Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fog Volume 3

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidMiranda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

So… you think passive-aggressive trolling is the way to get us to help you with your issue?

My guess: you are doing something wrong since it works for everyone else.

Why don't you try walking through your project or giving us a little more info?

2. marcrem

marcrem

How about you stop being such an aggressive troll in forums, accusing people of doing exactly what you are doing???

I posted on this board about my issue, and I'm not the only one having this problem.
    I also tried to reach the developer, no luck.

So I'm simply asking here, is this asset still being supported or not?

Jesus, go get some chill pills

MaxWitsch likes this.
  3. marcrem

marcrem

Back to a serious note, I found out that the color management module could be the culprit. Looks like it does affect color while playing in editor, but not in the build.

Setting the color and unchecking color management kinda made it work.

wetcircuit likes this.
  4. Frank-1999-98K

Frank-1999-98K

Thank you very much!
    Is just that I need a volumetric cloud system to be also flown through, but I can't seem to find one that works and that doesn't look like a cartoon rip off... :/

5. marcrem

marcrem

So. I had fixed the problem of not having the right color on my fog volumes, as described in my last post here.

Now I still had the problem of having my first fog volume not rendered. For no apparent reason, I couldn't make it visible, although everything was fine in play mode in the editor.

What I did is I spawned the fog volume like I was doing, but then I immediately disabled the FogVolume component. then, 0.1 seconds later, I enabled it back, and bingo! I can now see my fog volume correctly.

That is weird though.

wetcircuit likes this.
  6. fzhangspaces

fzhangspaces

Hi David,

We got your Fog Volume unity package and try to use it for our VR experience. Unfortuanely, It will don't work for us, and would like to get help from you. Thanks ahead!

Our case: We have a player, who has a camera, which will be not destroyed from scene to scene. Then when we switch to a scene which has the Fog Volume set, the fog will not be seen in the player's camera on the build (standalone application). We can see the fog while running through Unity Editor. Is there any difference between Unity Editor and the standalone application?

Also if we create a camera in the scene directly (other than the player's camera), we can see the fog from that camera in the build instead of player's camera in the build.

So it looks like there are some differences between running the build(standalone application ) and running it through unity editor. Also some differences between Static camera in the scene and the camera came with the player.

Could you give us some hints? Thanks!
    Hope to get your response as soon as possible.

7. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Does anyone know where the landscape demos have gone from the asset...I downloaded latest and redirect to dropbox is empty.

8. marcrem

marcrem

As I posted earlier, the only workaround I found was to disable and re-enable the fogvolume. (You should try that when you load the scene with the fog volume )

9. TuringM

TuringM

Hello everybody,
    When compiling the pillars demo scene to a windows executable and running it, it seems that it ignores totally the fog volume primitives and renders an infinite unshaped fog everywhere.
    Anyone else concerned by this issue?
    Thank you
    (I'm using Unity 2017.3.1f1)

10. bfoddy

bfoddy

@TuringM yeah I see the same issue on 2017.4 with FV 3.2.1p4

11. Nihil688

Nihil688

Hi, we're using 2017.3.0f3 and getting

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. FogVolumeCamera.Render () (at Assets/Extras/FogVolume/Scripts/FogVolumeCamera.cs:464)
    3. FogVolumeRenderer.OnPreRender () (at Assets/Extras/FogVolume/Scripts/FogVolumeRenderer.cs:227)
    In every scene

wkidwell likes this.
  12. wkidwell

wkidwell

I was going to buy this, but I see alot of problems people are having. Too bad really, the videos looks cool but it looks like later versions of Unity are having issues that are not getting addressed.

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  13. Maddy021

Maddy021

Hey Folks,

I just bought Fog Volume 3 for my VR Application, and it all works fine, until I want to test the Fog with my Oculus. The Fog just dissapears in my Gameview, and I have no clue why. I googled my issue multiple times without any hint for a solution. Also I didn't find any settings that I have to set to let that effect work in VR.
    I found out that a Script in the MainCamera is missing when I import the Package in my Project. I imported it again, and again in a different Project, but the Script is still missing - but I don't know if this missing Script is the way to go to let this work in VR.
    I use the Unity Version 2017.4.1f1.

It would be glad if someone can help me :)
    Unbenannt1.PNG

Unbenannt.PNG

14. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

I'm having a similar problem - not sure why the fog is not showing in the builds. Also, I don't understand what the 'Horizon' object is - how is it used and where should it be placed?

floatpt likes this.
  15. AlenH

AlenH

Having same problem not showing in play mode on 2017.4.1f1...any help much appreciated.

EDIT: it works if fog volume bounding box is moved away from the camera and if camera hits the volume it turns on and it works.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  16. inkostyakov

inkostyakov

Hello! I'm using Fog Volume 3 with FogVolumeScreen. But then I use particle system some issue happen. Script blur not only horizon, but near particles also. Any suggesions?

Attached Files:

17. JBR-games

JBR-games

Cool looking asset.. Seems to have been updated recently which is good, but its also been months since Developers last forum post. Its been my experience that this usually means an asset is likely losing support. Anyone heard from the developer, before i decide to purchase or Not?

led_bet likes this.
  18. LABEL4

LABEL4

hey, we've just bought the plugin and our question is if and how we could make a single cloud

19. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Good afternoon!

After reading the manual, tried some things, and ran into issues:

First, if you have noise turned on in the fog volume, and use rendering primitives to secure where it shows up, if you turn on Volume Fog at the top of the script, it ignores the primitives for the volume.

What setting am I missing to deal with that?

Aside from that, I'm noting a heavy hit on using it for displaying noise depth for an underwater tank.

20. bitinn

bitinn

Hi all,

Is there a magical switch somewhere, where I can actually stop the fog simulation?

I am not in play mode, but the way this script is written, it continues to run (update material) as if I am in play mode. So far I can only stop it by disabling the fog volume object or the main camera or the mesh renderer.

It really should be using scriptable object as presets and only run in play mode (doing that will allow you to tune the setting without worrying about losing changes).

If anyone has some quick suggestion on this, please let me know. Thx!

(Very tempting to rewrite the main fog volume controller from ground up...)

21. Pollawat

Pollawat

Please help, I'm a newbie and also not good at English either.

After I test with the other particle or effect it looks like the sky effect disappear when those effects are active.

22. ceebeee

ceebeee

Wow, glad I checked here first. Was about to buy this. But no support, no buy.

23. jmgek

jmgek

I'm creating a point light and attaching a 'FogVolumeLight' on scene start. Does anyone know if it's possible to create a point light at runtime to view with the fog?

24. bitinn

bitinn

Yeah, you better be prepared to understand this asset fully yourself.

To be fair, the core of this asset is decent: it's probably the only asset with a fully working beer-powder lighting model implementation (aka Horizon Zero Dawn cloud lighting, not limited to skybox, so it can be a part of your scene).

But the surrounding of this asset is questionable, basically, you need a lot of technical knowhow to not get trapped by its shortcomings. Many of these are in the document, but there are a lot of roadblocks until you can get it working exactly right.

One more thing is, ray marching clouds are slow, real slow. Unless you are targeting high-end PC users, you end up downsampling a lot, and it means blurry clouds. Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 ended up using quarter resolution (1/16 res) + reusing previous frames to get their 2ms budget target.

So be careful about what you expect from this asset, I bought it mostly as a learning tool and it served me ok.

JBR-games and Seneral like this.
  25. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

You could always try email if you have an actual question, I've always gotten a fast personal response. He's also more active on Twitter.

This is the only asset I have where the Docs show the roadmap, including all the items that have been completed (if you want to know whether the asset is being regularly updated, it is), and the update logs are thorough. At the same time, any personal criteria for buying/not buying an asset is perfectly valid, so if you want a lot of forum chat then no this may not be the asset for you.

I don't want to speak for David, but I think he became frustrated with the same "I'm using your asset in a non-standard way and it's broken so fix my project NOW!", and as you can see reading the forum they eventually seem to arrive at the same solution – which they might have solved faster just by reading back a few pages…. That's why I like forums, the question has often already been answered if you look (not saying I haven't made my own fair share of dumb questions that wasted a developer's time while I've missed something obvious/unrelated...).

I don't know of any competing fog system that looks like this – the images speak for themselves, so if you want this quality there are maybe not many options. All volumetric effects are heavy on the engine. To repeat: All volumetric effects are heavy on the engine but the controls are here to make your own decisions about what is acceptable performance vs pure eye candy.

26. zagreekie

zagreekie

Hello everyone,
    Recently bought the asset and I have a strange issue, When I load up any demoscene, I can normally see the fog structure or nebula in the scene view just fine, but I cannot see it in the game view, even if I play the scene the game view is just black with an FPS counter.

I also get a infinite amount of this error:

A game object can only be in one layer. The layer needs to be in the range [0...31]
    UnityEngine.GameObject:set_layer(Int32)
    FogVolume:GetShadowMap() (at Assets/FogVolume/Scripts/FogVolume.cs:1269)
    FogVolume:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/FogVolume/Scripts/FogVolume.cs:1717)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Has anyone seen this before? Also ill admit I am not a fantastically technical person.

27. Prefab

Prefab

HI @DavidMiranda , I just purchased this today and would like your advice on how to do the followiing. I have made the the volume a single color and lowered the visibilty to 1. The volume is now an opaque prism. Now what I would like to do is have a gradual increase of transparency with the center being opaque and becoming more and more transparent until completely transparent on the outer edges of the volume. It is basically like when you use the feather on a shape in photoshop except this is in 3d of course. Ultimately what I am trying to achieve is to have volumes around the scene which the player can hide in and not be seen, but they need to resemble something natural like a glowing area of light, or a shadowy area that sort of thing. I hope that makes sense

28. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I think you could reduce the number of slices?

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi, just popping up to see that there were some annoyed discussions in this thread. Typically when an author doesn't pay attention to forum threads this can occur. Don't worry about it and email the author directly as @wetcircuit suggests if you cannot get the right kind of assistance from each other. Thanks!

30. Prefab

Prefab

Hi @wetcircuit , where can I find the setting for changing the slices? I have gone through the fog volume component settings but could not see this one.

31. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I don't have it in front of me… I think under "Render". It is grouped with the controls that set how far apart each slice is.

32. Dam-Pete

Dam-Pete

@DavidMiranda slightly off topic, but could you share which assets were used to compose the visual aspect of the cube (glass shader, terrain "slice", etc.)?

33. BlandonDu

BlandonDu

Hey , thanks alot for this solution first, secondly, the author really should fix this issue for us, since that got this asset 2 weeks ago just, that issue still happens

floatpt likes this.
  34. Held0fTheWelt

Held0fTheWelt

Could i exclude Fog inside of buildings and just place it around, or would it be everywhere ??

35. Kondor0

Kondor0

Have any of you used this system with more than one camera? I have a case when I switch cameras and I get some transparent shapes in one (these shapes belong to objects visible in the other inactive camera). I madre sure I have disabled fog volume renderers in both cameras to swtich and I also switch the camera in Fog Volume Data.

EDIT: nevermind, I think I found the solution. I just needed to make the switch in Fog Volume Data without disabling the fog volume rendereres directly. Apparently that was causing the problem.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  36. deuxieme

deuxieme

Hi everyone,

Some of you seem pretty experienced with the technicalities of this asset so I'm hoping to ask about something I'm trying to achieve. Paging smart people like @wetcircuit @AFrisby @JonDadley @DavidMiranda :)

My issue is that I want to use multiple Fog Volumes in the same scene, with a different gradient effecting each. My particular application is room-based fog of war, wherein each room can be revealed individually when the player enters (at which point that room's Fog Volume's Intensity lerps to zero).

I am using the gradients as masks to shape the fog volumes to each room. Here's an example of one Fog of War room:

My method falls apart because I cannot correctly shape multiple rooms at once-- as soon as I try to add a second Fog Volume with a different gradient, I get this:

The first Fog Volume adopts the gradient mask of the second one. I've speculated on what is causing this, and I think it is because all Fog Volumes share the default material 'Fog Volume Material', which is created by the Fog Volume script. I have tried creating separate Materials for each Fog Volume using the included Shader, but it appears not to work. Firstly, the new material doesn't appear to accept any gradient, and the script automatically re-assigns the default 'Fog Volume Material' if it's ever disabled/re-enabled, or at runtime.

Can anyone guide me a little bit in the right direction? Am I simply doing something wrong out of the box? Or could this be achieved by altering the Fog Volume code that handles the 'Fog Volume Material' assignment which appears to be overriding my attempts?

Apologies for my vagueness at the end, I am not a coder but I am trying hard to make this work.

The ultimate question is: Can you have separate Fog Volumes reading from separate gradients with this plugin?

Edit: Providing the solution for anyone else who comes across this:

David informed me that the fix is as simple as adding this line to the Fog Volume script!

After doing this, now I have multiple volumes using multiple different gradients :)

Thank you David, your asset is great!!

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  37. floatpt

floatpt

For anyone who has the issue that after updating to 3.2 FogVolume doesn't appear in builds, but does appear when playing in the editor:
    I just updated to 3.2. My project looks fine when I play in the editor. But the fog volume disappears when I build and run on iOS. I fixed this by following AFrisby's suggestion:

commenting out the line in FogFolume.cs CreateMaterial() (about line 496)
    fogMaterial.hideFlags = HideFlags.HideAndDontSave;

niliturk and wetcircuit like this.
  38. mnmatos

mnmatos

Hey guys,

Have anyone used Fog Volume to render the results of a fluid simulation or something on those lines?
    What I want to know is: Is it possible to set the fog data directly based on data calculated by an external source?
    I do not want some random generated noise, I want the fog volume to show exactly what I want based on some three-dimensional data I have.

39. EricWilliams

EricWilliams

@mnmatos there's this:

https://twitter.com/BetaVersionOfMe/status/892451485103030272

40. Ekincan

Ekincan

I got 2 questions regarding this asset.

Is it possible to create volumetric lights using baked light sources with this ?
    Do the point and spoit volumetric lights respects shadows (even in Baked Mode)

41. elbows

elbows

That was my experiment. I already had the realtime simulation data in 3D Render Texture format, so it was pretty trivial to change a line or two of Fog Volume code to use a 3D Render Texture rather than normal 3D texture for the noise. Then its just a case of being familiar with the fog volume noise tiling settings and getting the right values. It was quite a while ago I tried this so may have forgotten some small details (eg might need to disable any fog volume code that makes sure the 3D texture is not null, if your data isnt available before fog volume initialises, cant remember since I've done the same thing with so many different systems).

42. mnmatos

mnmatos

Thank you for your help! I managed to change the color and transparency of each voxel by changing the gradient property from a 2d texture to a 3d one. Then, I override the gradient 3d texture with one that is a result of my simulation data. That works just fine in my editor, but when I build it, the fog is not modified in any way by my script and remains the same not changing over time as it happens on the editor. No error is thrown so I have no clue what is going on.

43. ThisGuyThatsHere

ThisGuyThatsHere

I see that author wasn't active here recently, but can you tell me if:

1. This works with HDRP?
    2. When I move the volume, will clouds "scroll" or unnaturally move?
    3. Is there any demo to check framerate drops?

44. elbows

elbows

Sorry to hear about your issues with builds. I've never tried messing with gradient texture (my stuff was messing with noise texture) and I'm not an expert about the way that shaders etc may not work the same in builds.

If any of my future experiments stumble on possible causes and solutions to this, I will let you know. Please let everyone know if you get it fixed and know the cause!

45. elbows

elbows

1. No assets like this work with HDRP without significant rewrites of various parts of the system.
    2. I dont think that issue exists with this asset at all. EDIT - I slightly misread your question. I cannot answer your question properly, and there certainly could be issues depending on exactly what you are trying to do.
    3. I'm not sure about demos. There are a lot of settings in fog volume that can make a huge difference to performance. For example the effect can be rendered at lower resolutions than the rest of the scene to improve performance, and there are a lot of settings that affect how heavy the raymarching is. There are a wide variety of demo scenes in the package and they have quite widely varying performance characteristics.

46. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

@deuxieme We where discussing about this by email, right?
    Just to show it fixed:
    2018-06-29_12-22-56.jpg
    Version 3.3.1

47. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Hi,

I’ve previously successfully built a project for VR by tweaking the ‘Fast clouds’ demo, I’m very happy with Fog Volume. I have two questions that I’m hoping @DavidMiranda or another cool person here might be able to clear up.

1. I’ve added a plane object at ground height to the ‘Landscape Shadows’ scene, and increased it in size to fit fully underneath the two fog volumes. As I move the camera around, the shadows within the lower fog volume appear and disappear depending on the angle of the camera. When the plane is turned off, this doesn’t happen, the shadows are always there. Presumably this is something to do with the Z testing?
    2. Where does the ‘horizon’ object need to be? Is it’s location important?

48. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Humm, I can not break it doing that
    Horizon. Maybe a bad name, it is the vertical position used to swap the drawing order of 2 volumes
    2018-07-04_11-23-26.jpg

When the camera is above the ground fv, we want to render the cloud layer on top

49. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Hi @DavidMiranda

Thanks for the reply and videos, that’s really helpful. I’ll check out where I’ve positioned the Horizon object, as I’m pretty sure I’ve been putting it on the ground level. I was seeing this issue with the shadow volume disappearing using Metal in OSX, so perhaps it just doesnt occur in DX11? I’m away this week, but when I get back to my computers I’ll also try to replicate the issue using both Windows and OSX, and to record a video if it still happens.

50. deuxieme

deuxieme

Yes, we did speak about it! You were a big help. Should I post the results of that here in the thread? Does someone need help?