Search Unity

Focus Modes?

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by AndrewKaninchen, Jul 21, 2018.

1. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

In the Research tab of the Roadmap:
    upload_2018-7-21_16-47-4.png

I know this is not a beta nor yet an open experimental feature, but I'd very much like to know a little more about what it means in concrete terms.

Is this something like UE4's Editor contexts, which open as full windows as oposed to tabs inside other windows like in Unity?

Or, for something more akin to people used only to Unity, something like the Avatar editing mode, which instead of opening just another EditorWindow opens up an entirely different Layout with it's own tabs, including it's own Scene view?

I think this is a very important feature - if not the single most important one for Unity in terms of project scalability - and would love to have some idea of what the ideas are for it, even if it is very very far away.

Obviously I understand the need for secrecy around these kinds of things, especially to allow the teams working on it to be as free as possible to make drastic changes without people going crazy over it.

I'm asking just because I've been thinking a lot for a while about a very specific toolset I'd like to build on Unity that doesn't seem to be possible at all under the current window management limitations.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I believe it's what they demonstrate at around 7m22s:

3. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Yeah, it surely looks like it could be that. It's funny, I've watched it a couple times before but only now, doing it at the same time as I read the description from the Roadmap, can I make a concrete association. Probably due to my preconception about the roadmap thing being more about windows, which is what I really want.

In the video he mentions they want feedback, but I really couldn't find anything. Is there a subforum or something somewhere about it?

4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yep, that came from a hack week project. You can see an older video of it here present by Will Goldstone which is pretty funny.

AndrewKaninchen and Peter77 like this.
  5. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Thanks. Still quite sad it's nothing like what I need, but happy to know more about it. It actually looks like a nice idea.