Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fog Volume 3

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidMiranda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. dhuang

dhuang

the softness is already set to 1.

2. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Use the RT_Viewer and check that the depth buffer is showing coherent values

3. dhuang

dhuang

I turned on the RT_viewer, not sure what you mean by showing coherent values.

Attached Files:

4. sadicus

sadicus

Looking to update to Fogv3. Anyone using this with PlayWay Water system or Ceto?
    I've used CETO, and NUAJ They look great as stand alone but when trying to use both in a project the water + volume cloud weather systems seem to always have conflicts.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

In your example the base fog which is orange doesn't appear in the horizon of your refprobe, instead there is a blue fog that your refprobe lies inside is ignored.

Then why do you need premult or normal transparency and parameters which are typically 2D compositing concepts?

This doesn't help, neither does your snide attitude which is a constant on your thread. So how about you put away your ego for once and stop referring to your poorly written documentation. Instead explain things verbosely assuming we don't understand the inner functioning of your asset - I certainly don't. This will help.

6. No0B25

No0B25

I think he's been pretty patient with your questions up until now. I mean the man also has other things to do, like doing the stuff that stops him from implementing the shadow casting objects inside the fog volume feature that many of us are waiting for. :D

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

You're right man, I'm just super frustrated because I've spent so much time trying to coax it into working and can't. I'll keep an eye out because it looks stunning but for now I pulled it out and asked David for a refund.

8. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

We happy?
    2017-04-25_23-35-56.jpg

Let me show you some screens. There are new scenes and one more feature: density blur (WIP!). Its a camera effect that reads the Fog Volume opacity and uses it to blur the screen.

2017-04-25_16-10-02.jpg 2017-04-25_23-39-11.jpg 2017-04-25_23-38-58.jpg 2017-04-25_21-57-55.jpg

Lex4art, elbows, OCASM and 3 others like this.
  9. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hey! I have just bought PlayWay Water to check compatibility. Good news :D
    2017-04-26_11-42-35.jpg

Very bright clouds to see those reflections in action:
    2017-04-26_11-47-36.jpg

10. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

@sadicus Here is my scene, if you want to test
    Unity 2017-04-26 12-00-07-44.jpg

Attached Files:

Lex4art and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  11. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Looks great, is FogVolume also suitable for larger sceneries (50kmx50km)?

Marko

12. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Absolutely. There are no limits. And large size doesn't mean more expensive.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  13. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

That sound's great! I think I need it for my sim. ;)

14. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Nice. Read carefully the limitations before buying. In short:
    • Transparencies not allowed inside of the volume
    • Depth issues with VR

15. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thank you for the info David. I would use it for my ship simulation project. And the sim is not a VR project but I use also PlayWay's water asset. It looks like Fog Volume can create a very realistic look of the sim.

16. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Ah, then you have an ideal situation. You won't need to render depth, which is pretty cool. Background clouds is indeed the best scenery for this asset. If you get it contact me, I can set up it for you if you want.

17. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thank you for the offer David, I will buy FogVolume next month. ;)

18. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

19. rcgauer

rcgauer

Hello... Sorry if this is a noob issue, but I just purchased and am using to create sea mist in an Oculus OVR scene. Some camera motions expose a "tear" in the mist, as shown.... Changing fog dimensions sometimes reduces this... but I have never been abl;e to eliminate... What am I doing wrong? But the options thus far have been fantastic....

Attached Files:

• tear.jpg
      tear.jpg
      File size:
      251.9 KB
      Views:
  20. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Maybe the camera far clip plane is too low?

21. rcgauer

rcgauer

Ummmm... yes. Thanks

22. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Nice. Trying to render underwater? Humm, maybe I should provide an example of that. It will be quite nice to use the new camera effect for that.

23. rcgauer

rcgauer

Your tools are absolutely the most accessible option I have found to do so... and I would welcome all comments. I will post whatever we end up with. The camera is OVR, so I am learning my way around how to deliver good underwater stuff, and will tackle light rays and caustics if time allows.

24. rcgauer

rcgauer

Which effect?

25. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Oh, sadly you are using transparent shaders there :/

26. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

This
    2017-04-25_16-10-02.jpg

tapawafo likes this.
  27. rcgauer

rcgauer

Yeah... I saw that earlier and will definitely use for terrestrial dinos....

28. vice39

vice39

Hey!

Is this asset usable in VR?

I want to add rolling clouds with light shafts to my VR scene. Using the HTC Vive and running on windows desktop.
    Thanks.

29. rcgauer

rcgauer

For my part, I am using it on a (powerful) laptop with Oculus Rift and get great mist and clouds... FWIW. I am still learning... sure there is more to it than I have found.

30. vice39

vice39

31. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I can not yet :) I've been without my vive for several weeks now. UPS lost my vive cable somewhere. I ordered a new one last week. I will get it in 15-20 days. Sorry

32. vice39

vice39

@DavidMiranda ok, I am willing to buy and test, will you honor a refund if I find it's wonky or broken in VR?

33. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Maybe it would be better to wait?
    afaik, the only issue has to do with depth at close distances when we have a textured fog volume. This is: downsampling + scene collision + noise or gradients. In the case of background clouds, where we don't compute depth, there are no issues.

34. vice39

vice39

I can't wait 3-4 weeks, this project is due before that.

35. dhuang

dhuang

Vice, I have been using it for VR with Vive. The clouds work in VR, but if you have landscape amongst the cloud and turn on collision, where the cloud and landscape meets, you will see jagged edges if you downsample the textures. But if you keep the highest quality of textures the framerate will drop below 40 (tested on 1070 and 1080) and makes it not usable.

also if you have objects intersecting the cloud plane, with collision turned on, sometimes there some weird residual voids that is visible as you turn the head.

both of these issues you can see in my posts earlier on this thread a couple weeks ago.

As long as you don't have landscape intersecting with the cloud plane, this asset works fine in VR. So use it above or below your scene, but don't try to get the clouds to collide with your scene, it still have issues at this point.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    tapawafo likes this.
  36. dhuang

dhuang

Hi David,
    I am trying o do the uniform Fog, and I am making a fog volume to cover large area, around 600 x 600 x 600. I noticed that when I make it that big, the fog doesn't really work any more when that fog volume start to encapsulate objects inside. there would be no fog in front of objects that are inside this fog volume. Please see the video attached here (ignore my mumbling in the video). How do I setup the uniform fog correctly?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AQDFCvVYI8TVJhN0xiWGF4Y0E/view?usp=sharing

37. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hi.
    First, sorry the late reply. The forum doesn't notify me more than once.
    Well, I believe that your camera is not generating depth. Just make sure that your camera is building _CameraDepthTexture. Check this slide

38. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yeah, totally agree. Maybe there is a better method to do the "depth-aware" trick. Im not specially happy with the results. I need time to investigate. Thanks for replying regarding this imperfections.
    Textured fog colliding with world is not always giving good results. The very best situation for noise usage is when we render clouds in the sky. We can turn Depth off and use a high downscale value. Then we set Ztest to "Less Equal" and voilà

39. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Humm, if I were working in a company I wouldn't recommend to implement such a big/complex plugin just before the deadline.

tapawafo likes this.
  40. vice39

vice39

If only we lived in a perfect world.

41. Psycho-Designs

Psycho-Designs

Is it possible to use this plugin with a mesh to define the volume of the fog?

42. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

nope

43. Evanion

Evanion

CIG had a huge fog special in their latest weekly video.
    I think you would find it interesting, and it might give you some ideas.

It might be a different engine (cry engine/lumberyard), but the theory is the same after all.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Lex4art likes this.
  44. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes, thanks. I wish I had more time for this!

45. KarelA

KarelA

Hi.

Loving the Fog Volume plugin. Played around with it a bit.

Two questions. Does the shadowcaster work on Unity terrain? Currently the demoscene terrains are all meshes. Another question, can the fog color be changed at runtime?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

46. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

KarelA likes this.
  47. br90218

br90218

Hi, I just bought FV3 and I've got big problems working with it. I'm trying to make distinct clouds with Fog Volume Primitives, but what I have now is only this:
    upload_2017-5-26_17-50-5.png

(The clouds beside are just the skybox)
    Two questions here:
    1. My clouds are rippling, and it gets faster as I come near the clouds.
    2. In your Nebula example scene the clouds don't seem to be restricted by the primitive cubes. I mean behind the scenes they are, but they don't appear to be.

How do I fix these two problems? Thanks!

48. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, I'm very interested in this asset's cloud effects. May I ask that if I can twist some options the asset provides to create several different cloud types? Say not only cumulus, but also very thin cirrus or veil-like altostratus?
    And is it possible to integrate with other sky systems?, like Tenkoku or Time of Day that can provide their own sunlight and moonlight. And I just close their cloud renderings then set fog volume as clouds?

49. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

You can have more than one fog volume overlapping, each with different settings.

Getting it working with a TOD system will take some work, YMMV. Easy to link the assets to a common "sun" light, but changing sky gradients, ambient colors, and the sun setting behind the horizon will all cause you some headache.

50. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

What do you mean with rippling? Here is an example that may fit your needs
    It looks like this
    2017-05-30_11-25-53.jpg
    For a game like yours, where the camera travels fast and in straight line I recommend you to do the following:
    Open the shader and uncomment this line:
    2017-05-30_11-26-17.jpg
    Now go to the tab Renderer and do this:
    2017-05-30_11-26-09.jpg
    It will sample the noise tex with view aligned planes.

Sorry? :) Maybe you found that the shape was too large compared to the given primitive. We can overwrite the given primitives size here:
    2017-05-30_11-31-57.jpg

Fog Volume is not a cloud renderer or atmospheric tool.
    All of these real-time changes has to be done by the user to meet their needs. You can write scripts to send data to FV or animate them as I did here

Attached Files: