Search Unity

Fog Volume 3

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidMiranda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. peterbrinson

peterbrinson

When I go to the Demo Content link (Dropbox) it gives me a 404 error. Is that not updated? Or am I doing something foolish?

2. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Performance improved in the latest version. Im getting around 80fps in the vr showroom (depending on how many pixels of FV are seen) and 90 in the other scene.
    VR.waitForGPU is always there. If there is something slow to render, like FV, then its time will increase too.

No FV:
    2017-09-06_6-17-02.jpg

With FV in full resolution:
    2017-09-06_6-26-30.jpg
    With FV half resolution and closer view:
    2017-09-06_6-50-50.jpg

Scotland VR without FV:
    2017-09-06_6-41-53.jpg

Scotland VR with 2 FV:
    2017-09-06_6-41-36.jpg

Obviously, VR eats a lot and we can not use FV without being very careful.

3. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I can just say one thing, DAMN IT!
    2017-09-06_7-15-22.jpg
    Here is the new link

4. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

That is not supported yet.

5. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Just updated the VR showroom video. We are now closer to constant 90 fps :)
    The room is quite complex, we have:
    • 2 Textured Volumes
    • Clouds casting shadows
    • 4 layers of glass shader
    Quite a lot for VR.

In the other scene we have:
    • 1 Textured volume
    • 1 Uniform volume
    • Screen effect

Lex4art and tapawafo like this.
  6. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

9ae584ee-0810-492a-8af1-bd7492587a64.jpg
    Here we go ;)
    Give us some time.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    DigitalNerds80 and wetcircuit like this.
  7. rod_lopez

rod_lopez

@DigitalNerds80 Regarding making FV work on Android (in editor or device) Does it show if you enable AntiAliasing in Quality settings?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  8. DigitalNerds80

DigitalNerds80

nice try @rod-lopez but it does not work :(
    tried with 2X and 4X

thx anyway!

9. SamSpain

SamSpain

Hi,

I've been enjoying messing around with creating lovely cloud effects. The tutorials and demo scenes explain how to do that pretty well.

What I haven't been able to see though is how to achieve these kinds of effects:

Last one being important because that's a result of a free alternative to this. Will this be a subject for future tutorials? I really want to make a cool spotlight effect made with this asset.

[Edit]
    This is as far as I've got messing around so far: https://i.gyazo.com/f73d3a2f9ae44f9753a63db2a07abe95.mp4

No shadows in the fog that you can see in the second picture and having lighting absorption at 1 makes any fog outside of the light (which I don't want to exist at all) to become black. Really, I would like the fog to only be picked up by the light and to be invisible when outside of the light. Is that possible?

Additionally, the light pulsates as I move: https://i.gyazo.com/6d08ceb1ed25bffbda3979c16e91b807.mp4

No idea why

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  10. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

@SamSpain Hi.
    • Shadows are not implemented yet.
    • Fog will be present inside and outside of the light range
    • The flickering is because of the distance between samples, yours is too large.

11. SamSpain

SamSpain

Hey David,

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit uncertain what "distance between samples" means here. What particular settings should I be changing?

Otherwise, really happy with results so far :)

12. redemprez

redemprez

Just started learning Fog Volume 3. I guess there is still lot before me. I plan to use it in desktop cinematics so framerate is no issue to me. I only hope that I will be able to learn it inside out :)

Cheers!

Mr-Logan, wetcircuit and Lex4art like this.
  13. Softgear

Softgear

We are also experience this issue. We even tried to take any of the demo scenes and build it to android with quality settings set to fantastic. Works in windows but no clouds in android.

It would also be helpful if the documentation could state what the graphical settings should be to make it work in android/IPhone.

14. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

We are currently testing on different hardware. Each machine has its own incompatibilities, so it is being a huge pain. Please give us some time.

DigitalNerds80 likes this.
  15. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

thinking of buying it, how does it fair with forward lighting with VR?

16. gwiasdeczka2

gwiasdeczka2

I am thinking of buying as well but I have no idea if that will work under iOS and what will be the performance impact if I used infinite clouds solution in my project. David, hows the testing going? What sort of performance impact can I expect?

17. Rokkr_0

Rokkr_0

It's not working when I import to an existing project, but it works on new projects. Suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

18. MINJU-KANG

MINJU-KANG

VR SHOWROOM content package link(Dropbox)... 404 error~!! help please~

19. Beloudest

Beloudest

Hi, Single Pass rendering is causing weird double vision side effects in the latest Unity beta 2017.2.0b11. Is Single Pass even supported? It's quite important for my games performance. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  20. gwiasdeczka2

gwiasdeczka2

David,

I am getting bunch of errors like below on iOS when the app starts, have you seen this before?

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/FogVolumeDirectionalLight' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/FogVolumeDirectionalLight' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/FogVolumeDirectionalLight' - Pass 'PREPASS' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/FogVolumeDirectionalLight' - Pass 'PREPASS' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/FogVolumeDirectionalLight' - All passes removed
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'VR/SpatialMapping/Wireframe' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'VR/SpatialMapping/Wireframe' - Setting to default shader.
    UnloadTime: 6.999333 ms
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Fog Volume/Depth' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Fog Volume/Depth' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Fog Volume/Depth' - Pass 'PREPASS' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Fog Volume/Depth' - Pass 'PREPASS' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Fog Volume/Depth' - All passes removed

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  21. Faye2441

Faye2441

Hi, I just wanted to share an issue I found with fog volume lights (and a workaround).
    Fog volume lights don't seem to play well with being made as part of a prefab and then instantiated into a scene repeatedly.
    They will work when first set, like this:

But after a few plays the fog volume light script seems to forget what it was, like this:
    These screenshots were taken from subsequent placements of the same prefab into a scene.

The prefab continues to look fine, but after being placed into a scene either manually or by a script it'll not appear as a light, and have that broken script on it.

I haven't been able to narrow down what triggers this, the time before they break has had a pretty wide variance, I thought it might be switching scenes, or deleting a copy of the prefab out of the scene, but none of those have been consistent.

I have made the lights work in my procedural generated levels by creating a light in the scene manually and turning it's intensity down to 0 so it's invisible. Then making copies of that light for each time I need it, and changing the settings on the copy to be whatever is needed for that instance.

tapawafo likes this.
  22. mimminito

mimminito

Will this work with ARKit? It uses Command Buffers to draw the device camera as the background.

23. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

my team lead bought it, & when we placed fog into our scene, in VR performance decreases to 24fps, highly unaccpetable.

Also your VR showroom link is down 404'd

24. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

80-90 fps:

25. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

not tested

26. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes, dropbox just cancelled the public folder.
    New link

27. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes, I have seen this in the log. But that does not seem to cause any problems.

28. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Start here

29. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

That version has not been tested yet. We work with 5.5.0 and both stereo modes worked fine.

30. Vl1dimir

Vl1dimir

Hi guys. I'm creating flight simulator and i thinking about to buy your system. But i have some important questions before buy:

1. It's easy to make my cockpit fly through the clouds? I mean - separate my cockpit\whole airplane model and your clouds - layers or etc.

2. How far clouds can be draw with nice optimization and quality? 5-10 kilometres ahead? Your system is good for flight simulator?

3. How your system works with SkyDome? (I wanna just turn SkyDome clouds off and fly with your clouds)

Current version - WIP

31. TheWarper

TheWarper

Can you please add a VR Showroom example scene to the bundled asset on the Unity store?

blitzvb likes this.
  32. mkgame

mkgame

In Unity 5.6.3f1

Hi, I bought this asset and have some trouble with. I'm using it for an RTS (top/down) game, where I want to to simulate a sand storm and cloud shadow on the terrain.

1. This asset needs 4 Layer! Horrible, I dont have for fog 4 layer, we have just 24 user defined layer. Please try to reduce it, or fully eliminate using layer at all. Another volume fog solution does not need any layer.

2. The noise is not affected by the directional light. I have day/night feature, with smooth blending between, in my game and the noise night looks too strong, or in day time hardly visible. Somehow, the fog should use the directional light to maintain a even effect day and night. Else, I have to build in a function to change the color by time, that could be pretty fiddly.

3. The examples look like test projects, not really convincing. What we see in the video is not in the examples. This is not that important, but disappointing.

4. Please make a documentation, that is readable. What you provide as documentation is a demonstration, it's verry annoying too.

However, the fog system looks pretty fast, stable and has lot of options too.

33. Digital-Dreams

Digital-Dreams

Hey there!
    Love the asset for a very long time. I bought the latest Fog Volume 3 as well and I just love fiddling with it.
    I'm really curious if it's also possible to use a cylinder primitive as a distance field mask? And if not, if you're planning on adding it as a feature?

34. inkostyakov_unity

inkostyakov_unity

Hello!
    Is it any method in FogVolume to move clouds inside object? For example, I want to keep camera and FogVolume in static place, and move clouds inside, like Scroll setting do. It would be nice to create infinite worlds.

35. dannykario

dannykario

Hello,

Q before buying:

I have a need for a large (~1000) small cubic fog volumes. with different sizes, spread out in the scene, where some of them created and destroyed dynamically (using code, can be prefab instantiation with different scale) through out the scene.

Platform is WebGL, assume strong GPU on the client side.

Is the FogVolume asset relevant for such scenario ?

36. JonDadley

JonDadley

Hi David,

I'm having issue with Fog Volume not showing up in builds. The volumes appear fine in editor but aren't present in builds. I tried adding the Fog Volume shader to the Unity 'always included shaders' list but this makes build times rocket to over an hour (normally it's about a minute).

Is there any way to prevent the Fog Volumes being stripped out of builds without using always included shaders - or to prevent always included shaders taking so long to build?

Glowing_Slab likes this.
  37. zelmund

zelmund

hi there
    have some problem after i creating fog volume
    seeing pink cube only:

Shader error in 'Hidden/FogVolume': failed to open source file: 'CommonInputs.cginc' at line 24 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with JITTER ABSORPTION
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME

EDIT:
    i think i found what was problem.
    prety strange but! in clear project shaderFogVolume is in Recources folder, but in work project it was in FogVolume folder...
    just moved shader and all fine for now. i dont know what it was... imported bug mabe?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  38. Drown

Drown

Hi there just a quick question - is it not possible to upgrade from Fog Volume 2 anymore ? That would be a huge bummer!

39. GaoYuan1

GaoYuan1

Hello, I need two camera to display, but this special Carlton, excuse me I should use what computer configuration is better, or how to optimize it better, thank you !

40. GaoYuan1

GaoYuan1

I don't know if the picture has been uploaded successfully. My frame rate is only 4FPS, and GPU and CPU are all full. Thank you

41. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

Note :
    FindFogVolumeData() will fail if the FogVolumeData script is assigned to a GameObject not named "Fog Volume Data". I moved the script into a more convenient location in my scene and had to find out why these errors occurred.

Also, in FogVolume::Update() the code doesn't check if m_lightManager is null and will throw exceptions.

42. JonDadley

JonDadley

@DavidMiranda after doing a bit more investigating on the problem below, it only seems to occur if the fog is of 'textured' type. Uniformed fog appears correctly in the build. I'm on Unity 2017.3b8 if this helps you diagnose the problem.

43. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Having a Blast with your Asset in VR!! :) I am doing a Blade Runner scene similar to the Neon Unity example and I was wondering if I can do rectangles of Volumetric light at all? Eiter as Rectangle meshes or an area light of some kind?

By the way the "Adam" Fog code failed in VR where your stuff works Brilliantly !!

44. elbows

elbows

So wonderful to have all the light stuff (eg point lights) working on Mac now (both OpenGL and metal). Great :)

DavidMiranda and wetcircuit like this.
  45. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Agree! Thank you for lights on Mac! This is fantastic!

Unity - Main Camera 2017-11-16 at 16.00.59.png

Lex4art likes this.
  46. Ldnicon

Ldnicon

Hello,

I've just bought this amazing package. Unfortunately I can't get it to work with my Oculus Rift in Unity 2017.2

I can see fog in the game preview and final build. But when I enable virtual reality support in the player setting I can't see any fog in my Rift at all.

Unity says:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FogVolumeCamera.RenderDepth () (at Assets/FogVolume/Scripts/FogVolumeCamera.cs:395)
    FogVolumeCamera.Render () (at Assets/FogVolume/Scripts/FogVolumeCamera.cs:448)
    FogVolumeRenderer.OnPreRender () (at Assets/FogVolume/Scripts/FogVolumeRenderer.cs:227)

Any idea?

Thanks.

Update: I've tested this in Unity 5.5.0. Still the same.

Update 2: It's working now. I didn't see the mention about stereo camera in the documentation.
    "To use a standard camera in stereo, make the game camera child of another gameObject and reset the camera transform". That's it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    DavidMiranda and clarencedadson like this.
  47. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

48. tapawafo

tapawafo

Hello,

Is this kind of effect possible using Fog Volume?

https://forum.unity.com/threads/screen-space-multiple-scattering.446647/

EDIT: I realize I should elaborate more - I understand that FV3 has light propagation for its fog volumes. I'm wondering instead, if, it is feasible and performant to use FV3 for general purpose fog, and/or low-hanging ground level fog. Also, is the density blur effect VR-compatible?

I'm also curious, I imagine this is incompatible with HX Volumetric Lighting, correct? Maybe a stupid question, just curious.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  49. malrion

malrion

In 3.2.1p3, my fog volume shows up as all opaque white with no noise in the build, but works perfectly fine in the editor. My camera is in another scene which is loaded first, and then the scene with the fog volume scene is additively loaded in afterwards, which works fine in the editor but completely breaks in the build. it's a Oculus VR application, using CenterEyeAnchor as the camera, and VRTK as middleware. Any thoughts @DavidMiranda?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  50. JonDadley

JonDadley

I was having similar problems and was emailing David about it directly. David sent me a copy of the asset package directly which solved half my problems - he suspects when he uploaded it to the asset store it didn't upload properly and said he'd re-upload it.

This only partially corrected my problem though - I have a similar setup to you (camera is in another scene and the fog scene is added additively) and it seems Fog Volume doesn't like this setup. Here's a hack that seems to make it work for me - create a scene which contains a camera and a clone of the fog volume you're using later (important that it's a clone) and is loaded before anything else. You'll notice this renders correctly in the build. You can then safely unload this scene and load your other two scenes as you would normally.

I have no idea why this works but it solved the problem for me. I'm assuming it switches something on or includes something in the build that would otherwise be disabled.

I need to reply to David and let him know about this actually - I'm not sure how regularly he sees this thread :)

malrion and Alverik like this.