 with FV3 and it worked well.

45. GameEverything

GameEverything

Hi, everyone!

I've searched high and low trying to fix this and I wrote this to the dev, so I'll copy and paste just so I don't have to type it all over again, lol.

"Fog Volume Version: 3.4
    Unity Version: 2018.2.18f1
    Operating System: Windows 10
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 560m DX12 (Project compiled as DX11)

So, Volume Fog 3 works in the editor, but will not show up in the Windows build. The settings are set to very high quality and run as such. I don't see how feasible adding the shaders as "always included" is considering this will take hours to compile. I'll ask people in the forums to see if they know anything about it, too. Thanks in advance!"

I was able to get Fog Volume 2.x to work a long while back, but I just can't seem to get this one to work in a build.

Thanks to anyone that can help. I looked at earlier in the thread and how someone had the same issue, but I didn't see a clear fix.

Have a great night! (It's night here :D)

UPDATE 1: I loaded Fog Volume into a new project and actually got Showroom to work. I'm going to test the other scenes now.

Update 2: Made one prefab, edited a scene, and BOOM, nothing worked again. Now I'm trying every scene without editing.

Update 3: Fly-through scene is working wonderfully. I'll keep updating after I start to edit stuff.

Conclusion thus far: Ask for help and then end up fixing stuff without help an hour later, lol. I'll BB, and thanks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  46. GameEverything

GameEverything

Hey there. I have the build problem where Volume Fog just isn't showing up and the build time is ridiculous when I add the shaders to the "always include" list. Did you ever fix this? If so, how?

dsilverthorn and JBR-games like this.
  47. JonDadley

JonDadley

It's been a long time since I "fixed" this but iirc I found that if I created a simple scene with just the fog volume in, it worked correctly. So I think my solution was to load the fog in a scene that loaded before anyone else and then additively load that scene into 'main' scene afterwards. It was a horrible hack but I stopped working on that particular project so I was never forced to find a proper solution. This is all from memory from a long time ago btw so I may be misremembering the exact details.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  48. Farl_Lee

Farl_Lee

Hi @DavidMiranda,
    I integrate the latest Fog Volume 3 with Unity 2015.2.5f1 on PS4 (PSVR). When I use a sample project everything is OK. However, there are some shader errors when I integrate into our project. I'm not sure what's the different between sample project and our project.
    Here is the shader error (That only appear when compiling)
    I hope these information are enough. Please give me some hint to resolve it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  49. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hello. Humm, 2015.2.5f1? 2018 I assume.
    I guess that the difference is the shader compiler, each one has its own susceptibilities. I can not guarantee PS4 support, I can not test it :(
    Does double clicking the error message focus the shader line that is causing the problem?

50. dimitris_baud

dimitris_baud

Hi, I can not get primitives to work on Unity 2018.3.8 and latest FV 3.4.

I want to have fog in the distance, but not immediately around the camera. Say I want fog to start 100m from the camera and extend to 500m.

I would expect to achieve that with Primitives:
    - create a FV with size 500x500x500 and enable use of primitives, finding primitives, etc.
    - create a box additive primitive with size 500x500x500
    - create a sphere subtractive primitive with size 100x100x100

Yet this does not work. I have gone through the documentation and can not understand what I am missing. Is there any other setting I should be using - or are primitives not designed for this usage?

Basically I am interested in the subtractive effect shown here, but I can not replicate with a sphere doing the subtraction: https://forum.unity.com/threads/fog-volume-3.225513/page-7#post-2897995

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019